It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• ongoing severe diarrhea

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-16-2004, 07:26 PM   #1
    tann73

tann73 HB User
    Unhappy ongoing severe diarrhea

Hi I've been reading all the posts here, and it seemed like a good place to post a few questions. Over the past 3 years I have had two acute attacks of pancreatitis, my thyroid removed, constant kidney stones, a diagnosis of chronic pancreatitis, and now my doc. thinks I may have ulcerative colitis or Chrons. Both my mother and sister had ulcerative colitis (they have since passed away) and my other sister said she was diagnosed with it in her 20's. I have been suffering terribly with constant watery diarrhea, sometimes there is foam floating on top of the water (gross I know), very dark watery diarrhea, and sometimes I'll have "normal diarrhea" which is halfway formed but very loose. I have very bad pains in my lower abdomin, have low grade fevers everyday (sometimes fever gets high), very dizzy, little appetite & extremely tired. I take prescription lomitil every morning just so I can leave the house for short periods of time without a diarrhea attack. I'll be having a colonoscopy soon, it's the only test I think I've never had done lol. I wanted to ask if anyone gets this very dark almost black watery diarrhea with the foam? what is the foam? how do I know if I have blood in my stools? sometimes looks reddish but I thought this was normal

Thanks,
    Tanya

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2004, 07:49 PM   #2
    DeAnnaV

DeAnnaV HB User
    Re: ongoing severe diarrhea

yes, i have this....do you notice it happens more so when your nerves are working on ya or stress out....this is IBS irritable bowel symdrome.....this is nothing more then your bowels being over active from stress or something you have eaten that may not agree with your bowels..your bowels are nothing more then muscular contractions...when something sets it off...a food or stress..it over does it and produces foam.....as though you have a full bowel movement awaiting....though you don't...but it thinks so by merely being triggered by irritating foods or stress....it works up a good mucus and by the time it is done...its foamy....it can be dark...or yellow..the yellow is your stomach acid..which is irritating your bowels and their muscular contractions.....blood is generally black in your bowels..but if you are bleeding internally near your exit point and see fresh bright blood....you probably have polyps...these will cause you to have frequent bowel moments...cramps and red spots of blood....if it is higher up in your bowels..it will look like black....i would not stress over it..but i have this problem also and have for years...bet you have polyps! and once they are removed you will feel soo much better....the seeping of blood could be causing you to get an infection that may be spreading through out your gastro track...though for some reason i wonder about your gallbladder in regards to the fever and bowel problems as a side player possibly....
    blessings of peace and good health!

Old 06-16-2004, 10:39 PM   #3
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Arrow Re: ongoing severe diarrhea

Tanya,
    Sorry about your problems!!
    Have you tried a water soluble fiber supplement like psyllium to bulk up you stool and slow the diarrhea down?? Unless you get rid of the loose stools you will continue to have malabsorption problems resulting in many other problematic symptoms but I guess you know that!!
    Blood that is in the intestines for a while will oxidize turning Black. I don't know want the foam is but fresh blood is red. Blood can be any color from bright red all the way to black.
    A simple Hemocult test is used to test for blood in the stool. You smear some fecal matter on a test strip and the color determine the presence of blood.

I certainly wish you well---Harry

Old 06-17-2004, 06:44 AM   #4
    tann73

tann73 HB User
    Re: ongoing severe diarrhea

Thanks for your replies! I have been having this problem for years, and with the chronic pancreatitis (which is very painful at times) it;s been miserable, I've tried everything, cutting out dairy, but nothing works, even when I don't eat anything all day I go to the bathroom up to 15 times a day without my prescription :/ My gallbladder was removed in 2001 after it became infected because of my pancreatitis. My fever's sometimes go up to 101, but am constantly running low grade at 100. My sister had poylps, and my mother did too, my grandmother died at 60 from colon cancer, so I have alot of digestive problems that run in my family. I do see bright red blood on the toilet paper, but I think it's from going so much. I have a colonoscopy coming up and hopefully it'll show what's wrong. Thanks again for your replies, much appriciated :-)

Take care
    Tanya

Closed Thread