It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• kefir???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-25-2004, 01:28 PM   #1
    anna-bananna
    Veteran
    (female)

anna-bananna HB User
    kefir???

Can any one shed a little more light on the topic of this I hear that it is supposed to increase digestion and overall immunity and so does probiotics. I have Herpes and that is the main reason that I would be taking to probiotics but now I also have hemms and I was wondering if anyone here knows if i CAN TAKE THEN BOTH TOGETHER ON A EMPTY STOMACH?? and I know that we can't post web sites but can anyone point me as to where to grt the kefir??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2004, 11:37 PM   #2
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Re: kefir???

Yes--- you can take them both on an empty stomach. Kefir has many different types of friendly bacteria. It has been used for hundreds of years. It is a food like yogurt. To find out information just go to Google and type in ---What is Kefir? and you will get loads of sites to read!!! I use Helious -- it is organic that I buy at a health food store.

Last edited by Harry; 06-27-2004 at 11:37 PM.

Old 06-28-2004, 08:27 AM   #3
    anna-bananna
    Veteran
    (female)

anna-bananna HB User

Hey I went to a health food store on Saturday and that is the same kind that I got although I could not afford to buy the probiotics at the saem time man those things are expensive like $35 but it has all 14 strains at least the ones thath seem to be the most common in the intestines? I also have another question Harry so you know if hemms can be eliminated by injecting them with a saline solution( something to be done by a doctor) think that I read something about it here on the board but it did not give a lot of info. and how long do I have to wait until I eat something after taking the kefir and porbics??? What differences have you noticed since you have started taking it???Sorry to be bombarding you with all these questions at once.

Old 06-30-2004, 02:23 PM   #4
    anna-bananna
    Veteran
    (female)

anna-bananna HB User

Harry do you make your own kefir, or do you always but yours? I bough some last Friday but it is already gone..the bottle was so small, and I did not seee a bigger portion to buy.

Also with the kind you make on your own it said that you could add your own fresh fruit to it and make it like a smmothie or something cause I think that it was only the plain kind that you mix the powder in. Also I have another question I have two things that I need to take on an empty stomach, in the morning and at night. What is the amount of time that you have to wait to eat or drink the Kefir before or after you eat something in order for it to be effective.

Do you just suggest that I get up like two hours earlier that I usually do to take the medicine (one hour for both of the medicinces)?? That might be kinda hard but I can't think of anything else in order not to throw me eating schedule way off as far as lunch.

Old 06-30-2004, 06:40 PM   #5
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Anna,
    I have used kifer grains to make it at home usually in a half gallon size. It takes up to 24 hours at room temp to make it. When you make it, the home-made product contains about 1% alcohol and does not taste anything like the one you buy that is flavored!!

I used it for awhile from the health food store before I found a person that gave me a small jar of grains to start my own. But, if you don't keep it right, the grains will go bad.

So now I buy it when I want some. The container is 32 ounces -- a quart size. I just drink it with a meal like milk or part of a snack . It is a food -- it is not a medication.

I don't think you need it on an empty stomach unless the milk like-- calcium based produce interferes with some other medication. I think it's effective anytime as far as re-colonizing your GI tract.

1 cup of flavored Helious Kifer has 8grams of protein & 23g of sugar ---160 calories more calories than just milk but yogurt has 10 grams of protein. A person is suppose to intake about 50 grams of protein daily to keep from losing muscle mass.

Tell me what are you using it for--- If it is to re-balance your friendly bacteria -- I have never just used kifer alone. I just use it as a healthy drink that will certainly help the friendly flora. As you made know it taste somewhat like buttermilk but has alot more active bacteri in it.

I think it was developed when there was no refrigeration to keep excess milk from going bad-- hundreds of years ago during the age of Mohammed. It has a very interesting history.

God Bless---Harry

Old 07-01-2004, 08:10 AM   #6
    anna-bananna
    Veteran
    (female)

anna-bananna HB User

well thank you for all of that useful information. I just discovered that I have hemms. I also have Herpes and I done some very extensive research on my own as to what can help or lessen the severity of each.

The herpes led me to the probiotics, I think there a few strains B. Longum and acidopholous that have been proven to have a positive effect on the virus, and has some of the same benefits of the immune system and intestinal tract as kefir.

The probiotics led me to the Kefir wich will also do the same thing but I was looking into the kefir more for the intestinal benifit and to aid in passing bowles.

I was asking about taking either on an empty stomach because every thing that I have read about either of then say that stomach acid that is produced from eating, will destroy the live bacteria. I have not heard of taking it any other way other than by it's self.

Is the kefir that you make tasteful, oh wait I think that you said that it tastes like butter milk I don't think I remember what that tastes like. Is it safe to add fresh fruits to it after you have made it, like adding it in a blender???I will have to check at my halth food store I did not see and kefir grains, but they did have this at home package in the fridge.

And just one other question how do you know that there are live bacterium in the probiotics like pb-8 or something I know that is says that there are these many bacterium garunteed at time of purchace but how do you know that the bottle is not old or expired or something??

Old 07-01-2004, 11:14 PM   #7
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

There are some brands of probiotics that are not effected by regular heat --- at least according to the makers. PB-8, Kyodophilus, Pearls, L.Reuteri and Primal Defense are some I have used and are very good.

Taking this stuff is not a perfect science. So, buy it and try it.

Harry

Old 07-02-2004, 08:24 AM   #8
    anna-bananna
    Veteran
    (female)

anna-bananna HB User

Thanks for the reply and I will try it and let you know how it goes.

Closed Thread