It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Question about Soluable and Insoluable Fiber

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2004, 09:34 AM   #1
    jasmine1976

jasmine1976 HB User
    Question about Soluable and Insoluable Fiber

Just curious, I know that you are supposed to have around 30 grams of fiber a day but how does that break up between the Soluable and Insoluable Fiber. Should you have 15 grams of each? Also, I have started eating a cereal with loads of both kinds in them. I eat it with a lot of milk but I know that you are supposed to drink lots of water when you have fiber. Should I be drinking extra water in the mornings besides the milk in the cereal? I am already so full after my cereal, I just don't know if I will be able to down much water. Thanks for the help in advance!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2004, 02:35 PM   #2
    Sherillc
    Inactive

Sherillc HB User
    Smile Re: Question about Soluable and Insoluable Fiber

Hi Jasmine,

Both kinds of fiber are essential for good health. Insoluable fiber is highly effective for helping with constipation as it is actual "bulk". Basically soluable fiber is soluable in water, meaning it dissolves in water. Soluable fiber does contribute somewhat to easing constipation, however it is mostly absorbed into the bloodstream. It's best functions are the lowering of cholesterol and it has a positive effect on glucose tolerance so is good for preventing diabeties.

As you may have noticed by now, most natural sources of fiber contain BOTH kinds. This is ideal. It is important to vary the souces of fiber you eat as well, so in addition to the cereal, try introducing some beans, greens, nuts, and lots of fruit and veggies.

Yes, it is good to drink water with the cereal as it makes it much more effective. You don't really want to bulk up your stool without softening it sufficiently too. It is possible to eat a lot of fiber and still have hard stools if you are dehydrated. Also worth noting: milk actually constipates many people so you may want to experiment with soy or rice milk on your cereal. Soy milk contains a lot of water and additional fiber and it does not constipate. Buy unflavored soy milk or if you are eating unsweetened cereal and would prefer some sweetness, try vanilla flavored soy milk. You may not like it right away, but don't dismiss it outright. Different brands can vary a lot in flavor and consistency, so experiment with different kinds.

Sherill

Old 10-11-2004, 06:49 AM   #3
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User
    Re: Question about Soluable and Insoluable Fiber

I've never seen it broken down to specific numbers for each. Insoluble is generally easier to get in your diet; but soluble is worth seeking out!

Closed Thread