It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• fear of hemorrhoid surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-08-2003, 08:59 PM   #1
    Snowe

Snowe HB User
    Unhappy fear of hemorrhoid surgery

I have had hemorrhoid troubles since I had my son in 1991. I have talked to a (General Practioner) doctor 2xs, and each time he told me the same thing: take short warm baths, and use anusol or prep-h if the itching/pain is bothersome.

OK. I listened to this doctor and have done what he's said. I've lived with hemorrhoids for close to 12 years now, and though it has not been pleasant, I have managed to cope with it.

Recently however, I have started having lower-back and upper-leg pain on my left side. This sounds so crazy, but it feels like a have a pulled muscle "inside", or like there is a large knot inside, about two or three inches "up". At times there is a feeling of pressure where I feel this knot to be, and other times there's a feeling like I need to have BM; although I know I don't need to go. Also, the itching is driving me mad!!!

I know I have both internal and external hemorrhoids, but this knot just doesn't feel the same. I can't really explain it. I know it's not my diet causing the problem, as my diet has always been normal--full of lots of grains and veggies, and my BMs have always been quite regular.

I am to the point, however, that I have to do something because at times this back-pain and pulled-muscle feeling will be so bad I have to just go lay across the bed until it eases up. I can't stand on my feet very long or the discomfort starts. Creams and warm baths don't seem to help. I can't go on like this, but I don't even know where to start!! What sort of doctor do I need to see?

I am terrified (and a bit embarrassed) they will tell me I need hemorrhoid surgery. Has anyone gone through this? How painful is it, and how long did it take for you to recover fully?

Please respond! ~~snowe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2003, 12:27 PM   #2
    sammy4

sammy4 HB User
    Actually if you skim down in the list on this page and on the subsequent pages this topic has been discussed a lot in the past few months. Read through those and then try to narrow you questions down to specifics and I'm sure someone will respond.

To start see your Doctor ask for a referral to a surgeon, Gastroenterologist, or proctologist or whoever deals with it in your area. Insist on the referral and ready your self for a bit of a wait, the speciallists usually have long waiting lists!

Next go on the internet and look at all the surgical options so you can be as informed as possible.
    Don't be terrified of hemmeroidectomies be terrified that somone will find out that you have been uncomfortable and in pain for 12 years without getting help! We always take care of every one else first don't we?

Harry will tell you the first BM after surgery feels like broken glass, others will say its not so bad. Some heal in 2 weeks some in 6. Its an individual things but when you look at it categorically, you will notice that 6 weeks compared to 12 years is nothing..... and then they are gone!

good luck
    sammy

Closed Thread