It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• My Naturopath/Dr. says no Kyodophilus for bacterial overgrowth of small intestine?!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-13-2003, 07:10 PM   #1
    xtian1

xtian1 HB User
    Post My Naturopath/Dr. says no Kyodophilus for bacterial overgrowth of small intestine?!

I've had 2 endoscopys. First (2yrs ago) showed nothing, second (month ago) showed delayed gastric emptying. GI then did abdominal ultrasound ((negative except for possible benign polyp on gallbladder), Barium abdominal x-ray (negative), small bowel follow through (negative), and CT scan of Abdomin negative (benign polyp on Kidney). I've had lower abdominal pain and bloating after eating for years now. Also a little red blood in stools once and a while (Docs say from straining/hemrroids). I also have a history of Arrythmias (positional and reactive to reflux, exercise) like pacs, pvcs, tachycardia etc... I also what I think are panic attacks. I've had every cardiac test in the book (I'm 37yr old male, 160pnds 6ft.) Anyway, my naturopath/Dr. finally sent me for a bacterial overgrowth study (Hydrogen breath test) and it came back strongly positive. He wants me to start taking Neomycin for 14days to get rid of the bad bacteria in my small intestine which he believes is causing the problem. I hate antibiotics and have the sinking feeling it's only going to cause more stomach problems. He say's we need to clean out the small intestine and says it's usually sterile. I told him I was taking kyodophilus along with his vitamin/herb regimen and he said "NO!! You can't take any acidopholis, ever!! Only as an enema!!! I don't understand this and was considering taking PRIMAL DEFENSE to alleviate my symptoms. Is Primal Defense the same as Acidophilus. Is Kyodophilus considered a probiotic?? I also read that Tetracycline was the appropriate antibiotic for getting rid of Small bowel bacterial overgrowth. Not sure why he wants the Neomycin. I'm on a wait list to see one of the best Motility doctors in LA (Appointment in Sept) and wondered if I should try the PRIMAL DEFENSE or if that falls into the acidophilus category. I'm scheduled to see a very good Dr. in LA who specializes in oriental medicine and only treats patients with herbs. I am also seeing a Rheumologist who says I probably also have an Auto-immune disorder (+ANA titer) and he put me on a Medrol pac for 6days. I'm currently on day 3 and am having bloating and occasional nausea. He says if I have the auto-immune disorder I will respond to the Medrol. I'm just worried the Medrol will cause serious stomach problems and can't wait till the course is over on monday. Too many docs and not sure who to believe?? At least the herbal gut looks for the underlying problem, and that should provide some answers. I hate taking drugs to cover up symptoms, I believe most of them will just put me in the gutter! Any advice for the stomach/antibiotics/probiotic regimen??

Thanks,

chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread