It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

Rectal Bleeding...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-05-2004, 08:08 AM   #1
Davidx17

Davidx17 HB User
Rectal Bleeding...

For the past week every time I have bowel movements blood comes out. I have no idea what caused it or what to do about it. Can anyone give me some advice? I read an article online that said it's due to a lack of fiber in my diet, is that true? What can I do about it? Is it serious? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2004, 08:38 AM   #2
chigs489
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User
Re: Rectal Bleeding...

Sounds like a fissure, especially if the blood is birght red and on the toilet paper.

Jump on it immediately! Start taking a stool softener twice a day, and at least one serving of Metamucil. Cut red meat and dairy out of the diet for a while, and avoid spicy food. Avoid the gym for a week at least, and take warm baths.

It should clear up, but if it doesn't, go see your doctor and see about medication.

I have 2 fissures right now, that I didn't act on fast enough, and now it looks like I'm headed towards surgery to fix the problem. It is a simple 5 minute surgery, and the recovery is pretty easy, but I'm bummed that I let it get this bad. Once the fissure becomes chronic, it is really touch to get rid of, and can hang on for months. It can also cause spasms and cramping -not fun at all.

Old 12-05-2004, 08:52 AM   #3
Davidx17

Davidx17 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiggins1066
Sounds like a fissure, especially if the blood is birght red and on the toilet paper.

Jump on it immediately! Start taking a stool softener twice a day, and at least one serving of Metamucil. Cut red meat and dairy out of the diet for a while, and avoid spicy food. Avoid the gym for a week at least, and take warm baths.

It should clear up, but if it doesn't, go see your doctor and see about medication.

I have 2 fissures right now, that I didn't act on fast enough, and now it looks like I'm headed towards surgery to fix the problem. It is a simple 5 minute surgery, and the recovery is pretty easy, but I'm bummed that I let it get this bad. Once the fissure becomes chronic, it is really touch to get rid of, and can hang on for months. It can also cause spasms and cramping -not fun at all.
I have walgreens brand of 100 percent natural fiber. It says "compare to the active ingredience of metamucil" should that work? What is a stool softener?

Old 12-05-2004, 10:44 AM   #4
FireWoman

FireWoman HB User

That should be fine. It's just the generic brand of Metamucil. A stool softener helps by keeping water in the stool, making the stool soft an easier to pass. You want your stool soft so that it does not scrape against that fissure or hemorrhoid or whatever it is that is causing the bleeding, and making the situation worse.

Old 12-05-2004, 12:55 PM   #5
twisten
Senior Veteran
(female)

twisten HB User

Make sure you're drinking lots of water when taking metamucil or similar products.

Old 12-07-2004, 03:47 PM   #6
Davidx17

Davidx17 HB User

I just signed up for a gym yesterday... wish I would have known... how will weightlifting affect my fissure or whatever it is I have that causes the bleeding? I don't see the correlation...

Last edited by Davidx17; 12-07-2004 at 03:48 PM.

Old 12-07-2004, 04:34 PM   #7
CDauthier
Inactive

CDauthier HB User

David, Any time there is rectal bleeding, it's best to go to the doc to get it checked out. It could be a fissure (I'm not that familiar as the rest with fissures) or it could be hemmroids (straining will make them worse) or it could be cancer. None of us are docs...please go get checked out. My best to ya. Cathy

Old 12-07-2004, 07:50 PM   #8
butterflytrans
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User

Wait...let's not get a head of ourselves here. There are many causes of rectal bleeding, and it doesn't necessarily have to be a fissure or "lack of fiber" in the diet. First of all, one quick thing, David, are you 17 (guessing by your name)? Are there any associated symptoms with the rectal bleeding like diarrhea? Stomach pains? Nausea? Vomiting? Is the blood on the paper when you wipe, or is it actually in the bowl mixed with the stool? Any black stools? That's a good start.

Old 12-07-2004, 08:25 PM   #9
chigs489
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

weightlifting aggravated my fissure big-time. Wait until it is healed before you go to the gym.

Old 12-08-2004, 05:49 PM   #10
UnaPregunta
(female)

UnaPregunta HB User
Unhappy Re: Rectal Bleeding...

Hello fine peoples.
Here is my problem. Lately..for about..I dunno a week and a few days, when I go poo I get some bright red blood on the paper. Its not dripping into the toilet and from what I can see, its not on the poop. I don't have any stomach aches, diarrhea, or vomiting. No pain, either. The poo looks normal.

I'm a 17 year old female who acts mostly like a normal 17 year old female does. I got to school which means I'm sitting on my arse a lot, but most kids do, I have a pretty bad diet which includes a lot of McDonalds, and school lunches. I eat barely and veggies or fruits. I also have a twin who does almost the same stuff as me, but as far as I know, she has no problems, that might meant nothing, though.

So can anyone tell me if I should be really worried about this? I really don't want to go to the doctor, I can't drive, so that means telling my mother, which will get to my siblings, which will get to my friends, which leads to a very embarassing situation. Any home remedies?

Thank you so much for any advice.

Closed Thread