It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• rowasa enemas

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-25-2003, 12:44 PM   #1
    hiphophousewife

hiphophousewife HB User
    Post rowasa enemas

Hi - I had been in remission from ulcerative colitis on asacol for almost two years when a flare started so my doc added the rowasa enema once a night. The urgency and blood has stopped but I still feel sickly with chills/low grade temp, weak shaky, feeling, tingling in the feet,occasional loss of appetite, body aches (I also have fibro which seems to be flaring)etc...Could this be from the Rowasa or the colitis itself? I have been on them for 7 days. I should also add I am 48 and having some pretty strong hormonal swings as well so it is tough to figure out what is what! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2003, 06:22 PM   #2
    rehoboth

rehoboth HB User
    I am female and 48 also and never had colitis problems until last year. I swear that it's hormonal (menopausal). I've used rowasa twice in the past year with excellent results but it (colitis) comes back after some time. I didn't have the adverse reaction you have. I've been working on diet alteration to subdue diarrhea and extreme gas. The bleeding continues and all my GI doc wants to do is another colonoscopy this time from top to bottom which doesn't make sense to me since the blood is bright red which means it's coming from the bottom not the top, right?
    Doc hasn't suggested any other meds to me.

Old 11-19-2003, 05:34 AM   #3
    Marg001

Marg001 HB User
    Hi there,
    As a sufferer of Colitis myself I would have to say that this sound like your Colitis. About a 1yr. ago I had the same symptoms. Went to the Gastro and they put me on Budesonide(Entocort) for 3 months, and also Cipro. It took around 6 mths. to heal completely and I haven't had a flare-up at all since. For your horomonal swings, are you on HRT? I recently went on it, seeing I was having the same, it really helped. I was learious at first, but I have had aradical hysterectomy done so I am not really worried too much about the cancer part. I hope this helps and good luck!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiphophousewife
    Hi - I had been in remission from ulcerative colitis on asacol for almost two years when a flare started so my doc added the rowasa enema once a night. The urgency and blood has stopped but I still feel sickly with chills/low grade temp, weak shaky, feeling, tingling in the feet,occasional loss of appetite, body aches (I also have fibro which seems to be flaring)etc...Could this be from the Rowasa or the colitis itself? I have been on them for 7 days. I should also add I am 48 and having some pretty strong hormonal swings as well so it is tough to figure out what is what! Thanks!

Old 11-24-2003, 07:20 PM   #4
    denniss

denniss HB User
    Re: rowasa enemas

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marg001
    Hi there,
    As a sufferer of Colitis myself I would have to say that this sound like your Colitis. About a 1yr. ago I had the same symptoms. Went to the Gastro and they put me on Budesonide(Entocort) for 3 months, and also Cipro. It took around 6 mths. to heal completely and I haven't had a flare-up at all since. For your horomonal swings, are you on HRT? I recently went on it, seeing I was having the same, it really helped. I was learious at first, but I have had aradical hysterectomy done so I am not really worried too much about the cancer part. I hope this helps and good luck!
    hi housewife,im dennis i to take the rowasa enemas at night.they do seem to help pretty good,but you have to understand that the enemas just take care of the lower half of the colon,not the upper part.thats how my doctor told me how it works,if you got it higher in your colon the enemas wont get that hight up and you still feel sick.thats is what is happening to me.i feel some what better with them but not a lot better.i dont know but that could be your trouble to.
    dennis

Old 11-25-2003, 02:23 AM   #5
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi dennis,

In addition to the rectal rowasa, discuss with your doctor to add Asacol tabs. That will help keep the inflammation down on the upper end of the UC.

I've used them both effectively for the past 15 years. I'm now on Asacol 8 daily and Salofalk (rowasa) enemas one every 5 nights. That's great for me....hoping to make it 6 next month.

Hi hiphophousewife, I hope that it's not the rowasa. Do you have that feeling all the time? Has your doctor done any other tests to make sure it's not a blocked vein or something like that?
    Do you get enough calcium in your diet, or from supplements?

Do you have any back problems?

Are you on any other medications?

I hope it gets sorted really soon for you.

All my best,
    quincy

Old 08-24-2004, 01:55 PM   #6
    pasquale

pasquale HB User

Quincy , I've recently been diagnosed with UC .

I dont get a chance to see my GI for at least another 3 weeks to discuss biopsy results / further discuss my UC condition because he is on vacation .

I suspect I have a mild case of the disease , but he did give me a prescription of Salofalk , 6 pills a day .

I also take 200 mg's of celebrex in morning , then at night for good ol' arthritis as well as a daily dosage of Metamucil (helps keep my stools nice and bulky)

I was wondering if it would be ok to take a multivitamin ?

I'm worried that a multivitamin might be a problem due to all the other meds in my system

I've been reading alot of posts and I see that many of ya's take a multi to help keep some nutrients in you , but I want to hear from you

Old 08-24-2004, 11:33 PM   #7
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I take supplements, I always have, so a multi shouldn't cause you any problems. None of my supplements have herbs as fillers.

I take Sisu brand, GNC and Natural Factors. I don't have everything in one, but some individually based on what I believe I need. A multi, vitamin c, vitamin mixed B, calcium/magnesium with D, Vitamin E.

If you're male, tho.....I don't think it's advised to take any with iron.

When you take the metamucil...make sure it's not just after you take your meds.

I take my Asacol (same as salofalk oral) morning and night. 3 x 2

I take my vitamins after I eat morning and then before I go to bed with my asacol.

It doesn't seem to have any effect (negatively).

The metamucil would be the only concern from my perspective because it could block the topical action of the 5ASA.

Please discuss with your doctor rectal meds.

How far up is your UC?
    What are your symptoms....diarrhea, bleeding, mucous?

Has the oral salofalk helped so far?

It's awesome stuff from my perspective....I've been using 5ASA for over 15 years. I will avoid prednisone at ALL costs.

The arthritis can be a direct correlation to your UC. You can possibly get tested for ankylosing spondylitis to find out if that is what you have. If so, then it's directly related.

If you're flaring now, maybe once the meds kick in...you'll be able to lower your dosages. As well, another reason to use rectal meds to keep your flares controlled and the inflammation down.

I can relate to back and body pain...I've had it all my life. But, I've not really been incapacitated by it alone, only when I've hurt my back. So far, tylenol is working when I need it, or robaxacet. I'm not looking forward to the future pain-wise.

do you find that any kind of exercise or massage or even accupuncture can help you as well?

quincy

Last edited by quincy; 08-24-2004 at 11:45 PM.

Old 08-25-2004, 05:03 AM   #8
    pasquale

pasquale HB User

thanks for responding quincy .I am a male , 38 yrs old

-I usually take my metamucil around 3 pm all by itself
    -salofalk , right after breakfast 630 am , right after lunch 1pm , then right after supper (anywhere from 530 -630 PM)
    -celebrex , same time as my salofalk b'fast and supper

Prior to be diagnosed , I had always though celebrex was irrittating my stomach and causing the bleeding .therefore I would take metamucil daily and the bloody stools/mucous /urgency would go away .I would inform my reg doc and he didnt seem too concerned about my bloody stools because he liked the way I had success in eliminating the problem by using metamucil /which led him to believe that I didnt eat enough fibre /thus causing constipation which led to bleeding.

Little did I know that since age 22 , the incidents of 3-4 bloddy stool/mucous flare ups per year were ulcerative colitis .So , I strongly suspect I've had the disease for 16 years without being diagnosed /treated .Well , I guess I was sort of treating it by taking metamucil daily which would keep it in check .

How far up is it ? not sure just yet , like I say , my GI is on vacation until Aug 31 so I'll have to wait until then to book and apt. to discuss my biopsy results et all .

after my colonoscopy , a registered nurse was the one who came to talk to me to inform me that he found that I have UC .she gave me assorted pamphlets and my prescrition to salofalk and basically told me to book an appointment with the GI in 3 or so weeks when he returns from vacation .I suppose the GI's dont have time to come visit the patients after the colonoscopy because there were 3 or so guys ready to be rolled into the room immediately after me to have theirs done .almost seemed like a pridcution line .He was talking to me during the procedure but I dont remember much because the sedation made me a bit woozy .Only thing I remember asking was ''what is that yellow stuff''? and he said ''mucous'' .The RN showed me pictures of my ulcers.She said they were not in bad shape and that they caught the disease nice and early (even tho I suspect I've had it since 22 ?? )

So far I think the salofalk is helping .My stools seem to be normal in color as well as shape .I'm wondering though if I really need to be taking salofalk though because as I say , metamucil seems to keep things in check all in itself .I've also read in a few other threads that metamucil does the same for others as well .some have even said that it doesnt even feel like they have UC anymore thanks to it .

the multivitamin I purchased is from gnc as well .Its called ''mega men'' with chlora seal coating.I dont think I see iron listed but there are 10 or so minerals ,zinc ,copper,magnesium etc...

Arthritis -since age 22 .bed ridden or wheelchair without my meds .With my meds , I'm at least able to work part time and get around decently.thank God my wife is a nurse as she is pretty much the bread winner in the family.I'm very intrigued at the prospect that my arthritis is somehow related to the UC .Would taking salofalk (which reduces the inflamation in the colon)help my arthritis ? For example , if the colon isnt inflamed (thanks to salofalk)would the arthritis simmer down ?

diet -My diet isnt or should I say wasnt the best prior to being diagnosed with UC .I'm about 30 pounds overweight and havent hit the gym in years .

I have since starting to eat better , joined the local gym and decided that I want to fight back v.s UC and arthritis .The diet part is the thing thats confusing to me because prior to being being diagnosed , I could eat almost anything and by taking metamucil I would not have flare ups .So , when I visit different UC websites and see what should be eaten /not eaten ....then visit another website and hear the exact opposite of what should be eaten /not eaten I get even more confused !

However , I do want to smarten up with diet and eat foods that are easier on the colon so that it lasts longer and I can live a longer life without the disease progressing faster than it should.

sorry for rambling . its just that you are the first person to respond to any of my messages here and I appreciate you lending an ear .....

Last edited by pasquale; 08-25-2004 at 05:03 AM.

Old 08-25-2004, 10:32 PM   #9
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi pasquale,

Wow, you certainly have been dealing with it a long time for sure.

The metamucil would definitely absorb the excess water from the bowel therefore lessening the diarrhea or urgency. It would also absorb the blood and mucous, but you may be on to something as a treatment as well. It probably wouldn't help with inflammation, but I don't know...
    It helps me for flares with diarrhea...I only use it during that time. I don't like the bloated feelings with it, so I don't use it daily.

I would still recommend the rectal meds...since UC starts at the anus. The oral meds really can't treat the rectum, they keep the inflammation down above the sigmoid or just into it from above. But, since UC spreads upwards, the oral meds are good to use as well.

It would also depend on how one flares...some people have flares not very often, others cannot get off meds.

By all means, and this is my own personal opinion....AVOID prednisone for UC unless you're in a flare that other meds can't touch and it's a very short term taper. There are so many people pred dependent....I don't get where doctors thinking is when they set patients up for that.
    Really pathetic from my perspective.

It's possible that your arthritis is related to your UC. But, there are many other reasons people get arthritis, and they don't know what causes UC as of yet. Have you had blood tests to determine it's arthritis? What kind did the doc say you have?

There seems to be foods that will limit the inflammation of arthritis. I have 2 friends that see a naturopath and the person has them off milk and wheat. The one woman is free of all arthritis meds since she cannot take them at all. So, that could have some validity. As well, I heard not to take any omega 6, for it makes inflammation worse.

UC..hmmm, well there's debate as far as foods. The SCD limits grains, yeast..etc. If one is willing to be regimented it might work. If you're wanting to lose 30 pounds, that might be something for you to consider.

I avoided wheat products when I was first diagnosed....the reason was because most bread has milk in it and milk seemed to make me worse. I ate rice bread instead. But, I was so severely underweight, I actually didn't care afterward because the stress of "not knowing what to eat" was too much for me.

I eventually found I could basically eat anything, except salads when in a flare. I never ate whole wheat or "hard-core" fibre even since I was a kid because of cramps and gas. I still can't.

But, you're already getting the fibre issue figured out....look into the SCD and see if it can work for you. Don't forget many people thrive on strict regimens. I don't, and thankfully my doctor said food doesn't cause flares. He said to be patient with the meds and after 15 years, I have the juggling act down to a science. As of my last colonoscopy, I'm cancer-free and my UC hasn't spread. So, we're doing something right there.

Exercise will definitely help getting things moving and relieving pain...I hear yoga is good.

I take aspirin for headaches, I get lots because of neck and shoulder problems. My doc knows. I also take tylenol for muscle aches..etc.
    My liver enzymes are elevated and it was suspect I had PCS (scary for sure). I refused the ERCP (scope) to see if it was indeed happening because it can trigger pancreatitis as well as PSC. I'll wait to see if anything else emerges to warrant the scope. My enzymes are still elevated, but that could be because of the 5ASA. So, that's that.

We do cope the best we can, but the goal of using meds for UC are to keep inflammation down and to keep it from spreading upwards. 5ASA is an awesome med and can be used for flares as well as maintenance.

If you have any other questions or comments about UC, ask and I can find out info for you..or lead you in the right direction.

quincy

Old 08-26-2004, 03:05 AM   #10
    pasquale

pasquale HB User

thank you very much quincy .I'll keep in touch once I see my GI and reg doc for follow ups .

Closed Thread