It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Fiber Supplements

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2003, 06:44 AM   #1
    Jane X

Jane X HB User
    Post Fiber Supplements

I'm just a little confused about something. I take Citrcucel 3 times a day: 1 scoop in the morning, 1 in the afternoon, and 4 pills at night. I read the following information and now I'm not sure if this is good...

"The dosage information for IBS that I have been given by doctors and fiber supplement manufacturers, and that I believe works best for preventing IBS symptoms, is as follows: For the powders (Citrucel, Benefiber, Metamucil) start at 1 teaspoon twice a day and over the next week or two (or three or four) work up to 2 tablespoons twice a day, or the equivalent of 10-12 grams of soluble fiber per day. If you're using pills (Equalactin, FiberChoice, Citrucel, Fibercon) start at 2 pills twice daily and work up to 2 pills six times daily, or the equivalent of 10-12 grams soluble fiber per day. You can also mix and match the powders and pills (for example, take the powders at home but keep the pills on you at work or for taking before restaurant meals).

If you're combining powder and pill supplements, I think it's definitely best to make sure that your total daily dosage is equal to what it should be for just the pills or fibers alone. You don't want to take the maximum dose for the pills and then take the maximum dose for the powders on top of this. Please note that the supplements are not meant to be the main source of fiber in your diet - they are an addition to the fiber you need to be eating (both soluble and insoluble) from foods.

I take the maximum dosage, is it bad to do that?

[This message has been edited by moderator4 (edited 10-13-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2003, 08:02 AM   #2
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Jane,
    There are some people involved with making a living from selling things to people with digestive problems as well as all illnesses.

I suggest if you read a web site that is selling alot of stuff to "Cure" your problem --- be careful-- it may not work for you but only works for them to make money. I have also found personal testimonies on many sites are worthless--- they don't include the BAD ones.

Just read it and make your own decisions!!! If it sounds too good to be true it usually is!!!

God Bless---Harry

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 10-13-2003).]

Closed Thread