It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

hemorrhoidectomy and polyp removal...help!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-26-2004, 08:40 AM   #1
antique
(female)

antique HB User
hemorrhoidectomy and polyp removal...help!

Hi everyone. I have been reading alot of the stories and have many still to read. I just had a colonoscopy and the colon was clean. They found a polyp just at the opening of my butt. I thought all these years it was hemorrhoids of which I do have there too. I seen the surgeon who said I should have the hemorroids removed at the same time as the polyp...the polyp is a centimeter size. The polyp is right at the opening, protrudes and I can't figure out why it was never noticed as a polyp as it is very obvious that it is different looking from the hemorroids. Anyways, I have been reading all the recovery time and the pain involved and it really sounds terrible. My hemorrhoids appear to be right around where the polyp is and the surgeon said several stitches involved. My surgery is scheduled after the first of the year. Please write in and give me any advice on all your thoughts, any suggestions for preparation, to do's, not-to-do's, just any help or thoughts are all kindly welcomed. In some of the stories I can't tell where your hemorrhoids were located, whether they were higher in the anus or where. Mine appear to be right at the opening on the inside. Any one similiar?? Thanks......the now 50 year old "antique"!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2004, 09:34 AM   #2
ktee_uk
Senior Veteran
(female)

ktee_uk HB User
Re: hemorrhoidectomy and polyp removal...help!

Hi there

I had exactly same as you. It is a common area for polps and hems to grow and docs sometimes refer to them as skin tags. I cannot remember which comes first, the polyp or hem. Anyhow, mine recurred and I had to have the surgery twice, about 5 years apart. It is an unpleasant experience. V.painful. The first 2 weeks are the worst. For prep, ask you doctor but in my case i used a mild laxative for 2 days before op and drank only fluids (soups) during those days. It is important to make sure that your BMs are soft and regular. Make sure you have plenty of painkillers for after the op. Do not try and do anything strenuous for a while. For cleaning yourself up after a BM, I found it best to jump into the shower and use cool water (also soothing) rather than using toilet paper. When it started to heal a little I could tolerate a soft cottonwool pad either soaked in warm water or with a cold moisturising cream on the cotton.

regards

Old 01-10-2005, 08:56 AM   #3
antique
(female)

antique HB User

Thank you so much for your reply. I am just getting back on the computer since my surgery. I had surgery on 1/5/05...now my 5th day. Haven't got any word on my polyp yet, but, I am taking pain meds, colace and some laxative. This is just terrible as you know. I am just wondering how long you took the laxative....how long until you have a regular BM, I am not eating much; soaking in tub night and day, sore and raw......when did you have your first regular BM and when did you stop the laxative. Can't believe yours came back......is that common and do you expect them to return again according to doc? Any and all info you can share would be appreciated. I will be checking the web site now since I am pretty much here in bed, at home all the time now. looking forward from hearing from you and anyone else out there.

Last edited by antique; 01-10-2005 at 08:58 AM.

Old 01-10-2005, 10:09 AM   #4
FireWoman

FireWoman HB User

Hi there Antique,

When I was going to go through with the surgery (I chickened out) on my post-op instructions, he told me to only take Konsyl (a soluable fiber supplement) and Mineral Oil every night before going to bed. He said to only take a laxative if I did not have a BM for 3 days. From what I hear, laxatives are really harsh on the surgery site as your BM's are more acidic and really burn coming out. I have never heard of a surgean doing this type of surgery, prescribibg a laxative for everyday use. I hear the goal is to keep your bowels movements soft and bulky - not liquid. I have goten this info. from numerous websites and also from reading all of the hemorrhoidectomy posts on this board. Maybe you might want to call your doctor and ask him about that.

By the way, just curious, what made you finally break down and have the surgery?

I hope you feel better real soon,

Dana

Old 01-10-2005, 08:04 PM   #5
Rolex
(female)

Rolex HB User

Antique, I would not take a laxative, they caused me to have spasms all day and very painful. Just take colace.- three times a day. Get some bran and oatmeal and start drinking a lot of water. I think you should eat more and try to keep BM regular.

I had this surgery 9/24/03. am finally better but it still hurts a little when I have a BM. you should go to the thread hemmoridectomy blues and read all of it. It will take a while but you will learn a great deal from others and what works best for this kind of surgery.

I took a lot of percocet the first 7 or so days. It took a while to get over this but it will get better.
Good luck and take care.
Rolex

Old 01-12-2005, 01:53 PM   #6
antique
(female)

antique HB User

Hi Firewoman and Rolex,

I so appreciate your responses....truly and thanks so much. The reason I had the surgery is because I had a colonscopy and they found a polyp just on the inside of the anus. The polyp had been there for many years and infact, I thought it was a hemrmorid simply because I have had two kids, several pap smears and nobody said it was a polyp and it was there........right there, could not miss it, a little over a centimeter in size. My surgeon said we should go ahead and do the hems too, so I did. I did read all the health board info and I really had second thoughts; I was really scared. I talked to my doctor who said if they have to go back in again, have it out all together the first time which made sense......as you all know, so very painful. When where you all up out of bed back outside walking around......in pain I know, but how may days did it take until you felt good about getting dressed, stopping the baths, etc...? Again, thanks so much for the replies and I look forward to hearing from you again.

Antique

Last edited by antique; 01-12-2005 at 01:55 PM.

Old 01-12-2005, 02:50 PM   #7
FireWoman

FireWoman HB User

Hi Antique,

Actually, I had the less painful PPH procedure. It was less painful, but it didn't get rid of my externals. It took me a LOT longer to recover than most because I suffered from horrible constipation the entire time and it just kept re-injuring the surgery site. I still have to have the procedure on my externals, but I think I might wait awhile for that. I really really hope you feel better soon.

Oh, and to answer your question, I have heard that people who have had to undergo the traditional procedure took from a few days to a couple of weeks before they were up and around. It all depended on the severity of the surgery, pain tolerance, if they were able to keep their bowels soft etc... This surgery is so strange because I have heard people say that they were fine after 2 weeks and other after 6 months or so.

Again, I really hope you feel better soon and keep us updated on your progress. We all like to hear how the hemorrhoidectomy patients are getting through their surgeries.

Dana

Old 01-15-2005, 09:51 AM   #8
antique
(female)

antique HB User

Hi Rolex and Firewoman:

I see that my last posting doesn't show. Not sure what I did wrong. Thank you both so much for replying and sharing your experiences and advice with me of which I "treasure"! This is now my 10th day and I am doing much better. I am taking the colace and metumucil now and no more laxative as you suggested and so far....okay. For those out there getting ready to have this surgery, I am peeing just fine and have been for several days now; the BM's are still done in my little sitz bath that fits on the toilet seat with hot water in it. It feels like I may have to do this for a few more days only........I pray! I am up now; I actually was able to be out of bed on my 8th day and stay up and sit awhile; as you all know, the problem is not being able to sit and/or tolerate the pain. No more pain pills except for one each morning so I cover myself for the BM....LOL>. I am really smiling as of yesterday and today......there "is" light at the end of the tunnel. I see my surgeon for my first followup next Thursday....but I think so far, so good.....I hope. Every single one of you out there have been more help and support than I could ever begin to explain. I feel as though we are actually related in some way..........you have all been my lifeline and unless your in this position, one just can't understand that I guess, but truly, I love you all. I will check in later and in the meantime.....best wisher to all.

Antique

Last edited by antique; 01-15-2005 at 09:53 AM.

Old 01-15-2005, 10:24 AM   #9
FireWoman

FireWoman HB User

Awww thanks Antique,

I ws soo hoping you would be feeling better and I am glad that you are able to tolerate getting out of bed, if only for a little while. I have heard that each day gets better and better so you have lots of better days to look forward to. I am also glad that you are off the laxatives. Yikes, that could have caused you a lot of problems. If you get to a point where the metamucil and/or stool softners aren't working, and you let a day or 2 go by with no BM, you can always try a little Milk of Magnesia before you go to bed. I usually only need a couple of teaspoons if it has only been a couple of days since I have gone. That usually does the trick. Any more than that and I am going all day.

Have a great healing day

By the way, do you have anyone home who is helping you out?

Firewoman

Closed Thread