It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Fiber Choice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2005, 12:40 PM   #1
    EchoeB42
    (female)

EchoeB42 HB User
    Fiber Choice

Just windering if anyone has tryed this product (FiberChoice Tablets) and their opinions...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2005, 07:21 PM   #2
    MrOwl
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MrOwl HB User
    Re: Fiber Choice

Fiber Choice is my choice. They have more fiber and are easy to take (chew). I like the flavor of them. Also there is not mixing with water like so many of the fiber supplements.

Old 01-08-2005, 04:27 AM   #3
    mudhound
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mudhound HB User

I just use the walloy world brand. Orange stuff

Mudhound

Old 01-08-2005, 05:05 AM   #4
    EchoeB42
    (female)

EchoeB42 HB User

Thanx Guys, thats what i was thinking, LOTS easier and theres more fiber per dose, I just have a fear of ANY type of meds and wanted some opinions, with so many med scares today you just never know, you take these tablets, once, 2 x's a day? I thnk im going to start once a day then go for 2 and stop a dose or 2 of my metamucil pills. ( I take 3 doses a day)

Old 01-08-2005, 06:24 AM   #5
    MrOwl
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MrOwl HB User

I do not think of fiber choice as a "medicine" since it does not have any potent chemicals in it. I consider it just a part of my diet I eat when I think I am short on fiber for the day.

How much I take depends on how much I need. I try to keep my fiber and water at a level that gives me two or three good bowel movements a day.

I try to take them between meals. This keeps me from having some very minor gas when taking them.

Be sure to take enough water during the day! Fiber without water will not do you much good. Water seems to act differently then tea, coffee, or soft drinks. These products tend to come out a urine, and do not help to keep the contents of the colon soft. Just plain water keeps the contents colon in good shape with the "excess" passing as urine.

Let us know how you make out and and suggestions you might have for others from your experience.

Old 01-08-2005, 07:07 AM   #6
    EchoeB42
    (female)

EchoeB42 HB User

thanx again Owl,I will let you know how it goes, the main reason i wante to try the Tablets is this..when i take the Metamucil capsules or cirtucel pills, for a good 2 hours after wards I am Pee'n like a crazy woman, yes I know we need water and all but I pee 5 x's a much as i take in, makes no sense to me, yes i do drink soda but only a max of 2 cans per day and NONE after 3 pm, so I dont know, maybe I have a bladder problem along with the IBS, so anyway, am goint to give the Tablets a try and hope for the best,I also have a major bloating probleming and the more ai eat the more I bloat, i start out small in the morning and have gained 1 1/2 inches by night is totally ugly, dont want to get into the probiotics discussion, have tryed all that and yogurt, nothing seems to help, so again will see how it goes with the Fiber Choice..

Old 03-22-2005, 02:34 PM   #7
    IBSForever?
    (female)

IBSForever? HB User

I had exactly your problem! I was taking Metamucil, and became more bloated during the day. I finally found out the reason for this was the Metamucil!!! Even with continued use, it made me gassy and really bloated. I have switched to ground flax, and my bloating has disappeared overnight!!!! I hope this also works for you! All the best.

Old 03-23-2005, 02:48 PM   #8
    EchoeB42
    (female)

EchoeB42 HB User

I tryed flax also, for the first week i thought i had found my miracle cure until the 2nd week, i could not stop going! I know i was full but my goodness!! So i had to stop cause going to work was not a fun ordeal for me, I was only taking 1 Tbls per day after having worked up to it.. then after all the cleaning out was done i was into the severe cramping and just now am getting back to normal (huge belly and all) so I guess i would rather be bloated and gassy than in way too much pain. I am back to met. tablets 3 x's a day and 1 Fiber choice after supper, working my way up to 2

Old 03-23-2005, 04:03 PM   #9
    mudhound
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mudhound HB User

I've never heard of ground flax. Does it come in the reg stores?

Mudhound

Old 03-24-2005, 04:41 AM   #10
    EchoeB42
    (female)

EchoeB42 HB User

maybe a health food store, i ordered mine on-line, do a search, u will finds tons of info- i guess it works well for some and not for others

Old 03-24-2005, 08:59 AM   #11
    mrs fudd
    (female)

mrs fudd HB User
    Smile Re: Fiber Choice

Flaxseed worked wonderfully for me for over a year...then diverticulitis put me into the fiber spin and I haven't reintroduced it yet...may be too rough at this stage...so am now just introducing small amounts of finely ground psyllium and metamucil. However, the whole flaxseeds can be bought at he healthfood store in bulk and I grind them in my coffeegrinder to consistency that's right (very fine is best) and take 1 tbsp in juice or sprinkle over food, as oftn as it takes. The bonus this way is it provides a good portion of omega oil etc....keeps in freezer indefinitely or at least in fridge. Room temp does away with that benefit but still works as fiber...good luck!

Old 03-24-2005, 09:21 PM   #12
    resection
    (male)

resection HB User

Hey you all need both soluable and non-soluable fiber in the diet. I think The Choice is non derived from pectin. I use both Metamucil wafers (apple) plus the Fiber Choice in Citrus. They both go down easy. Eat several servings of veggies and fruits and drink plenty of water. You will feel great and poop like a cat. Oh, you can get flax seed fairly inexpensively at Wal-Mart in the vitamin section. Sprinkle on your cereal, in yogurt, wife puts into muffin and biscuit mix. Sprinkle on salads. It goes down fairly easy too.

Peace,

Rex

Old 03-26-2005, 12:30 PM   #13
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I agree with Rex-- A person needs both soluble and insoluble fiber to have healthy BMs.
    Fiber Choice is derived from the fiber in veggies and fruit like the fiber in raisins, bananas, asparagus, artichokes, garlin, onions, chicory roots, etc.

It does not absorb fluid/water since it is OK just to chew the Fiber Choice tablets up and swallow with little or no water, it is basically an insoluble fiber.

I think it would be best if you like and take Fiber Choice to also make sure you eat the foods that are soluble so your stool is bulkier. This cleans out your colon better resulting in a healthier colon.

I take psyllium fiber that is the water soluble fiber supplement in Medimucil, Konsyl, Equate from Wal Mart and others and eat fruit and veggies daily for a health, regular BM w/o straining!! I have been doing this for about 22 years. I just wish I had started sooner!!!

God Bless---Harry

Old 03-26-2005, 05:19 PM   #14
    EchoeB42
    (female)

EchoeB42 HB User

Hi Harry,
    I do take the equate psyllium, just wanted to try something else in hopes it would help with the bloating also..and the deal with water for me..I will get rid of 3 x's the amount i drink so i dont think any or much is getting absorbed-I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Old 03-28-2005, 11:16 PM   #15
    gomer4
    (female)

gomer4 HB User

Harry-----could you give examples of soluble and insoluble fiber.
    Thanks.....Lori

Closed Thread