It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

Laxative abuse- Just stopped! HELP!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-08-2005, 07:33 PM   #1
nimbeth
(female)

nimbeth HB User
Question Laxative abuse- Just stopped! HELP!

Hi,

I stopped taking laxatives today, which consisted of:
1. Glycerin suppository- 2 - 3x everyday
2. Milk of Mag -occasionally (not everyweek)
3. Dulcolax Pills (3)- maybe once week or every other week.
4. Dulcolax suppositorry w/bisascodyl.- 1x everday or two

I did not take these all together everyday. The only thing that I did use everyday was glycerin supp. Also, I did not take more than the recommended dosage.

I did have a colonoscopy, only to find nothing wrong. The Doctors gave me Zelnorn, and Miralax they worked in the begining before I started into this "laxative world". But recently I was diagnosed with hypothryoid which was the casue of the constipation (incomplete evac., slow motility).
Anway, probably June or July of this is when I really started with various laxatives on a more regular basis (meaning I used one of various laxatives daily) But, recently I found that they did not work like they used to.

I want to know if my bowels will get better, I need hope that I can have a regular bm. I am sorry to ramble, but right now my body is so uncomfortable.

What should I do?

Thanks
Beth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2005, 09:36 PM   #2
MrOwl
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrOwl HB User
Re: Laxative abuse- Just stopped! HELP!

Lots of water and fiber help most folks get on a normal schedule of at least one comfortable bowel movement a day. You may need to consult a colonic irrigationist to help you over the transition from laxitives. An occasional enema can help the transistion as well.

You might also try one the many herbal colon cleaning programs. Many of them are designed to clean you out with herbal laxitives and then transistion you make to have good bowel movements without assistance.

In your case my first recommendation is to talk to a good colonic irrigationist. One helped me out when I was have problems.

Old 01-09-2005, 05:36 AM   #3
nimbeth
(female)

nimbeth HB User

Thanks MrOwl-

I have neve heard of colonic irrigationist. Where do find one? How long did you use laxatives? To be honest I have really used them daily for about the last 6 months or so. Hopefully because I have not used them for "years" my colon can retrain itself.

If anyone else has any other ideas, that would be great!

Beth

Last edited by nimbeth; 01-09-2005 at 05:37 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to nimbeth For This Useful Post:
sonam21 (09-16-2012)
Old 01-09-2005, 06:28 AM   #4
MrOwl
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrOwl HB User

You they can operate in your state you can find them in the phone book. One does not hear much about them because they are not part of they not part of the standard medical empire. People at health food stores can probably help you find one. While you are there look at their colon cleansing products. Look for one that has you taper off at the end and come back to unassisted bowel movements.

It has been years ago and I do not remember how long I was on laxitives. I am sure you can retain yourself since you were only on them for six months. The only problem would be if you had spinal nerve damage or something like that.

Old 01-09-2005, 07:00 AM   #5
nimbeth
(female)

nimbeth HB User

No, I have never had nerve damage. Like I said the only thing that I have is Hypothyroid, and constipation is one of the symptoms of this. I have developed constipation the last 18 months. Prior to that is very normal, I had plenty of fiber in my diet.

How long did it take you to retrain your bowels?

Thanks
Beth

Old 01-09-2005, 08:14 AM   #6
Molliegirl

Molliegirl HB User

I had abused laxatives about 10 years ago until they did not work any more. I started to eat All-Bran w/extra fiber and yogart and it helped me become more "regular". For the past 3 years I had stopped eating the ceral and then I started to have problems. Two years ago I did not have a bowel movement for over a week and went to a doctor. He did a x-ray and it should my large intestine and part of my small intestine were blocked. He told me to do an enema, take Ducolax and Citricil. None of those things did anything. I then found out about colonic irrigations and made an appointment for one. It took 3 times a week for two weeks before I was able to have a bowel movement on my own. It was the only thing that helped me! I now take fiber and herb supplements for my colon and if I don't I start having problems again.

Mollie

Old 01-09-2005, 10:11 AM   #7
MrOwl
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrOwl HB User

It took about 6 weeks if I remember right.

Make sure you water is right up there along with the fiber!! 2-3 liters a day.

Old 01-09-2005, 12:19 PM   #8
nimbeth
(female)

nimbeth HB User

Thanks-

Well to my amazement I had BM not very much, but I had the urge and it came. Hopefully this is a good sign!

Old 01-09-2005, 01:58 PM   #9
MrOwl
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrOwl HB User

GREAT! Keep up the good work! :-)

Keep your water intake a little high and respond at the first urge.

I am sure you will be able to get back to going easily with out laxitives.

Old 01-10-2005, 08:05 PM   #10
nimbeth
(female)

nimbeth HB User

thanks for the help

I finally went today, but I dont feel completely empty. But at least I did not take anything!

Thanks
Nimbeth

Old 01-11-2005, 01:46 AM   #11
healthynow
(female)

healthynow HB User

Hi Nimbeth,
Try going on a wheat-free diet. It practically saved my life! I was diagonosed with inflammatory bowel disease 7 years ago and after much heartache with temporary relief drugs and many hospital stays, I went on a wheat-free diet a year ago and haven't looked back. I know you don't have the same symptoms but having a weak bowel it doesn't make sense to be on a high fibre diet. I was told the same thing = eat more fibre but it made things so much worse. Give it a go for at least 3 months. Hope it helps.

Old 01-11-2005, 06:14 AM   #12
nimbeth
(female)

nimbeth HB User

Healthnow-

Does that mean cutting out metamucil, and bran type cereals. Would sticking to Citrucel and benefiber be better?

Thanks.

Old 01-11-2005, 06:37 AM   #13
MrOwl
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrOwl HB User

Since you are starting to have unassisted movements I would stick with what you have going for you.

Even if you do go wheat free you would not give up the fiber supplements.

Again a huge part of this is to keep you water intake high. I have found that to keep my bowel healthy water is the most important thing, followed by fiber and exercise.

If you do get some hard stools or feel that you bowel is slowing down then a small plain water enema could be used as a temporary means. They work immediately, and are less habit forming then laxitives or packaged enemas. Most importantly they do not have strong chemicals that disrupt your body natural processes.

Keep us posted. It sounds like you are doing better.

Old 01-11-2005, 05:59 PM   #14
nimbeth
(female)

nimbeth HB User

Mr. Owl

I dont think wheat really is my problem given I have hypothyroid, which slow down my digestion process to begin with, I am being treated with medication. But they the constipation will only go away till my meds are optimized. I do have prescriptions for Zelnorn and Mirlax. The Zelnorn seems to only work for about a week then I need to stop for a week or two-then repeat the process.

Today, was not so good no bowel movement and my tummy is looking 6 months pregnant it is very uncomfortable given the water and *rap! Would taking a glycerin suppository be okay, what do you think?

Old 01-11-2005, 06:36 PM   #15
MrOwl
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrOwl HB User

Sure, that would be ok, or better yet try a small enema. The enema is less harsh.

I am not surprised that from time to time you will need some assistance until you are fully turned around.

Closed Thread