It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• question about salofalk supp.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-11-2005, 11:41 AM   #1
    CD1234

CD1234 HB User
    question about salofalk supp.

Hi, can somebody explain to me how to properly take the salofalk supoositories? I tried for the first time last night but I'm not sure if im doing it right?

How far deep do you have to push it? I kept pushing it in, but if i removed my finger it would slip back out.

Can someone that has taken this explain to me the proper methods?

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2005, 01:29 PM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: question about salofalk supp.

Hi,

The suppositories should be placed in with you either laying on your left side, with your butt in the air, or while you're sitting on the toilet.

You don't have to really push them up that far. But, if it consistently slips back out, you might try squeezing your sphincter muscle tight just when you're taking your finger out.

Are you using them at night or during the day?

Do you have UC? If so, what other meds are you on?

quincy

Old 01-12-2005, 04:56 PM   #3
    CD1234

CD1234 HB User

hi quincy thanks for responding and shedding some light to this for me.

from what i understand i just push it in and then hold there by tightening up my 'butt cheeks', right? thats good, cause i did not like the idea of having to stick it even deeper there it already was ...

its at night only (2 of them)...

I was 'diagnosed' with UC about 3 months ago...i have bizarre symptoms i guess. i have failry consistent blood in my stools (but far less then before since I've changed my diet). now ill have blood about 1 in every three bowel movements and usually have 1-2 bowel movements / day. when the stools are hard i'll have blood, when the stools are soft there is no blood.

I take a probiotic everyday (Bio-K). it helps to keep my stools soft. I also take aloe vera juice once to twice / day. In addition i take 125ml of organic yogurt mixed with two teaspoons of flax seed oil every day.

i stay away from liquor, booze, and fried food. i avoid wheat as much as possible and sugar only on special occassions. I'll keep my body fluid with as much water or juice, and when im not lazy ill juice vegetables.

I have no stomach pains what so ever, i never had diarrhea at all, gas is regular (some of 'healthy' freinds let out way more gas then i do). so the only major symtom is blood. The colonscopy showed an inflamation of the colon (they said the intenstine was clean).

I've seen a natu***th and she is conviced we can get rid of the UC with a detoxification. I beleive so too, with my own logical diet plan i've seen tremendous improvement, but i do still have blood on occasion, and that does bother me emotionally, i guess in the back of my mind when i see the blood i keep thinking im a high risk of potentially getting something much worse than UC....

Do you have UC also? What have you done to treat yourself and the symptoms?

Old 01-12-2005, 10:18 PM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi,

No wonder it's slipping back out...two? Yeah...I'd tighten those butt cheeks really hard for sure. I've only used one at a time, not two.

You won't get rid of UC through a naturopath. Aloe vera juice is contraindicative (it's a laxative) and there's no proof it works on UC. If it did, the pharmacutical companies would be all over it. To me...it's a waste of money..but that's only my opinion. It won't hurt you unless you're allergic to it.

if you still have blood on occasion...you're still flaring, but flares can last a while.

UC isn't just a colon disease....it's an autoimmune disease that can affect other organs in conjunction with it.

Yes, cancer is higher in UC patients past the 10 year mark...that's why having regular colonoscopies is a must. Cancer is higher in UC patients who have more of their colon involved than with distal (lower portion) UC. There are always exceptions.

It's great you have no diarrhea...that shows it's just in the rectum.

5ASA meds are still the best treatments for UC. They treat as well as help to keep inflammation down. I would suggest you try the Salofalk retention enema rather than the suppositories. Don't you find they leak???? I used them for a while, but refuse to use them now.

I was diagnosed 16 years ago with UC (rectum/sigmoid). I had explosive bloody razor-like diarrhea 15 times a day. Finally....got diagnosed and was put on 5ASA (Asacol 6 daily and Salofalk retention enemas..at this time nightly and will start tapering to a maintenance).

I take a probiotic...in the process of trying a few different ones. I'll check into the one you're taking. I also take vitamins and an Omega 3 (hempseed oil). The carob covering of the capsules are definitely giving me gas tho. I do get gas from foods...and eat them according to my activities and want of comfort level.

I don't really avoid any foods, other than ones that have always bothered me such as high fibre foods, raw veggies such as broccoli..etc. fried foods, alcohol...
    I love chocolate and sometimes overdo on sweets. I also drink coffee with milk.

Food symptoms aren't flare symptoms nor will food cause flares.

My suggestion is to really get to know your symptoms and understand that you can control them well with 5ASA.

STAY AWAY from prednisone and only use it as a very last resort....VERY last resort!!

Consider the retention enemas...they come in 2000mg and a 4000mg dosages (suppositories are 500mg each) The enemas treat all of the rectum and beyond up into the sigmoid. The reason I'm suggesting them is because UC spreads upward. If the medication isn't reaching all of the inflammed area..it will still be flaring.

Suppositories are great for maintenance...but I wouldn't suggest them for a treatment.

Something for you to consider when you talk with your doc.

Use your "gut instinct" with the naturopath. Be cautious, because there have been some who only went naturopath and ended up with pancolitis where they only had proctitis when they started. A big risk from my perspective. The red flag to me is when someone claims to know how to get rid of something that has no known cure aside from surgery.

Just be reallly smart about UC and do a lot of research. Know your symptoms. Take care of yourself mentally and physically. It's lifelong and flares happen throughout your life...or only a few times.

My UC hasn't spread at all...as a matter of fact I only flare in the rectum as of many, many years. I haven't bled in 13 years during any of my flares.
    I do find that stress triggers flares...but it's usually the calm after the storm and when I'm on maintenance meds.

It seems you're on the right path tho. I congratulate you for using your meds, and for looking after yourself physically. It sounds as though your mental state is in the right place.

You do have other forms of 5ASA options to try as well if you're not getting your flare controlled. Make sure they're tapered properly once your flare symptoms lessen. I can explain that to you at another time (don't want your eyeballs to fall out).

I hope you get over your flare soon!

Be well
    quincy

Last edited by quincy; 01-12-2005 at 10:23 PM.

Old 01-14-2005, 07:11 AM   #5
    CD1234

CD1234 HB User

Hi quincy.

Hope all is well.

I think you misunderstood, when I said "I take two" I did not mean two at a time! lolll couldnt imagine putting two at a time!

For the aloe, i take it because it's good for my blood type. I try to diet based on foods that are beneficial for my blood type (you can check out charts of these foods on the Internet if you're interested). I find that staying away from the Avoid foods helps me. Even though there isn't enough sceitific data to backup the blood type theory in practice it works very well (for me at least, but the human body is soo complex that everyone is different and reacts to things in different ways).

you right about the autoimmune diease. my liver and kidneys are weak too. my immune system as a whole is 'weak'. I've read about Transfer Factor (and that it boosts the immune system) have you every heard of it, or even tried it or know people that have tried it? Does it work?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but what is 5ASA? Im guessing it's a medication, right?

I take omega 3's too everyday. i dont ebelive they give me any extra gas then i already have? i do know that when I eat prunes ..stay away!

Ill ask my doctor about the enema instead, it sounds like its more viable for what I have too...

Just to be sure, how do you know when you're having a flare? I have blood from time to time does that mean Im flaring?

I guess im still confused and 'new' at UC...

question for you? do you find you get tired 'quickly'? meaning, ur endurance is just not 'all' there. I find i cant play sports as well..my ednurance is low...and it sucks cause sports i used to be good at i can barely compete anymore cause im just too tired to move!

also, have u ever got any skin rashes? ive had a chronix 'rash' on a small patch of skin that just wont leave! cortozone gets rid of it (but so does polysporin) and then it just comes back after a month or so...the longer it ever left is when i did a serious detox (fasting). during the detox my rash left and was gone for over 2 months. then when i started eating 'regular' stuff again the rash has come back as regular as it was before the detox.

ST

Old 01-14-2005, 10:37 PM   #6
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi,

Firstly...lol, clarify you take two suppositories. You mean one at night and one in the morning?

5ASA is 5-aminosalicylate. It's a derivitive of ASA...but a separate molecule of it...not the same as aspirin, but an anti-inflammatory. The chemical name is mesalazine or mesalamine or olsalazine. Salofalk is 5ASA. I'm in Canada...Salofalk isn't available in the US..it's called Rowasa or Canasa there I believe.

Just for you to remember...with autoimmune diseases, boosting the immume system too much can trigger attacks. Many of the "big gun meds" for IBD are immunomodulators or immumoinhibitors. There's a fine line there.

I've never heard of Transfer Factor..I'll check it out. Is it a product or a philosopy of how the body works?

So far, the Omega 3 seems to be fine for me as well. I think the gas really is from foods and the fact that I'm in a small flare.

As far as flaring....blood always means flaring (unless it's from hemorrhoids or a fissure). With the membranes so inflamed, the stool passing over can cause some of the bleeding. But, it does mean you're inflamed.

For me, at this time..I know within a day or two for sure that I'm starting to flare. But, I do put it off on occasion for a few more days just to make sure. Some flares can hit quickly, depending on a person's situation.....stress/distress of a crisis situation may even postpone the flare from happening (my hypothesis) because of the excess adrenaline....but as soon as things have quieted down, the flare will hit. It could also be that the mind is elsewhere and not focussing on the body as well. Natural defenses can only carry us for so long.

For me, I will notice more gas and discomfort, especially after eating...not even offending foods. I will sometimes have a bit of mucous with stool, or even mucous alone with the urge for a bm. I also have anal/rectal sensations such as "crawlies" or like throbbing, but without pain. Nausea happens more often as well.

Within a day or two I'll probably have pain upon a bm and possibly more frequent bms. I'm normally one a day, sometimes two. But if above that, I'll suspect. The pain will be accompanied by vocal whimpers, some groans or cries and a white knuckling (for the benefit of others in the house possibly ;-) )
    That's the positive sign and I start the rectal meds back to nightly. The rectal cramping and nausea will continue long after the bm. I take Bentylol for that and sometimes Gravol as well.

This time around, I didn't wait for the pain....I just started meds nightly because of the discomfort, rectal/anal sensations and SEVERE nausea. The flare before Christmas didn't get the usual care, I hurried the meds and tapered too fast and even missed a night or two. So, here I am, back to square one and feeling tons better.

Tired....I definitely forgot to put that down....YES, especially before a flare, with other symptoms I'm zonked, severely cold and needing a nap NOW!! I'm not into sports, but must get my butt exercising more.

As far as your competing...I would say that once your flares are controlled more closely you'll notice a severe increase in your stamina. Listen to your body and rest if you need to. Do sports that don't require much competitive physical input. Your excess fatigue could be compounded by mental distraction of trying to "keep well". It's not something that comes without a consequence...after it's adapted, life will be better. Ignoring the fatigue too many times can definitely lead to other problems...but maybe a short nap will revive you quickly.

Eating regularly, even using a power shake or protein shake or something that is OK with you to take can keep your body going and give you that extra energy. When fighting a flare, sometimes eating smaller meals but more often will help. Actually, it's a good idea anyway I think.

Rashes...I have eczema (asthma), and do on occasion use corticosteroid cream. This year is the best so far. I use 2 Lubriderm lotions (unscented and Sensitive) all over my body after shower and over the spots I put Neutrogena Norgegian Formula Body Moisture Lotion. I've rarely used the cortisone cream this winter.

I also don't use soap all over my body daily (just the important parts!). I also find that when I eat too much bread products or sugar (I have a sweet tooth but curbing it) they get worse.

The chronic spot could also be a yeast infection? Maybe try Triacomb (sp?).

Most of us with IBD have skin "manifestations". I have one on my face that I'm now having to go to the dermatologist. It's a bit wonky lately ..hmmm, not liking that. I've been using Elidel but it's not cleared up at all in ages.

It all seems related to autoimmune responses. They definitely come and go....but always in the same spots. I guess we're lifers for that too.

The only thing I would strongly suggest is for you to enquire or better yet...request trying the Salofalk enemas. The goal for me as suggested by my doctor is to keep the areas that are not affected...not affected and clear from inflammation. As well...to keep the inflammation dealt with as quickly as possible. I personally don't think what you're using is quite enough....and you could suggest starting with the 2 gram bottles rather than the 4 gram.
    They're to be used at night...and you could even use the suppositories in the morning.

I strongly remind you that the tapering is important, but I can explain that at another time if you enquire.

It still sounds as though you're doing really well...I hope your fatigue lessens soon.

Have a feeling well weekend!
    quincy

Old 01-20-2005, 06:55 AM   #7
    CD1234

CD1234 HB User

Hi qunicy, thanks for replying! sorry for the delayed response as I never noticed the > next page link! (thats what happens when you're a newbie).

transfer factor is a pill (i think) from what i've understood but dont quote me on that!

have u heard of taking vitamin D or zinc to help with your symptoms? on occasion i will take a vitamin D and zinc supplement, i dont notice much, really, but i read somewhere that it was beneficial for people suffereing from UC and the like.

i guess its odd for me, at least from what you described me. You see, although i have blood, sometimes pretty bad, to me at least, i have no other symptoms. no stomach pains, NEVER any nausea, in fact my appetitie is always high. and i beleive its the salofalk thats making my more tired then usual.

in your opinion, is there any way of knowing whether its a 'flare' or a fissure thats causing the bleeding?

good health and strength to you, quincy.

cd1234

Old 01-21-2005, 01:00 AM   #8
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi CD,

If you have a fissure, you will more than likely be able to see it visually by squating over a mirror.

The Salofalk might make you tired....but, for some who have UC, the fatigue can be totally overwhelming. You are on such a low dosage tho.

I take Vitamin D from GNC included in the Cal/Mag. The zinc I take 10mg twice a day. I wouldn't say my symptoms have improved by taking it..but the dosage isn't high. I take both daily.

Appetite....I eat, eat eat! I've never gone without food! When I'm most nauseated, I change what I eat..but I find that eating eases the nausea, so that's in my favour methinks! Weight has never been an issue till this year (probably from my antidepressant and more sedintary lifestyle). It's humbling to have to change eating habits. But, to my benefit now that I'm 50.

Haven't looked into Transfer Factor..will do that as well.

Now..please clarify this for me....how often do you use the suppositories? nightly, twice daily..? still confused about that obviously.

Happy Friday!!
    quincy

Old 01-24-2005, 07:02 AM   #9
    CD1234

CD1234 HB User

Hi quincy. I take Vitamin D and Zinc as well..not daily though, cause i forget!

the dr. recommended i take the salofalk twice nightly (before going to bed). So i take one, takes about 20mins for it to dissolve, then i take the other..so for me it's like 1 hour ritual almost, every night..quite annoying i must say..i havent felt any side effects (yet) except for the fatigue but that might be from something else unrelated to the salofalk.

my dad always says if you're hungry then you'r not sick! (works to keep my spirits up, i must say)...

have you ever tried a detoxifier for the the gitestive tract? ever hear of the term "leaky gut"?

take care/

Closed Thread