It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• hemorrhoidectomy Post Op Recovery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-12-2005, 04:09 PM   #1
    DLM4499
    (male)

DLM4499 HB User
    hemorrhoidectomy Post Op Recovery

My wife is going to have a hemorrhoidectomy in a few weeks. I need some advice on making her recovery as smooth as possible. I have read the following advice for after the surgery:

"The patient may experience considerable pain after surgery as the anus tightens and relaxes. Medications to relieve pain may be used. To avoid straining, stool softeners will be used. Avoid any straining during bowel movement or urination. Soaking in a warm bath can bring additional comfort. Expect complete recovery in about 2 weeks."

By the way, we have three children; 1, 6 and 8 years old. Grandparents from both sides of the family come to help out during the week.

I really want some information on what my wife should expect during the recovery and how much physical assistance she will need? Help in walking, going to the bathroom, bathing, etc.???

More information; my wife is planning to have a tummy tuck and a breast augmentation 3 weeks after the hemorrhoidectomy. Any advice or opinions on having the surgeries so close together?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2005, 04:21 PM   #2
    FireWoman

FireWoman HB User
    Re: hemorrhoidectomy Post Op Recovery

Oh boy. In my humble oinion, YES, those surgeries are waaaay to close together. A hemorrhoidectomy is supposed to be one of the most painful surgeries and she may need quite some time to recover. Some people don't recover for 6 months or so. She will DEFINITELY need help for at least that first week, probably even longer (especially w/ a 1 year old). Ok, there is a thread on this Bowel Disrorders message board called "Hemorrhoidectomy Blues. Will I Ever Recover From This Surgery" It shouldn't be too terribly far down on the list of threads as people visit it and comment on it all the time. Please read over it. It is probably one of the most popular threads and as a result, there is a LOT of info to read through, but please please do so. You will find a wealth of information about hemorrhoidectomy recovery, what to expext, possible complications etc...

Hope this helps and I wish your wife good luck with the surgery and a speedy recovery.

Dana

Old 01-12-2005, 05:44 PM   #3
    Rolex
    (female)

Rolex HB User

I would not schedule the other surgery that close. I had this surgery 9/24. My husband was traveling to England in Oct and wanted me to go. There was no way - at 4 weeks I was still soaking in the tub and in pain. I still have a little pain with each BM and it will be 4 months soon. But everyone is different so maybe it wont be so bad for her.
    I took percocet every 4 hours the first 7 days or so.

Good luck to you.

Old 05-22-2005, 05:21 AM   #4
    Charmane
    (female)

Charmane HB User

Hi...I'm scheduled to have a hemorrhoidectomy in 2 days. I have internal and external ones. How did your wife's surgery go?

Old 06-04-2005, 05:09 PM   #5
    arrasrubio
    (male)

arrasrubio HB User

I just had my surgery 2.5 weeks ago. I could not imagine having more surgery on other parts of my body within the next 6 months let alone a few more days. As you will see, most surgeons do not divulge al of the details about how complicated, painful, traumatic and humiliating this experience can be. I have always though that I have a high threshold for pain. I have NEVER felt this much pain in my life...even during my worst "flareups" of my thrombosed hemorrhoids. Despite all of this, my surgeon says that everything "looks great" and that I just need to realize that there will be good days and bad days. Still waiting for a good day. Postpone the other surgeries...for her sake and yours.

Closed Thread