It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

diverticulosis, ibs and alternatives

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2005, 08:58 AM   #1
mrs fudd
(female)

mrs fudd HB User
diverticulosis, ibs and alternatives

Hi, with thanks to Harry and all of you. I am new to the forum and VERY thankful already just to find you. This is a lonely path! I have been off Flagyl and Cipro (diverticulitis attack) for 4 days and just now starting to feel more like me. It was reassuring to read the forum and see I was not alone with some of the side effects of Flagyl AND in my fear of becoming constipated after low fibre during this bout. I would like to hear of any experiences with Ground Flaxseed, as opposed to Psyllium. Also for healing, soothing and infection have been trying Oil of Oregan and, Aloe Vera Gel. Has anyone trued Slippery Elm? I find Valerian is helpful for relaxing self and tummy. I deal with diverticulosis, ibs and prolapse with recurring bladder infections. Looking forward to more of your input and will share my own experiences if they seem helpful...Mrs Fudd

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2005, 10:09 PM   #2
upshutter17
Veteran
(female)

upshutter17 HB User
Re: diverticulosis, ibs and alternatives

Slipery Elm is beeeeeautiful for bowels.
Upshutter

Last edited by upshutter17; 01-31-2005 at 06:56 PM.

Old 02-01-2005, 06:26 PM   #3
unclem

unclem HB User

ughh! I also had problems with the flagyl. No problems here with the Cipro.
Was this your first diverticulitis attack?

Old 02-02-2005, 09:06 AM   #4
janna7782
(female)

janna7782 HB User

I HATE flagyl. I am having surgery next friday to remove the part of my intestine that has the diverticula because I can't imagine messing around with it all anymore. I don't ever want to have to take that pill again

Old 02-02-2005, 09:29 AM   #5
goody2shuz
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Just a little advice concerning the Flagyl. I felt as incapacitated by this drug as I did with the diverticulitis!!!! When I was on it IV during one of my hospitalizations....I couldn't progress my diet because it made me so nauseous. One of the gastroenterlogists heard my plea and put me on half the dosage (500mg to 250mg) and it made a world of difference. Janna...you will most likely go home on cipro & flagyl one last time following your surgery....perhaps you can bring this up with your doctor beforehand. I must say that the flagyl made me feel more spaced out than the percocet I was on in the hospital. Hope this helps...as far as flxseed and the other remedies the original poster asked about, Goody is sorry to say she has no advice to offer since I have never used any.

Good luck and God's blessings.......Goody

Old 02-04-2005, 06:26 PM   #6
karie36
(female)

karie36 HB User

Mrs Fudd

I have been diagnosed with IBS, also little diverticulosis and I have trouble a plenty with prolapse and recurring infections. I would greatly appreciate any information that you can give me dealing with these problems. I am not familiar with the remedies you mentioned in your post.

What type of store do you find Slippery Elm?

Karie in Georgia

Old 02-04-2005, 11:37 PM   #7
upshutter17
Veteran
(female)

upshutter17 HB User

Slippery Elm can be found wherever herbs are sold.....healthfood store. I know we can't give out links, there are herbal based groups out there...I would tell you of some, but rules are rules. Good luck.
Upshutter

Old 02-07-2005, 03:19 PM   #8
kind1
(female)

kind1 HB User

Hello. I have IBS, colitis (inflammation of the colon/large intestine), gerd (gastric reflux), and diverticulosis. So I know how frustrating it can be to try to get the diet right. I still have problems with my gastro tract even though I'm trying to eat more fiber (foods like whole wheat/whole grain foods and more fruits and vegetables). **Fiber has to be added very gradually to the diet or gas and loose bowels can occur if too sudden. And definately for diverticulosis, they say to Stay Away from seeds, nuts, corn, raisins, popcorn, even celery cause it's so dense, anything small that can lodge in the diverticula, the weak pouches of the intestine. Also they say that it's a good idea to drink enough water, I think they say 6-8 glasses of an 8 oz glasse. I know that it's supposed to be way more than the average person consumes but even people without these type problems should be drinking the water, they say.

Lately I've been taking a fiber capsule too. I happen to take the Fibermucil from Andrew Lessman's vitamins and supplements that he sells on the Home Shopping Network (hsn). We can't give out websites so I won't :) But his products tend to be Very gentle on the stomach cause they are all finely ground capsules and his fiber supplement does Not give one reflux like some other brands found in the store. And I happen to have severe reflux, so perhaps you might look into something like that to add to your eating plan. **Please check with your dr or registered dietician (R.D.) before making any changes. I also have been taking a flax oil capsule (has the omega 3's) which is supposed to Help (NOT used instead of cholesterol medication) with lowering cholesterol and I think that the omega 3's in the flax can help with regulating the bowels but please don't quote me on it ;) Omega 3's have also been found to reduce inflammation in those with rheumatoid arthritis. Just fyi. Hope that this helps.

Perhaps there's also a support group in your area for people with gastro problems/IBS/crohn's/colitis and you may be able to exchange ideas. Those type of support groups sometimes have professionals come and speak. Just a thought.

Old 02-21-2005, 07:32 PM   #9
joyusangel
(female)

joyusangel HB User

I am going on 4th round of cipro and flagyl ...and I hate it. I get so sick. I have been through 3 bowel surgeries (had a perforated bowel due to diverticulitis when I was 37) and am going to have another in a couple of months. It has been put off for a long time, due to other health problems (heart attack last year), but can't deal with constant flare ups anymore. Will probably lose rest of bowel, but can't be worse than what I am experiencing. I have already been told my surgery is very dangerous, but the surgeon did his homework, and discussed my case with several other surgeons...the concensus was that surgery is necessary. The diverticula is through the whole remaining bowel. Please wish me luck!! I think I will need it.

Old 02-21-2005, 07:56 PM   #10
goody2shuz
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyusangel
I am going on 4th round of cipro and flagyl ...and I hate it. I get so sick. I have been through 3 bowel surgeries (had a perforated bowel due to diverticulitis when I was 37) and am going to have another in a couple of months. It has been put off for a long time, due to other health problems (heart attack last year), but can't deal with constant flare ups anymore. Will probably lose rest of bowel, but can't be worse than what I am experiencing. I have already been told my surgery is very dangerous, but the surgeon did his homework, and discussed my case with several other surgeons...the concensus was that surgery is necessary. The diverticula is through the whole remaining bowel. Please wish me luck!! I think I will need it.
Joyusangel....You are definitely in my prayers. Please keep us posted with your surgical date. There is a poster on another thread...Colon resection....resecties and newbies who had a total resection who will be quite helpful if you need her. Try posting there and she will definitely be helpful in terms of wha to expect after a total resection.....G oody

Old 02-22-2005, 04:08 PM   #11
mrs fudd
(female)

mrs fudd HB User

Hi with apologies to Karie36 and others on thread. I have been travelling and confused about how to "reply" here. I hope this works.
I ended my flagyl, but a bladder infection had me renew and increase the cipro. Now I am finished with that a few days and so far so good. I find 1 tsp of finely ground flaxseed (mixed with juice) with lots of water (8 0z at least) morn and night help, finally, with regularity I found the psyllium very uncomfortable with gas and bloating.
Karie, slippery elm bark powder can be bought bulk from health food store..I have been advised to mix 1 heaping teaspoon with cold herbal tea and a bit of honey to make a small porridge and eat once a day...it soothes and coats...it feels good to me. I take powdered valerian root before dinner every evening and more often if under stress...it relaxes and helps with intestinal spasms ( these capsules are at healthfood store). Castor oil packs are very helpful for pain..(recipe on the web). Magnesium helps relax and move bowels (capsules at health food store) AND I have just completed 2 acupuncture visits which were very helpful with pain and maybe more. I am about to try "wheatgrass" in juice as that is supposed to help as well. I am doing everythinhg that makes sense and is possible before seeing GI in April....to prevent surgery. My diet exists of a whey protein smoothie for breakfast with well-cooked oatmeal, an intestinal supplement powder in carrot juice for lunch (Revitalx by Natural Factors) and small portions of fish, yam and well-cooked veggies for dinner. So that's what and where so far for me and any further advice is truly appreciated. I feel so much for you all and me too on this scary, lonely road...please share

Closed Thread