It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

blood - lots - really bad hemmeroid or worse?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2005, 03:48 PM   #1
nelzun
(female)

nelzun HB User
blood - lots - really bad hemmeroid or worse?

Ok, I don't mean to sound gross or over paranoid but I am bleeding badly. It's been a year or so that I've noticed this. I feel a protrusion when I am washing that never really goes away, so I attributed it to hemmeroids.

Only thing around the time that this started happening I was forced into anal sex. Screaming painful ouch. Could there be damage from that?

Also, I go to the dr. for everything even when it's minor, BUT it's hard for me to even go to the GYN. I literally cry, have nightmares before and after the appointments and I think it will be worse going to a dr. for hemmeroids. I don't know that I can. I know no one likes it, but for me I panic. It's like someone is hurting me all over again because of my past.

Do I have to go to the dr? I've ignored this for over a year but it's annoying. I bleed sometimes even when I am not having a BM. Bright red & lots of it, not only when I am constipated either. I'm somewhat normal (at least once a day) But yesterday I had a pretty bad spell and was working my self up to go to emergency, but didn't. I have a family dr. but I would never go back to him if he touched me and I like him as a physician. I just can't ask him because he will want to see.

Can they knock me out and test me? Can I try home remedies before going to ER or does beeding mean I need immediate attention (keep in mind it's been a year).

Thanks,

Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2005, 04:48 PM   #2
chigs489
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User
Re: blood - lots - really bad hemmeroid or worse?

It most certainly sounds like a fissure, and believe me, I know all about these things

fissures can be caused by improper diet, anal sex, or just bad genetics (IBS, etc.) I had 2 of them last year, including a chronic one. Not fun at all. Lots of pain, bleeding, cramping, etc. I'm genetically prone to them -got my first one 15 years ago.

The portruding lump you feel may be the fissure itself. A sentinal skin tag can form around the scar tissue, and it feels like a hemroid. Once the skin tag forms, the fissure is chronic, and will likely need to be taken care of via surgery.

But don't panic. The "surgery" is a 15 minute procedure in which they loosen the muscle interior to the sphincter and get rid of the skin tag and scar tissue. It's a breeze. They knock you out for it, but you wake up 30 minutes later. They send you home with some Vicodin, and you lay in front of the television for a few days. The pain is not that bad at all. I was all worked up over it, and then I had it done and said "that's it?"

Don't be afraid to go to the doctor. They see this kind of stuff all the time. But I would recommend going to a GI doctor first, since they know how to treat this stuff. They can give you medications that can help, such as diltiazem or nitro-glycerin ointment. Or they might send you to a surgeon (I went right to the surgeon).

But I do have to give you a warning about one thing. The GI doctor or surgeon will do a rectal exam that "exposes" the fissure. It will hurt like hell! At least it did for me, and this was because of the fissures. For some people, it isn't that bad. I know this will be rough for you, considering the background. You may also want to get some therapy, it will help with the anxiety a lot.

The big mistake I made with the fissures, is I waited too long to have the surgery. I was in a LOT more pain with the fissures, than after the surgery.

This doesn't mean you will need surgery, but if the ointments don't work quickly, I wouldn't hesitate to have it done. Really, it's nothing. I didn't even have to go to a hospital. It was done at a outpatient clinic -like getting a tooth pulled.

My surgeon told me today, that both fissures are gone!

And don't worry about the embarrassment factor. I joked around with my doctor -it's all I could do! This stuff happens!

Old 01-26-2005, 09:11 PM   #3
nelzun
(female)

nelzun HB User
Re: blood - lots - really bad hemmeroid or worse?

Thanks so much. Obviously I am considering more and more taking care of it. it helps to know I'm not alone. I consider myself a pretty strong person when it comes to pain and medical stuff, it's just the emotional factor. You never realize how deeply trauma can affect your life until you have to do something simple like go to the dr. It's way beyond embarrassment when I'm 27 and still ask my mother to come into the GYN with me. The dr. has to step between me and I really make a scene.

Anyhow, thanks for responding to my post. Logically I know it's not that bad. Just hearing it from someone else is calming. After they see how I react they most likely will want to send me to surgery and get it over with anyhow.

I don't envy the dr's that do this type of work. I guess the pay must make up for it. Counseling would be wise, BUT I am not the richest person around and every insurance poilcy I have had makes me cover 50 % of mental therapy. So it helps but of couse the therapist wants to see me at least twice a week. That's about 80 dollars a week out of my pocket. There's no way I can cover that expense.

Thanks Again. I really do appreciate it. You've no idea. I've been so scared for so long.

Closed Thread