It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

Help with symptoms

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-27-2005, 11:46 AM   #1
haleywren
(female)

haleywren HB User
Help with symptoms

Hi, I was hoping someone might have an idea of whether I should worry about what is causing my symptoms:

A couple months ago I started having pain in my lower left abdomen that is constant although varying in severity (from 2 to 7 on a 1-10 scale) and not crampy (more like back pain kind of pain, but in the LL abdomen). Constipation got worse since then and I passed only small pebbles, although they weren't that hard I don't think.

They did an abdominal xray last week that showed "stool everywhere" and so they gave me Miralax. I have taken it daily since last Friday and have eaten more fiber in my diet too. It didn't have much effect until Tuesday when I had a regular sized BM. After that, I have been having BMs like 8 times a day, none regular. A couple were very watery diarhea (also Tuesday), and everything since then has been pencil thin stools. Ab pain still constant and usually moderate although worse shortly before a BM.

I guess I am wondering if the thin stools are a result of the Miralax or if I should be concerned they are something worse? I am only 29, normal weight, not super active but walk everyday. The ab pain doesn't sound like IBS, but have no idea what it might be.

Thanks,

Haley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2005, 12:59 PM   #2
MrOwl
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrOwl HB User
Re: Help with symptoms

My guess is that you are reacting to too much laxitive. Once you get started back to having 1 to 3 movements each day, you probably should slow down on laxitives until you still have 1 to 3 movements a day on your own without any help from a laxitive.

You should be able to stay regular (1-3 per day) by control you water and fiber intake. Two liters of water is what is about right for me. Do not tea, coffee, or soft drinks in you amount of water. These thing can dry out your colon.

Old 01-27-2005, 04:15 PM   #3
chigs489
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

I agree. Sounds like way too much fiber combined with Miralax is making your bowels go crazy.

Pain before a BM followed by relief, could be a symptom of IBS. Or there could have been a bowel obstruction, although the X-ray was clear, so I wouldn't worry too much. At age 29, I wouldn't worry about anything like cancer, although there is bound to be someone on the board that will jump in to freak you out. Don't listen to that.

IBS does cause abdominal pain in unlucky people. But IBS can be controlled through diet and psycho-therapy. I think I have IBS (not diagnosed, but my mother and sister have it, and I have some of the symptoms), and if I focus on it, my colon starts going nuts, and I get worked up.

Try this... for one week, don't eat ANY meat. Only veggies, whole wheat bread, pasta, tofu, fruit, and rice. No caffeine either. A glass of wine here and there is fine. Cut back on the fiber supplements altogether, and take 1/2 the Miralax. Exercise 3-4 times in the next week, especially swimming. See if this makes a difference -I bet it will. If it doesn't, wait a couple weeks and then go see a GI doctor. There are medications he/she can give you for things like IBS.

Old 01-28-2005, 07:07 AM   #4
haleywren
(female)

haleywren HB User

Thank you both for easing my nerves (the internet can make anyone a hypochondriac I think!). I will try cutting back on the laxative. I have been improving my diet fiber-wise but will see if I can go further with that and will try a meatless week.

I appreciate your help and wish you luck with your own ailments

Haley

Old 02-09-2005, 05:00 PM   #5
beckysnips

beckysnips HB User

hello!

I can TOTALLY relate to your symptoms. It is diverticulitis or diverticulosis that you are referring to (I think) because that is what I have.I experience the discomfort in my thigh and back. I have the very same lower left abdominal pain...have had all of the tests for ovarian cysts and finally found myself in the office of a gastro. He told me about divertic and gave me a diet to follow. I feel pretty good most of the time but sometimes I fall off the wagon and feel horrible. Just recently I tried a high protein diet (south beach) to try to lose some weight and it made my problem worse by about 10 fold.

As someone said, stay away from the high protein, sugar and crappy foods. I even feel that tons of veggies can make you feel worse wehn you are trying to deal with an acute situation. Stay with the brown rice, whole grain breads and pasta's and kind of try to be bland with your diet and see how it goes.

Best of luck to you!!

B

Old 02-09-2005, 05:45 PM   #6
goody2shuz
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

I agree with Becky....sounds like it is diverticulitis which is basically a condition in which the colon wall weakens causing small pouches to form in which digestive particles such as seeds, nuts, popcorn, become stuck and infect the colon causing the pain. Avoiding the above and constipation is the treatment....however if the infection gets to the point of fever and severe pain you may perforate, bleed or abcess so it is important to have this evaluated if any of these symptoms are present. Resting your bowels by avoiding raw veggies, fruits, skins of potatoes and high fiber foods for a few days should help. When there is no pain, going back to a high fiber diet and keeping the bowels regularly moving is essential in order to prevent future attacks.....Goody

Closed Thread