It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

25 Years Old, very, very scared...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-27-2005, 12:55 PM   #1
ThugIt
(male)

ThugIt HB User
Exclamation 25 Years Old, very, very scared...

A few months ago, I noticed that my stools had become flatter than normal. They were sort of "half-circles", and my BM's became very, very frequent. (I had 18 BM's in a 24 hour span.)

I went to my doctor, who pushed on my stomach and then said I had IBS. He gave me medicine that cause me to stop urinating, which gave me a UTI that turned into Prostatitis. (He did no other tests.)

Because my stools did not improve at all, I went to the ER. The doctor asked what I was worried about and I said colon cancer. He did a blood test and X-Ray's of my stomach/lower abdomen. (No barium or anything like that.) He said that IBS was likely the culprit, and cancer wasn't something I should worry about because of my age and the tests he ran.

I have used home tests to screen for blood (all were negative), and on February 2nd, I'm having a colonoscopy. When it first started, I had cramps and pain, but now there is none. I'm taking Metamucil to try and bulk up the stools and go more frequently, (sort of constipated now) but they still look quite flat. Also, I'm passing mucous lately, sometimes so much that it looks like a small piece of toilet paper. My great-grandfather had colon cancer in his 70's, but that's the only family history that I'm aware of.

Does this sound like IBS or something more sinister?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2005, 01:47 PM   #2
MrOwl
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrOwl HB User
Re: 25 Years Old, very, very scared...

It is probably IBS. The colonoscopy will give you the real answer. I am glad you are having that, because that way you will no for sure. This is also, in my opinion, better then starting to take a lot of pills.

A lot of tension and worry in you life can often make these things worse. If I were you I would try to relax, enjoy life and keep an eye on your bowel movements.

Old 01-27-2005, 05:13 PM   #3
chigs489
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User
Re: 25 Years Old, very, very scared...

probably IBS, but this can be controlled through diet and exercise.

stress will make it worse, so try and relax.

Closed Thread