It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

Is this bowels or something more?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2005, 07:29 AM   #1
sbws
(female)

sbws HB User
Is this bowels or something more?

Not sure what to do...
My husband and I started having similar symptoms about 8 months ago. First, an itchy rectum that would flare up intensely. Switched laundry detergent, deodarant, etc. Went to the doctor and was told we had candida. Gave us Nizoral...hasn't gone away.

Around Thanksgiving, we both started to get severe pain in our abdomen, around the navel (little to the left) and pain far over the hip bones (mostly left, sometimes right)...not a muscle ache more stitch pain and tenderness. Both our stomaches feel like a horse has kicked them...an overall feeling of pain, soreness and internal discomfort. This has been on-going since that time. Our stools have gotten lighter to a light brown color. I was diagnosed with internal hemmoroids (which I never had before.) We both had X-Rays done but nothing was found. I just had a barium enema done and it came back normal. The result didn't even pick up on the internal hemmoroids which my RN is saying she saw.

My husband was told that his pain was sympathy pain. I have an appointment with a GI in February...my husband was told he didn't need to see a GI.

Now my 7-year old son is complaining (2 weeks) of naseua and now pain around his navel and abdomen...before going to bed and during the night. Wakes up feeling naseous. My daughter (4) is not feeling well either. Our pediatrician gave us mebendazole thinking we have pinworms (3 doses) but we haven't passed any worms and still are not feeling better.

The doctor wants to have us tested for food allergies but I don't know how all 4 of us can get a food allergy at the same time. I was tested for celiac disease and it came back negative. We both had stool samples done but came back negative and my white blood count in my stool was very low. Now the doctor is thinking ulcer but isn't that awfully young for kids?
Is it possible to have a virus or bacteria passed around?

Any one have advice or an idea what could be wrong?

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2005, 09:47 AM   #2
MrOwl
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrOwl HB User
Re: Is this bowels or something more?

I am wondering if you could have some mold or mildew in the house that is causing you to have these problems. I know of several families where this has been the case. I was at conference once when many of the people who were sharing a common bathroom got sick because of mildew around the ceiling of the bathroom. Once the mildew was removed with a chlorine wash, all of us recovered in about 18 hours.

Old 01-28-2005, 10:53 AM   #3
goody2shuz
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOwl
I am wondering if you could have some mold or mildew in the house that is causing you to have these problems. I know of several families where this has been the case. I was at conference once when many of the people who were sharing a common bathroom got sick because of mildew around the ceiling of the bathroom. Once the mildew was removed with a chlorine wash, all of us recovered in about 18 hours.
The first thing I thought of when reading this post was exactly as MrOwl says. The thing is thta all of you are coming down with similar symptoms....and black mole is known to cause big health problems so I would definitely have it checked out. Also..as a precaution I WOULD ALSO HAVE YOUR HOME TESTED FOR Carbon Monoxide and also have your water tested. A radon test for radioactivity may be wise as well. Do not ignore this.....in fact if you could leave your home for a month or so and see if your symptoms improve,.....that would be a sure sign that it is all stemming from something within your home....Goody

Old 01-28-2005, 04:02 PM   #4
sivad
(female)

sivad HB User

When I read your post, my first thought was also something in the home. My second thought was food borne illness. Is it possible that you have a side of beef in the freezer or other food that you prepare for your family on a somewhat regular basis? Does it originate from the same source? If you suspect that food may be a problem, remember to take food temps on all food after cooking to be sure it is throughly cooked. Don't leave food out to thaw or after eating. Check the temp in your refrigerator, is it cold enough?
Keep us posted and the best of luck to you and the family.
Sivad

Closed Thread