It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

has this every happened to anyone??

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2005, 11:09 AM   #1
chicki 2
(female)

chicki 2 HB User
Question has this every happened to anyone??

I went in Oct for a Barium enima because I was having problems with bleeding and family history of colon cancer. They said that I had polups and or diverticulitous and then made me an appointment for a colonscope. I had the colonscope this past week and the Dr. told me that it was clean and I had some large hemmroids in which he banded. I was dazed and don't understand where did the polups or diverticulitous go???? I look forward to hearing from someone about this. I will be going to my GP when the results get to his office to ask him about this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2005, 11:25 AM   #2
goody2shuz
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User
Re: has this every happened to anyone??

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicki 2
I went in Oct for a Barium enima because I was having problems with bleeding and family history of colon cancer. They said that I had polups and or diverticulitous and then made me an appointment for a colonscope. I had the colonscope this past week and the Dr. told me that it was clean and I had some large hemmroids in which he banded. I was dazed and don't understand where did the polups or diverticulitous go???? I look forward to hearing from someone about this. I will be going to my GP when the results get to his office to ask him about this.
Chicki...A barium enema is basically an Xray and when a radiologist reads it he has to propose any possibilities based upon his findings. Doesn't neccessarily mean it is so..but in the end he did reccommend the proper testing for your problem to be further evaluated (a colonoscopy). With this....the internal hemorroids were identified which were the cause of your bleeding.

Seems to me in the end your problem was solved and you should be relieved that polyps and diverticuli were not found. Hope this helps ease your mind further...Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 01-29-2005 at 11:25 AM.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:51 AM   #3
MrOwl
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrOwl HB User

You got very good news. The barium enema is often done first because it is cheaper. However, to protect himself, whoever reads it will error on the side of finding too much instead of not enough. This is what happened in your case.

My take is that one should go right to the colonoscopy and skip the barium enema.

Old 01-29-2005, 12:00 PM   #4
music47
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User

A few years ago I had a colonoscopy and a barium enema afterwards to see the area that couldn't be reached because of adhesions from a previous surgery. That is good news that you didn't have any polyps. Take care.

Closed Thread