It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Ulcerative Proctitis anyone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-03-2005, 03:23 PM   #1
    boxgirl73
    Veteran

boxgirl73 HB User
    Ulcerative Proctitis anyone?

i have it and have since 8/02. no problems after being put on Asacol right away but this past month of january has been rough.....stomach pain off and on.....cramping, gas, constipation, mucuous.....GI wants me to have a colonscopy done on Monday -2/7 just to catch the flare in action and see what's going on. Plus, i'm due for one anyway this year. Just curious what your symptoms are in a proctitis flare?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2005, 08:58 AM   #2
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Re: Ulcerative Proctitis anyone?

I don't think many of us know what a proctitis flare is???
    Could you please explain?

Old 02-04-2005, 10:43 AM   #3
    boxgirl73
    Veteran

boxgirl73 HB User

UP is a form of UC that is only found in the rectum-no where else. A flare is, at least mine seem to be, a time wher eyou feel constipated, have stomach pains, bloated, mucuous, etc......crampy feeligns, gassy.....that's a flare.

Old 02-04-2005, 02:19 PM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi boxgirl,

It definitely sounds like a flare....and Asacol (if you're talking about the oral pills) isn't the treatment for that, only above the rectum. Rectal meds (suppositories or retention enemas) should be an addition to your med regimen.

My opionion is just this....mine.....but avoid prednisone or any steroid rectal meds until you've totally exhausted the 5ASA group.

It would be best to get a first-line peek as to what's happening in there to make sure it hasn't spread upwards. Keep in mind that the prep can also cause some inflammation....or really I should say...it exacerbates a flare.

From my own experience, a flare at the first sign..should be treated with an increase of the rectal meds.

How many asacol are you on at this time?

It takes time for the flare symptoms to eventually quiet down when on 5ASA rectal meds. After that, they should be slowly tapered. They can be increased if the taper has been too quick. It all depends on your symptoms.....and if you need help in understanding it all, I will be more than happy to share my 16 years of experience in dealing with 5ASA oral and rectal meds.

For your crampy/gassy/bloating/pains..etc, you would be wise to ask your doc for an antispasmotic med called Bentyl (Bentolyl in Canada). I use it often for those symptoms, and it works well for me.

Med juggling....hmmm, it's a very refined act, but can be very effective once you learn and know your flare symptoms.

Please keep us posted.
    quincy

Last edited by quincy; 02-04-2005 at 02:20 PM.

Old 02-04-2005, 02:30 PM   #5
    boxgirl73
    Veteran

boxgirl73 HB User

Thank you Quincy. When in my GI's office this Monday, she told me it did sound like a flare but wanted to be sure -that's why i'm scheduled for a colonoscopy on MOnday. SHe prescribed me Cortifoam. THat's rather strange.......can't tell if it's working. My pain was doing well for the past two days but then got bad today because i was so constipated. hadn't gone for 2 days and today, being the third......

have you ever used Cortifoam? Have you ever prepped for a colonoscopy with Miralax? that's what i was given to drink on Sunday..superbowl sunday..no fun especially since I'm IN philly! however, it's supposed to be the only tasteless liquid laxative. i'm supposed to mix it with 64oz of Gatorade. hate gatorade so we'll see...if the worst of it is tasting gatorade, then i've got it made.....jsut don't want the pain that i have off and on come on full force during the prep...who knows...maybe i'll feel my best with all this coming out of me!

i'll let you know what they find out on Monday..wish me luck!

Old 02-10-2005, 03:24 PM   #6
    meggsters
    (female)

meggsters HB User

I was recently diagnosed with proctitis after having a colonoscopy last week. I haven't talked to my doctor since the procedure except long enough to hear my diagnosis, but nothing else. He put me on cortifoam for the next month (I go back to see him in 4 weeks) Anways, for the last 5 months I had been using hydrocortisone acetate suppositories because my previous doctor thought it was just hemmorhoids. Now I'm worried about using the steroids for that long, although I don't think it's quite as bad since I wasn't taking them orally.

I have three questions for anyone who might have some answers. Is ulcerative proctitis the same as proctitis? If not, what makes it ulcerative? My other question is how bad do you think it is that I have been on hydrocortisone acetate suppositories for 5 months now? Can proctitis lead to ulcerative colitis, or does it usually?

Thanks in advance.

Closed Thread