It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

Just don't know what to do anymore.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-06-2005, 07:56 AM   #1
chigs489
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User
Just don't know what to do anymore.

I had fissure surgery (a LIS) 2 months ago. A couple weeks ago, the doctor looked at me and said I was healed, although I still felt a bit raw down there. Then I got a viral infection that caused diarhea, which went on for about 24 hours or so. To treat this, I used Pepto-bismol, and avoided fiber for a day (didn't need to speed things up).

This gave me some mild constipation when the diarhea cleared.

Now I'm bleeding again down low. And seriously discouraged. Don't know what to do, since I've already missed a ton of work.

If anyone has any advice, or if anyone has a diet or whatever, I'm all ears.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2005, 11:29 AM   #2
FireWoman

FireWoman HB User
Re: Just don't know what to do anymore.

Hi Chiggins,
It seems to me that, with all of the diarrhea, you have possibly re-injured yourself a bit. This happens to me STILL and it has been 8 months since my PPH hemorrhoidectomy. If I have a really hard stool or diarrhea, I can count on a good 3-5 days of anal pain. Diarrhea is especially harsh on any rectal wound site as it is sooo irritating. In these cases, I try to tell myself not to get discouraged and that in a few days, I will be feeling like i did before. So, my advice to you would be to just give it a few days and you should be feeling much better - like you were before. Apparently the rectal area just does not like to heal quickly and with all of those nerves down there - yikes. I had a really hard BM about 3 days ago and I bled a little and was in so much pain for about 3 days. I felt unbelievably sore and raw. I just cried that entire day - partially because I was in pain and partially because I was just so frustrated. Now, here I am, 3 days later, and I feel like I did before. I may NEVER feel perfect or 100% healed. I mean, I feel like if I am not healed by now, this is as good as it's going to get.
Don't you wish that you could just have an entire lower body replacement.
Yes hello God, I would like an upgrade on my GI system please. Give me your newest model. The one with a lifetime warranty!

Dana

Old 02-06-2005, 07:19 PM   #3
chigs489
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

yep, I'd like a lower body replacement! LOL

I'm trying not to get too worked up about it. When I got the diarhea, I said "I have to stop this now!" so I started pounding the Pepto-Bismol, and I didn't eat right. Then came the super hard stool that tore me up.

I took a couple Colace a few hours ago, so hopefully that will stop the bleeding.

I'm starting to think that this will be a long-term management thing from now on, and that feeling 100% and being abe to eat anything I want isn't realistic.

Old 02-06-2005, 11:13 PM   #4
FireWoman

FireWoman HB User

Chiggins,

I know. That is exactly how I feel. I mean, I feel like I will NEVER fully recover and I am going to have to manage my anal issues daily. It consumes your life. What should I eat today? Have I had a BM? Should I take extra colace or citrucel? I mean, this has become the vein of my existance now for about 8 months. I had a C-Section and that completely healed in 6 weeks, I had my gallbladder removed and that completely healed in 2 weeks - so what up with the butt. Why won't that area heal? I just don't get it!!

Old 02-07-2005, 05:47 AM   #5
MrOwl
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrOwl HB User

I think bowel management is a life long issue. We all have to manage it one way or another. We can develop habit patterns of eating and drinking that help make management less of an issue, but it still has to be done. The folks I know that lived a long time in good general health, would often speak of their bowel management.

The trick, I think, is to manage it with diet and not with medication if at all possible.

Last edited by MrOwl; 02-07-2005 at 05:48 AM.

Old 02-07-2005, 09:13 AM   #6
FireWoman

FireWoman HB User

very true.

Old 02-07-2005, 11:39 AM   #7
chigs489
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

went back on the Colace today, and irritation and bleeding has stopped.

Looks like I'm going to have to live on this stuff for a while.

I most likely have mild IBS that causes hard stool, mild constipation, rectal spasms.

I'll also have to go on a diet that avoids problem foods.

Old 02-07-2005, 12:25 PM   #8
FireWoman

FireWoman HB User

Hi Chiggins,

I also have IBS-type symptoms. I am either constipated or have diarrhea (usually I am constipated). I take 1Tablespoon of Citrucel every night and lots of water during the day. I also eat really well - lots of veggies - but I still have a problem with constipation. Innevitably, I have to take Milk of Magnesia once every week or two to "go". I have noticed that Colace gives me cramps. I have a couple of questions for you...

1. Does Colace give you cramps?
2. How much Colace do you take in a day?
3. Are you on any type of soluable fiber supplement like citrucel, metamucil etc...?

Thanks so much,

Dana

Last edited by FireWoman; 02-07-2005 at 12:26 PM.

Old 02-07-2005, 03:31 PM   #9
chigs489
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

I think that Colace might affect me,

Ever since taking it on a regular basis, I feel a slight crampiness down low, almost like my colon is full or something. Not sure if it is from the Colace, or just after affects from fissure surgery and all the irritation. After a while, I pass gas and feel somewhat better, but then it seems to start up again.

I also take Citrucel at night, just one dose. I get huge amounts of gas from the fiber, so it is touch for me to take more.

Old 02-07-2005, 07:38 PM   #10
cooperclc
(male)

cooperclc HB User
Wink Re: Just don't know what to do anymore.

I don't want to worry you but maby you should get tested for crohns, you seem tou have some of the symtoms, re occuring fisscals and diarea are possible indecations

good luck

Old 02-08-2005, 11:39 AM   #11
chigs489
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

The diarhea was only for one day, and it was due to a stomach virus (went to the doctor). It was the first time I had Diarhea in something like 10 years.

Usually I have pretty hard stools, so I think IBS might be a better candidate.

Fortunately, the bleeding has stopped completely. I don't think it was a fissure, just raw aggravation from the diarhea.

But if anything changes dramatically, I won't hesitate to get checked out.

Closed Thread