It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• New to this board...and need some positive support

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-10-2005, 02:56 PM   #31
    musicmork
    (male)

musicmork HB User
    Re: New to this board...and need some positive support

I have a hypersensitivity to stimulants and am prone to tachycardia..or PVCs ( kind of a feeling that the heart skips a beat but in reality it has an extra beat....feels like an arythmia but is not dangerous)..and that' why i have been taking Inderal for 29 years now. I have been suffering from panic attacks most of my life and the Xanax has REALLY helped me a lot(I used to be on Valium for years but went on Xanax about 4 years ago).
    So right now all things considered....

1. I have been losing weight...about 20 pounds in approx 2 weeks.
    2. I have not been able to form stools
    3. I have been feeling low and stressed and very tired ( I am actually mild to medium anemic)
    4. I have this damn dental abcess on an upper rear molar (6th tooth back from the front teeth) but haven't had it yanked. I am worried that if I took Prednisone that it would worsen my health because my body might be fighting the abcess....although no fever is present.
    5. I am afraid that maybe I will be a total basket case if I take prednisone.
    6. I have 3 doctors and a dentist and none of them are available to me.
    7. I am feeling ...isolated.... abandoned...depair ..depressed...and hopeless.
    8. etc.

Last edited by musicmork; 03-10-2005 at 02:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2005, 03:10 PM   #32
    aslo
    Inactive
    (male)

aslo HB User

Its amazing Mark, I too feel like Im going to die. Even had a dream with my daughter looking at me in my coffin. Nice huh?
    Good so you are going to try the pred, 5 mg to 10 etc. I think you should.
    Please dont worry about the low dose pred right after you swallow it.
    My problems are, had mild colitis a year ago, took pentasa(like asacol) 5 days later developed numbness, shooting pains and muscle spasm everywhere. Discontinued the Pentasa, and I still have all that a year later. Just about lost my business, developed panic attacks and depression. I have one soft mucousy stool per day, no matter what I do. Pred takes away the mucous and makes it firmer. Scopes show NOTHING. Cant believe it.
    As far as your body, you are probably eating very little compared to before, and have had many poops, so some of it is to be expected.
    I really hate to mention this, but maybe your small intestines are involved as well, ie chrons. I really hope not for both of us.
    Taking any supplements? Sublingual b12 would be good, small multi vitamin.
    Lots of water, the gatorade is good and bad. There are also some good digestive enzymes in health food stores. Just the fruit vegetable type like
    bromelin etc, no acid. They are like rolaid rolls. You chew them before meals, and it helps digest the food better. They are made from natural things and are safe.
    So if I have this right, you are not going to do any scopes or medical tests ?
    The strange thing about people like us is we are scared to death we are dying, yet we cant do the testing we need to get healthy.
    For whatever its worth, one nut case to another, I dont think you have cancer or are dying at this point. You do have intestinal irritation and inflammation, he saw it.Did you have the blood tests for Chrons, UC and Celiac?Anemic? Let me know what you plan to do?
    I will pray for the both of us.

Aslo

Old 03-10-2005, 05:35 PM   #33
    meggsters
    (female)

meggsters HB User

Musicmork,
    I didn't see your post to me until today. I think you probably posted it a week or so ago. I'm really sorry I didn't see it. You had asked me about what prednisone did for me, and about the night sweats and insomnia. Maybe you've already found answers, or decided not to take it, but here's my answers:

I was not on a tapered dose. I took 3 pills a day for 10 days (I am unsure of the mg in each pill)

The biggest positive for me was it stopped the constant urges to go the the bathroom. I went from running to the bathroom 5 to 10 times a day, down to 1 or 2 times a day. The prednisone did not stop the bleeding, but it did lessen the mucous.

The night sweats occurred about everyother night. I don't think there is anythingn you can do about them. I made sure to sleep in long sleeved cotton shirts and cotton pants. And then slept on a towel. I wasn't sweating all night long. I would wake up once during the night, drenched in sweat, but not hot. I was clammy and cold. Not a good feeling. But it's brief, happened every other night, and only once each of those nights. After waking up from a night sweat, I'd get up, use the bathroom, and walk around the house once just to dry off.

As for the insomnia. It was really just annoying because I couldn't sleep more than 5 hours a night. I was NOT, however, tired ever. I was able to function just fine on 5 hours of sleep. (this is way out of the norm for me, I usually need 8 to 9 hours of sleep) So I guess the insomnia wasn't necessarily a bad thing. I had an extra 3 or 4 hours in my day.

For the first couple days of being on it, I did feel a little spacey, I couldn't exactly think straight, or remember things very well. This was very frustrating for me when I was at work. This went away completely after a couple days.

If I think of anything else to add, I'll repost or edit this post. Any other questions, feel free to ask. Good luck!

~Meg

Old 03-13-2005, 02:48 PM   #34
    aslo
    Inactive
    (male)

aslo HB User

Mark how are you doing?

Old 03-14-2005, 11:47 AM   #35
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I notice he's been banned.....we'll have to wait to find out how he's doing when he comes back (hopefully within the week).

q

Last edited by quincy; 03-14-2005 at 11:48 AM.

Old 03-15-2005, 09:16 AM   #36
    aslo
    Inactive
    (male)

aslo HB User

One wonders why he would be banned. Sheez. If he is, he probably wont come back.

Old 03-15-2005, 04:34 PM   #37
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

It happens to the best of us and of course he'll be back.... We haven't finished with him yet

Let's not talk about that issue......I have a few questions for you....

I hope you're doing well. Where in the colon is your UC?
    When were you diagnosed and what were your symptoms?

What were/are the meds you have tried so far?

quincy

Old 03-15-2005, 08:57 PM   #38
    aslo
    Inactive
    (male)

aslo HB User

I was only diagnosed with uc about 9 years ago. At that time it was mostly at the bend of the transverse descending colon. Now, it would appear I may have chron's, but it is not diagnosed. My symptoms with UC were the runs, soft stool, blood, darker stool, things not even resembling stool., much cramps, nausea, pain, things like that.

I tried all the meds back then asacol, rowasa enemas, sulfasalazine. They all made things worse,(rowasa is an exception). What finally killed it was I had a lung infection and was prescribed a long prednisone burst, and one week of biaxin, and for some reason, that did it. Had it over a year, that took care of it for nine years.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:55 AM   #39
    mhg1022
    (male)

mhg1022 HB User

Dear Aslo and Quincy,
    I'm sorry to hear about your friend being banned.
    I'm SURE he's watching your posts and thinking of you.
    Maybe I can fill in for him?
    I hope you two are finding strength and ways to deal with the emotional baggage that comes along with these awful life altering health issues.
    the one thing I can say is ...I have had a lot of support from a local group I joined in the early nineties. I met a lot of fine people there and decided to let them help me to help myself. I recently had a terrible flare up concerning my UC.
    The doc wanted me on Prednisone but I was afraid to take it. But since I have been on a strict regimen of taking my Asacol and Rowasa I have had much improvement even though I STILL will have to get a colonoscopy in the future and I have never had one( I was always too scared).
    Just take things one day at a time and you will see how some glimmers of hope will enter into your world.
    I will be thinking about you and your progress.

Last edited by mhg1022; 03-16-2005 at 08:56 AM.

Closed Thread