It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Anal Fistula Can Someone Help is Surgery Needed

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-10-2005, 07:53 AM   #1
    CantDecide

CantDecide HB User
    Anal Fistula Can Someone Help is Surgery Needed

Can someone shed some light the doctor i saw was a general surgeon he said that surger for a anal fistula was recommended but not needed. Im not sure if its worth the risks and the pain. I have a small fistula on my rectal area with some discharge which is annoying and have to wipe throughout the day...but im scared of some of the complications with the surgery and would like to hear back from some who have had the surgery.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2005, 08:11 AM   #2
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User
    Re: Anal Fistula Can Someone Help is Surgery Needed

I had surgery to correct a chronic fissure back in December. I don't regret it at all. Before the surgery, I would have ripping, burning, and bleeding during bowel movements, and I had a hard time eating anything, because I was always afraid I would aggravate the fissure.

Now I can pretty much eat whatever I want, save for a few exceptions. I haven't had any bleeding in over a month.

Surgery was very quick and easy, and it was done on an outpatient basis. Now fistula surgery is a little different, although I think the cause of fissure in fistulas is generally the same -excess pressure in he rectum, that needs to be alleviated.

I think the risks of LIS surgery are overblown. I didn't suffer any incontinence afterwards, only a little drainage the first week. My sphincter tone is excellent.

Old 03-18-2005, 10:11 AM   #3
    RebbieO
    (female)

RebbieO HB User

I have had the misfortune of experiencing anal fistulaes/abscesses several times over the last 15 years. My one regret is that I managed to convince a doctor to let me go to my best friend's wedding instead of being admitted into hospital when I had my first one. Sorry if this is TMI, but the abscess burst when I got home from the wedding, causing temporary relief from the pain, but making a real mess internally. I still think that if the abscess had been drained under sterile conditions I wouldn't still be experiencing the repercussions now.

The surgery is short and will relieve any pain you have. It may be uncomfortable and embarrassing at first, but I would definitely recommend having it done.

Old 05-31-2005, 07:24 AM   #4
    noUturn
    (female)

noUturn HB User

My brother's doctor told him he believes he had a hemmorroid burst internally which was the beginning of his nightmare with abscesses. I posted today (5-31) here on the Bowel Disorders board in hopes to find help for him. If anyone has time, please read......the post is titled (in HOPES to help my brother).

I am on a mission to find him help fighting this illness which is slowly but surely taking his life........he isn't getting better, only worse.

Old 06-15-2005, 11:54 AM   #5
    yakka
    (male)

yakka HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CantDecide
    Can someone shed some light the doctor i saw was a general surgeon he said that surger for a anal fistula was recommended but not needed. Im not sure if its worth the risks and the pain. I have a small fistula on my rectal area with some discharge which is annoying and have to wipe throughout the day...but im scared of some of the complications with the surgery and would like to hear back from some who have had the surgery.

Thanks
    Have the operation please read my entry bleeding from the anus - anal fistula regards yakka

Last edited by yakka; 06-15-2005 at 12:15 PM.

Old 06-28-2005, 07:49 PM   #6
    kiwi.girl
    (female)

kiwi.girl HB User

I had 6 anal abcesses over 2 years,all requiring drainage. This lead to a fistula which I had surgically repaired a few years ago. Whilst I had complications due to infection post op, the discomfort for awhile far outweighed the discomfort and disturbance to my life living with repetitive hospital visits, drains, my self esteem ra ra... to heal a problem that had no chance of ever going away with out surgery. I urge you to have the operation, it is not that terrible and will only improve your state of mind and dignity! Surgery is needed to repair my dear, and I am only 26 years old, but wise!

Last edited by kiwi.girl; 06-28-2005 at 07:50 PM.

Closed Thread