It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Feeling of bowel fullness after surgery???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2005, 03:15 AM   #1
    MSII
    (female)

MSII HB User
    Feeling of bowel fullness after surgery???

Hi, i had my PPH+hemorrhoidectomy 4 days ago. The recovery was painful but bearable. As of now, my pain level has gone down a lot, but im having this terrible feeling of constant urge to defecate/ fullness in the rectum sensation......but i cant have a normal BM ... i took several stool softeners but only resulted in few very little watery loose stools (which was very painful). I was wondering if anyone have any knowledge of this/ or similar experience? im not sure if i should be worried about fecal impaction (which is making me really scared and worried) or is this just a normal side effect post surgery.....
    thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2005, 06:26 AM   #2
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User
    Re: Feeling of bowel fullness after surgery???

I didn't have hemmroid surgery, but I had fissure surgery, and I've had the fullness in the rectum feeling ever since. It doesn't really feel like I need to rush to the bathroom or anything, more like I ate a lot.

I assume it is due to internal rectal spasms, and muscles clenching down. I have good days and bad days with this. My doctor was a bit mystified when I told him this, but he didn't seem concerned.

Old 03-15-2005, 03:23 PM   #3
    FireWoman

FireWoman HB User

Hi MSII,

When I had the PPH a year ago, I too felt that fullness feeling in my rectum. It lasted from 3-5 days and is probably due to the internal swelling from the surgery. I also had the constant feeling that I needed to go to the bathroom but couldn't. It was almost like my rectum was paralyzed. The stool would get into my rectal area and was ready to come out, but the contractions to propel it out of my body just were not there. This caused me to seriously strain and that resulted in a recurrance of some of my hemorrhoids (especially the externals). The good new is, after a few weeks, my rectum started functioning normally again, and the bad news is, some of my hems came back.

All I can really tell you is to keep taking everything you can to assure soft BMs (stool softeners, fiber, lots of water, milk of magnesia). You don't want diarrhea because that can be very painful on the staple site.

Also, you might want to call your surgean and let him know what is going on. He might have some insight as well.

Good luck with your recovery. Oh, and by the way, you can ask me anything you want about the procedure and recovery. I know there aren't many of us here who have had it so all questions are welcome

Dana

Old 03-15-2005, 08:06 PM   #4
    FireWoman

FireWoman HB User

Hey MSII,

I know what you mean about taking your health for granted. In a nutshell, after the birth of my daughter 14 months ago, my health declined as well. My bowels stopped functioning properly, I developd Poly Cystic Ovarion Disease, developed gallstones and had my gallbladder removed, developed diabetes AND Irritable Bowel Syndrome which, along w/ pregnancy, gave me TERRIBLE hemorrhoids. Pregnancy was not good to me. Before that, I was able to eat anything I wanted and do whatever I wanted. Now, I am pretty much bound to the house, suffer from severe anxiety due to my health, AND am on a very restricted diet due to the IBS and diabetes. AAAHHHH!!!! As a result, I am ALWAYS telling people NEVER to take their health for granted - or their carefree lives for that matter. When your health is gone, or when you develop some type of health related issue that alters your lifestyle in any way, it can be very frustrating.

Oh, I forgot about not being able to urinate after the surgery. I had to pee standing up for the first few days after because if I sat down, I couldn't feel any type of urge. If I stood up, I could - somewhat. Yes, very frustrating.

Ok, on to your question. No, please do not stop eating just change what you are eating. While you are recovering, I would stick to mostly fruits, vegetables, chicken or fish (small portion), and oatmeal. Also, you can maybe even add some whole grain bread. I would highly recommend that you add some All Bran cereal to your diet. These foods are packed with soluable and insoluable fiber and will help your body have the urge to go. I would stay far far away from anything WHITE (flour, rice, bread), red meats, dairy and alcohol as they are all very constipating. Drink tons and tons of water (3 liters a day if you can) and fruit juice.

As for over the counter "stuff" - I would add Metamucil and a stool softener like Colace as well. I would take them everyday until full recovery. After you recover, stick with the metamucil as it will make your stools bulky and soft and easier to pass. It will help you to not strain when having a BM and will help your hemorrhoids to STAY AWAY. You do not want a recurrance of your hemorrhoids and have to go throught the BIG surgery. Now, when adding metamucil to your diet, you might experience a little cramping and bloating. This is to be expected until your body adjusts to the increase in fiber. This should go away in a couple of weeks at most.

Ok, if you are still having a problem going to the bathroom try some Milk of Magnesia. It is an over the counter laxative that is non-stimulating - unlike ex-lax and the rest. This will help you have a BM without diarrhea. Actually, I take Milk of Magnesia almost everyday per my doctor's instructions. If I don't, I don't "go". It is the only think that I have found that help me without giving me painful cramps and diarrhea. Of course, I only take 1 teaspoon a day and the directions are to take 2-4 Tablespoons, so I am not just taking a ton of the stuff. At any rate, that should halp you out until you are fully recovered. You do not want any hard BMs going through there and rubbing up against that surgery site like I did. Ouch - very painful and lots of blood. Because of my IBS/Constipation issues, it took me a bit longer than the typical PPH patient to recover. I was not given any post op instructions so what I am telling you now, I had to learn through my own trial and error and from the good people on this board.

As far as your surgean goes - it is a shame that you do not feel comfortable, or that he does not make you feel comfortable talking to him. I think some doctor's forget that they are actually there FOR the patient and that most patient's are scared, confused, and need good direction. I think that after this experience, you will make a wonderful doctor as you already know what it is like to experience a surgean with sub-standard bedside manners.

I hope this was helpful and if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask

Dana

Old 03-15-2005, 08:11 PM   #5
    FireWoman

FireWoman HB User

Hey MSII

It's me again. Ok, I just thought about this- you are going to be a doctor, so you probably know all of the right foods to eat, supplements to take etc... Sorry if I sounded redundant in my previous post. I am sure I was just preaching to the choir. I guess the only thing that might help you is the Milk of Magnesia part. Stay away from those harsh laxatives - ouch!! Milk of Moagnesia - much gentler

Ok, I think I'm done for now!!

Dana

Old 03-16-2005, 08:27 AM   #6
    FireWoman

FireWoman HB User

Hi MMII,

Did you just have the PPH or did your surgean cut out some external tissue as weel? Some surgeans will actually perform the PPH for the internals and cut out the externals.

I am recovered but I am experiencing a sharp pain in one spot inside of my rectum. I have gone to see a colo-rectal surgean (different from the surgean who performed my surgery) and, after examination, he told me that I had some sort of excess tissue that was probably caused by the stapling device catching on some skin, or maybe a staple became stuck in my rectum. He said that the only way to repair it would be to cauterize the spot. I have yet to go in for that.
    Also, if I have a hard BM, it still makes that surgery site sore. I know that my C-Section scar is a little tender as well. I guess scars are just a bit tender in general and that would inculde ones inside of your rectum. To answer your questions, I am fully recovered, but I still have to be carefull with diet and keeping my stools soft and easy to pass.

Since you are only 5 days post op you are still in the early stages of recovery. You will get better every day. You may experience some setbacks though if you get constipated.

Dana

Old 03-17-2005, 06:54 AM   #7
    bboy77
    (male)

bboy77 HB User

what type of hems can be treated with pph. i have some externals and dread the thought of the traditional surgery.

Old 03-17-2005, 09:30 AM   #8
    FireWoman

FireWoman HB User

Hey bboy77,

I have heard mixed things regarding procedures for externals. SOme surgeans say that the PPH should get rid of internals AND externals and some say that it is only for Internals. In my experience, the pph procedure did not take care of my externals, but I know of one other person on this board that had the PPH and it did. I guess it just depends on the severity of the externals.

Also, I know a lot of surgeans will perform the pph for the internals and remove the externals by the traditional method. This is less painful as you are not having to undergo a complete internal and external hemorrhoidectomy.

Old 03-19-2005, 11:38 PM   #9
    MSII
    (female)

MSII HB User

firewoman....
    im soooooo angry! today i noticed that my hemorrhoid is back!!! all this suffering this whole week was for...nothign!? is this common?? i didnt strain during BM, ate high fiber diet...did everything right...but why ...? arg!
    now im still sore from surgery a week ago, and on top of that having an inflammed external hemorrhoid. BM are STILL very painful, and im STILL having the fullness in the rectum feeling. When is this all gonna get better? sigh
    im seeing my surgeon on monday. Is it ok for me to tell him i think all this was NOT worth it since my hemorrhoid is BACK!?

Old 03-20-2005, 09:56 AM   #10
    FireWoman

FireWoman HB User

Hey MSII,

Your story sounds very similar to mine. About 2 weeks after my PPH, I also began to suffer from 2 swollen external hemorrhoids. They actually thrombosed (formed a very painful blood clot) which I assume is happening to you. I went back to my surgean and he told me that he had never seen anything like that since he had been performing the procedures. He blamed it on the fact that I had some constipation issues. I think that he just did not want to get sued and so he blamed it on me, and not on the PPH procedure itself. I then went to another surgean as I did not trust my original surgean anymore and he told me that after a PPH, your externals can become inflammed because the blood flow during the pph is cut off from your internals and redirected. Unfortunately, sometimes that blood is redirected into your external veins causing them to swell. This surgean is the one who told me that the PPH procedure really isn't for external hemorrhoids, only internals and that doctors will usually perform a PPH for internals and excise the externals.

Now for the good news, I have not had a major external hemorrhoid issue since that episode. So, try to get through this episode, take lots of sitz baths, keep your stools soft, use hemorrhoid cream etc... and hopefully, it won't return. I do have one residual problem though, this surgean performed a scope and found some excess tissue in my rectum where he said that the stapeling device might have caught me inside and left an open wound. This has been causing me some considerable pain, especially after a hard bm. He said the only way to resolve this problem would be to cauterize the spot. I am just not ready to go back in and have any more "bottom" work done right now, so I am just trying to tough it out.

I can really empathize with you right now and I hope you get to feeling better soon. Please write me back and let me know what your surgean says at your next appointment.

Dana

Old 03-21-2005, 05:20 PM   #11
    MSII
    (female)

MSII HB User

Hi there
    so i went in to see my surgeon today....he told me that my "hemorrhoid" that came back was NOT a hemorrhoid...but some "skin tag" that got inflammed bc lymphatic/venous drainage around that site is redistributing itself due to the surgery....and he reassured me that it would go down in couple of days. I guess this explainantion COULD be valid...but the thing is that thing he called "skin tag" is what used to bother me from time to time....my "hemorrhoid" then never caused me any pain! so now im kinda confused. But hopefully everything would just get better. He said he performed PPH on my INTERNAL hemorrhoids and had to excise the external ones.
    anyways. my conclusion...hemorrhoid, skin tag...wutever...prob just different definition...but if it is painful and bothers u...same thing in my book!
    well...at least my surgeon was confident and reassuring...ill give him that. Now i really think that is wut docs are there for...just some reassurance. Did u know that 80% of causes that ppl go see the doctor for resolve by itself?

Old 03-22-2005, 04:49 PM   #12
    FireWoman

FireWoman HB User

I remember having the same "skin tag vs external hemorrhoid" debate on this board before. All of my doctor's look at my "area" and say that it's a skin tag, but it gets swollen and clots like a hemorrhoid and it's the same pain and inflammation as before I had the PPH, so I really don't know what to believe. It looks and feels like a hemorrhoid to me. Right now, it's not swollen or painful, but right after surgery, the 2 external hemorrhoids (skin tags to the surgeans I guess) became engorged, swollen and formed clots. I'm still thinking that it was my external hemorrhoids but who knows.

So, the reason why you are still in so much pain and still experiencing that fullness feeling is because your surgean did what my surgean should have done - he also excised your externals as well as performed the pph procedure. It is going to take a bit longer to heal and you are going to experience a bit more pain than if you just had the pph. My surgean told ne that it would take a good 6 weeks for the externals to heal once excised. Each day will get better and better. I may still have to get my xternals excised.

Please keep me posted on your progress and I will keep you in my thoughts,

Dana

Closed Thread