It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Prescription given for diarreah?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-21-2005, 11:19 PM   #1
    NaeNae

NaeNae HB User
    Prescription given for diarreah?

Hello Everyone!

I'm almost 32 years old and since I was about 18 I've suffered from chronic diarreah. I don't know why. It used to be where it would come from several months, then several months I'd be fine, back and forth. Over the past year, it's gotten worse and I have it just about every day. I know not to eat dairy, I drink soy milk (as my son is allergic to milk as well, so I use his-and it's only for cereal), I really don't each much dairy anyway. It doesn't matter what I eat-healthy or not. I start my day out with 2 Immodium. I'll usually take a 3rd after a few trips to the bathroom. Then I have to take 2 at night. Sometimes that helps, but alot of times it doesn't. It's so embarressing to be over someone's house and have to go, or be in a public resteraunt! I had a Colonoscopy about 2 summers ago and it came back fine. Sometimes I feel the urge to go come on real quick, other times I'll feel crampy first (ladies, it feels just like menstrual cramps, then I realize I'm not getting ready to start). I don't have a problem with gas, in fact, don't laugh at me (or go ahead if you need a good laugh!), but I'm not much of a tooter! I think I'm bloated alot, but I'm about 30lbs overweight, so it's hard to tell. When I was about 20, I was having trouble with sharp pains in my stomach alot and the doctor did an Upper GI and said I had something called Duodenitis. Has anyone ever heard of this? It sounded almost made up!

Anyway, my main question is this: Immodium is hardley working for me anymore. Can you build a tolerance to it? I've heard there is prescription drugs for chronic diarreah, I think it started with a "B", but I'm blank. If anyone knows anything about this, can you share, plus your experiences with it?

Thanks everyone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2005, 04:23 AM   #2
    mudhound
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mudhound HB User
    Re: Prescription given for diarreah?

I use the immodium. My dr says that bental is one just abot the immodium. You do need a rx

Mudhound

Old 04-22-2005, 10:18 AM   #3
    NaeNae

NaeNae HB User

Mudhound, I'm not sure if I understand your message. The Bental is about the same as Immodium? So the Immodium helps you better than the Bental?

Thanks for your reply!

Old 04-22-2005, 10:23 AM   #4
    susieq12
    (female)

susieq12 HB User

I take Bentyl for the cramping, but I can't say that it stops the D. I take Imodium for the D. Recently I got a prescription from my dr. for Lomotil which is supposed to be a strong anti-diarrheal, but it doesn't work for me. I think your body over time may get used to whatever you are taking, so maybe the Lomotil will work for you.
    Sue

Old 04-23-2005, 07:16 PM   #5
    babesbarn
    (female)

babesbarn HB User

I looked into this thread hoping to find a answer to my own diarrheah problem. I don't get it, I have had diarrheal for nearly three weeks. I did not mention it to my doctor cause I was going for a D&C and figured it was my nerves. Well its been two weeks and no sooner do I eat and Ihave to sit on the pot. I might as well just eat and "go" at the same time.
    How come it comes out so fast? I took some immodium and it did help some but I get lots of gas and one day I let out lots of mucus. It was scarey and I was glad I was home! I am hoping I can fix this at home. Other than that I feel ok. Is it possible to have a stomach virus?

Old 04-23-2005, 07:53 PM   #6
    sara53793
    (female)

sara53793 HB User

NaeNae,

The medication Bentyl is an antispasmodic for the GI- they use it a lot for IBS. Basically it helps w/ cramping in the GI so in turn it may reduce/prevent the diarrhea. Duodenitis is actually the inflammation of the duodenum. -itis always means inflammation of if that helps! :] The duodenum is the first part of the small intestine after the stomach.

I have gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lininig), GERD and a hiatal hernia- I have to take Nexium for this. Before I started the meds I had diarrhea all the time- to the point that I was lost 10 pounds! Ask your doctor about what meds could help you out.

You could ask about the Lomotil- I would imagine that it would help for sure!

Good luck! Sara

Old 04-24-2005, 02:35 PM   #7
    FireWoman

FireWoman HB User

Lomotil is good stuff. I used that when I had a terrible bout of diarrhea lasting for months. Actually, you have to be careful because the Lomotil can also stop you up pretty good. You need to find a good balance - maybe taking 1/2 of a pill or less - or more if you need it. Of course there is Lotronex, but you would seriously have to weigh the risk of the side effects against your quality of life. They only prescribe Lotronex if all other meds have failed and your quality of life has greatly diminished as a result of your condition.

Old 04-24-2005, 02:42 PM   #8
    smithn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

smithn HB User

You could try Lomotil.

Bentyl is used as a treatment for abdominal pain, not diarrhea.

Duodenitis exists. The duodenum is a j-shaped sac that connects the stomach to the small intestine. Yours is inflamed.

Old 04-25-2005, 10:22 AM   #9
    Sonflower1116
    (female)

Sonflower1116 HB User

Have you tried psyllium capsules? It's a great form of fiber. Also, you might want to find a good quality probiotic (acidolphilus) to help balance out the good bacteria in your intestines. Gluten, found in most all grains, is highly allergenic and can cause diarrhea, as can corn and dairy. Most of the time it's the lactose in dairy that's the culprit. Have you tried lactose-free milk? Most groceries carry it now (Lactaid).

Finding a good prescription may help alleviate the constant diarrhea, but you need to get at the root of the causation. There is a good chance that there may be something in your diet that your body is reacting to. It's not easy to find what may be causing your symptoms but you can find what it is through testing, or, elinimate a certain food group from your diet for 2 weeks and then re-introduce it and see if your diarrhea returns. If there's no reaction to that food, then choose another to eliminate. The most common food intolerances/allergins are wheat, dairy, yeast, soy, and corn, so you could start with one of these. Believe me, it's worth the time and effort to find what's causing the problem, and then eliminate it from your diet, than to have to take medications for the rest of your life. I found that I am highly intolerant to soy, it caused a sudden onset of diarrhea that lasted 3 weeks, until I learned from my son that soy was not digestible and caused allergic reactions. I eliminated the soy and took a probiotic and was healed in 2 days.

Another suggestion is to be tested for parasites. I know this sounds yucky, but more people, than not, are infested and just don't know it. You can get parasites if you've traveled to a foreign country, or have pets. Get the book "Guess What Came To Dinner" by Ann Louise Gittleman for more information on this possibility and easy treatment. My husband recently experienced this in connection with his persistant diarrhea, and he was symptom-free in a week after taking a product called Para-Key and Para-Plus.

It is definitely very disheartening and embarrassing to have to live with diarrhea, as you have been doing. I hope you can find relief and what's causing your problems real soon.

Closed Thread