It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Colonoscopy cause damage? Please Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-10-2005, 08:25 AM   #1
    ..::Coz::..
    (male)

..::Coz::.. HB User
    Colonoscopy cause damage? Please Help!

Hi All. At this point I dont know what to do. About a while ago I started itching down in the rectum area. I noticed that I was passing out little balls when i make a BM. I went to the doctor first and he said I have constapation and could be a hemroid. He told me to go on a high fiber diet with Fibercon. I did that but the symptoms were still there. I finally went to a GI and he said to take care of the constapation first, and to stop the Fibercon, and just eat more whole foods with fiber in it, kinda like All bran or whole cereals..and schedule a colonoscopy since there was some bleeding and wanted to make sure it wasn't something else.

I started that, taking glycolax to help with the constapation, which worked very well, and the cremes seemed to make it disappear some. I still had some itching, but it was a lot better...until the colonoscopy. I had to take visicol tablets for the flush and then went in.

After the colonoscopy, Ive been waking up in the middle of the night itching like crazy! I also been going very irregular...almost 5 to 6 times a day! The itching didnt start until number 5 or so! When I talked to the doctor he said it was hemroids and to take some more creme. But because of the fiber intake i feel like going almost all the time, and tons of gas too! I cut back on the fiber to stop BMing all the time, but the hemroids are still there, and the creme is still not helping me!

My questions are: Could too much fiber cause BM problems and create hemroids? has anyone had the same problems I had, and what Can I do to resolve them? Could the doctor damage my colon during the process creating more complications? Could it be a sign of anything else? Any ideas on how to get any more relief? I dont want hemroids for the rest of my life, I want it taken care of...is there a way for that to ever happen?

Please help! Im only 23 and this has been going on for about 6 months now...im so tired of it!

Last edited by ..::Coz::..; 06-10-2005 at 08:26 AM. Reason: My mouse did it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2005, 09:39 AM   #2
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User
    Re: Colonoscopy cause damage? Please Help!

So your colonoscopy was six months ago?

Well, yes, damage can be done during a colonoscopy. Offhand, I think it is 1 in 2,000 procedures has some sort of problem. But that is usually a nick (or puncture) in the colon wall resulting in infection, not the sort of symptoms you describe.

Personally, I have a lot of trouble when I get too much fiber from grains/bran, etc., which is what you seem to be doing. Have you tried increasing vegetable, legumes and fruit intake to see whether that helps the hemorrhoid situation without causing other problems? Some people do better cutting back grains to a minimum (or eliminating them altogether). You can get plenty of fiber elsewhere (and from foods that provide more nutritional value, too).

Are you drinking plenty of water? Do you eat yogurt regularly? Have you eliminated most of the refined, processed foods from your diet? Do you get sufficient good fats (and eliminated most bad fats)?

Old 06-10-2005, 09:59 AM   #3
    ..::Coz::..
    (male)

..::Coz::.. HB User

The colonoscopy was 2 weeks ago and symptoms started rising, it definitely feels like hemroids. But overall this feeling has been going on for over 6 months.

As for diet, ive been eating a lot of bran foods and stuff, as well as some more fruits and vegetables. Should I eat more vegetables and stuff and cut back on the bran stuff?

I stopped using any of the fiber stuff like fibercon cause I think it could cause more problems than fix. Other than that, im drinking more water, cutting back a lot on soda and acidic foods. Is there anything I can do to accelerate the healing process? Im really just tired of the pain...

Old 06-10-2005, 05:34 PM   #4
    PGilleland
    (female)

PGilleland HB User

This is the first I have read about itching after a colonoscopy. That same thing happened to me, but I didn't relate it to the colonoscopy, but rather to the AnaMantle that the doctor had given me for hemorrhoids. I don't know which caused the intense itching, but I had it. Finally another doctor told me it might be a fungal infection and to use an anti-fungal which did help enormously. I also found Balmex helps. Other posts on this forum mentioned candida so I have been taking acidophilus and eating yogurt, hoping all would help. Things are definitely better.

Old 06-10-2005, 08:35 PM   #5
    wmkcolors
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User

Rectal itching is called pruritus. Many things can cause this to flair up. I don't think your colonoscopy has caused it. Type in rectal itching in your search engine. Alot of info. pops up on how to alleviate the problem.

Old 07-04-2005, 05:39 AM   #6
    JinL
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

After wiping with paper, use Cottenelle wet wipes to cleans the area completely . The itching may go away in one day. The Cottenelle wipes aree usually in the toilet paper section of the store. They come in a small white plastic box. Some people are very sensitive to even the smallest bit of their own feces. It causes irritation of the anus area then hemroids can follow.

Closed Thread