It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Are biopsies routine?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-10-2005, 01:52 AM   #1
    Rickswife
    (female)

Rickswife HB User
    Are biopsies routine?

Hello..I too have had IBS symptoms. I also have what I call attacks that cause pain in my stomache right over my sternum. On the 6th I had an endoscopy/colonoscopy..the results that were put on paper are as follows

Colonoscopy

Summary:
    A single polyp found in the sigmoid (211.3) Polypectomy was performed.
    Moderately severe diverticulosis (562.10) found in the sigmoid and descending colon.
    Internal hemorrhoids (bleck-darn kids!!)
    Normal ileum.
    Multiple biopsies taken.

Follow up on the results of the biopsy specimens in 1 week.
    Timing of a repeat colonoscopy/endoscopy will depend on pathology results
    Desipramine 25mg daily
    return in 6 weeks.

Endoscopy

Summary:

Normal esophagus
    There was mild erythema of the distal body and antrum - a few biopsies taken
    Normal Duodendum - a few biopsies taken.

Should I be worried? My husband said that biopsies are routine?

I was not able to discuss any of this with my doctor due to not being of sound mind after my procedures. My husband who is a very kind, loving man seems aggitated when I ask questions about what the doctor said. I should get those results sometime next week.

Any response welcome

Rickswife

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2005, 05:39 AM   #2
    wmkcolors
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User
    Re: Are biopsies routine?

Whenever a polyp is removed, it is biopsied, even if it doesn't look cancerous, just to be on the safe side. Just like when a mole is removed, it too is always biopsied, even if it "looks" fine. Generally, on the report, if a polyp looks suspecet, you will also see a word like dysplasia, which mean visual signs of cancer. Also, since you showed signs of diverticulits, it's normal to take biopsies of the colon wall. They are being thorough. Hope this helps.

Last edited by wmkcolors; 07-10-2005 at 05:43 AM.

Old 07-10-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
    Rickswife
    (female)

Rickswife HB User

It most definately does!! I did not see dysplasia anywhere on the typed report. I like the idea of thorough and will just wait until those results are in.

Thank you
    Ricks wife

Old 07-10-2005, 11:31 AM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Wow, you had quite the invasion from both ends at the same time...you're one tough cookie!!!

Yes, biopsies SHOULD be routine (I'm saying that because I cannot imagine going through a c-scope or any other body invasion as such just for a look-see)...they check for cancer..either active or precancer changes in cells (abnormal -- some changes within the cells do not necessarily mean cancer tho, but can mean inflammation...then the varying degrees of inflammation; dysplasia -- precancer; hyperplasia -- cancer...and then other stages of cancer which I can't remember). Polyps should always be removed because they can turn into cancer.

You wouldn't see dysplasia on this report...since the biopsies weren't analysed yet.

Why do you think your husband is agitated regarding your questions?

You do have a lot to deal with..it's good you had the scopes.

Please keep us posted...

quincy

Old 07-10-2005, 02:14 PM   #5
    wmkcolors
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User

Somtimes, doctors will write on this report, like they did mine, "looks suspect, dysplasic" etc. because it's more obvious. My polyps had already reached that point. Biopsies are normal procedures, especially with polyps.

Old 07-12-2005, 01:18 PM   #6
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

I should point out that when a biopsy is done, they are not JUST looking for cancer. They are also looking for things like infection. When they do a biopsy of the intestinal or esophagal lining, they are looking for inflammation, which could indicate IBD.

Try not to get worked up about the report -I know it is tempting to read the thing and freak out.

Old 07-13-2005, 12:37 AM   #7
    Rickswife
    (female)

Rickswife HB User

Thank you for the responses...still waiting on those results..tomorrow is day 7...I will give them a few more days

Rickswife

Old 07-21-2005, 05:24 PM   #8
    Rickswife
    (female)

Rickswife HB User

Ok, no cancer found!!!!! I have an appt with my regular doctor tomorrow and he will go into further detail in regards to my results. All I know is I am going to start something called Flagyl? (sp) and more labwork was ordered. I will know more tomorrow

Rickswife

Old 07-21-2005, 10:08 PM   #9
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

WooHoo!!! that's the best news for sure.

Flagyl is an antibiotic medication..is that for the diverticulosis(itis)?

I hope you post and give us the complete "scoop" tomorrow.

quincy

Closed Thread