It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• suppository abuse

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-13-2005, 09:13 AM   #1
    jjc71796
    (female)

jjc71796 HB User
    suppository abuse

I have a question. I have been using glycerin suppositories to go to the bathroom for years and they work well, but now I am afraid of permanent damage and want to stop. What can I do to stop and how do I know if I have done permanent damage to the nerves in my colon? I haven't had a bowel movement on my own in I don't know how long. Please help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2005, 12:12 PM   #2
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Re: suppository abuse

I think you may need to make sure that you are intaking enough fiber in your diet -- daily.
    A person needs 25 to 35 grams daily fortheir intestines to work properly.
    Your problem is you may not have been get enough so you had to resort to something that stimulated your colon to empty.

But the natural way is to make sure you intake enough fiber both soluble and insoluble types-- You just may have produced a lazy colon using suppositories --- who knows??

Old 07-13-2005, 12:30 PM   #3
    jjc71796
    (female)

jjc71796 HB User

How do I cure a lazy colon? Or what do I need to help other than an intake of fiber? Like do I try scheduling, going the same time every day? What brand of fiber do you recommend? I would prefer a pill type. Can you tell me what foods are high in fiber. Like I thought bananas were but I take it they are not. Thank you for your help.

Old 07-13-2005, 10:13 PM   #4
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Lightbulb Re: suppository abuse

A person should try to have a BM at the same time daily--

Insoluble fiber is the type fiber that does not absorb or dissolve in water but passes through making your intestines contract and move what you have eaten thru your intestines -- Most veggies and fruits are 80% insoluble -- they contain fluid & fiber but don't absorb or are dissolved by fluid. All greens are fiber but don't absorb water, also nuts and seeds.

Soluble fiber is the kind of fiber that absorbs fluid and dissolved by fluid --- it bulks up your stool-- most grains like rice, corn meal/ grits, oatmeal, etc -- the outer husk is insoluble. Beans and peas all absorb fluid except green beens. Legumes, and root veggies like potatoes, carrots, beets, turnips are mostly soluble fiber foods.

All meat, seafood and dairy products contain NO fiber!!

I like and use psyllium powder form that is in Metamucil, Equate from Wal Mart and others -- you can also get it in capsule form but you have to take alot of them to make any different-- I use the sugar free Orange flavored powder that you mix with water--- 2X daily.
    Psyllium is a natrual fiber-- it is water soluble so your it is brokendown by your digestion system -- and it does ferment and produce gas when you first start using it-- so start off slow and follow the directions. The gas will go away w/ continued use -- you have to drink enough water or it will constipate you.

I get about 7 to 8 grams of fiber from psyllium daily.
    If you buy the capsules-- they are 550 mgms so you will need to take 13 caps daily to get 7 gms. I have never used Benefiber..
    My wife uses the caps that are 880mgm of psyllium. She takes 3 after breakfast and 3 or 4 after supper.

I like fiber that I know is well dispersed so I don't take the caps-- they don't work as well for me.

If you eat the right kind of food -- the lazy bowel symptoms will eventually go away w/ exercise, water and enough fiber daily!!

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 07-14-2005 at 06:52 AM.

Old 07-14-2005, 06:35 AM   #5
    jjc71796
    (female)

jjc71796 HB User

Thank you for all your advise. I will try the fiber and eating right and making sure I get enough exercise. How do I deal with the feeling of not being able to go because I have a lazy colon in the meantime? Just keep holding out and eventually it happen? It makes me very nervous. Will kegel exercises help with the muscles?

Old 07-14-2005, 10:09 AM   #6
    mickey56
    (male)

mickey56 HB User

Hi Harry! Is it possible to have screwed up stomach from heavy motrin use for about 2 weeks. Used it for neck pain and now am on 4th day of bowel and lower stomach distress.Stopped motrin Sunday,the 10th.Thanks.

Old 07-16-2005, 10:01 PM   #7
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Post Re: suppository abuse

jji-- I think you'll have to use something until the fiber kicks in and almost any type of exercise that you move your body is good!! Just walking is OK--

Mickey,
    All pain medication causes constipation to some degree -- Taking Motrin in large doses can definitely cause constipation.
    You need to intake fiber and you may even need a laxative--

I guess by now you have found that you needed help to get back to normal??

I am sorry to be getting back to you so late!!

I wish ya'll well---Harry

Closed Thread