It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• flat thin stools, abdominal pain, gas, need help please!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-18-2005, 09:37 PM   #1
    nrb
    (male)

nrb HB User
    flat thin stools, abdominal pain, gas, need help please!!

Hi,

I have had stomach problems (bloating, gas, constipation) for over 3 years now. Two years ago I was diagnosed with GERD and have been taking medicines (nexium).

Two months ago I went on a low carb diet (south beach) and have lost 15 pounds since then (I was overweight before - around 190 pounds).

Recently I have noticed some significant changes that have started to worry me. For about the last 3 weeks, I have had stools that are very thin (flat) and small, and many times not well formed. I also experience some abdominal pain (lower left side of stomach). The pain isnt there all the time, but i experience it whenever i have a BM. Its kind of a dull pain that remains for sometime after a BM and I also get it after having food. The stools are at times dark in color, but I am not sure if that is because of the presence of blood. I have not seen any red blood in the stools or on the toilet paper. I hear some funny noises from my stomach after intake of food (I am guessing its because of the gas). I feel extremely boated and constipated daily. I also have the need to urinate more frequently than before.

Today I started taking a fiber supplement (metamucil) and will continue to do that and hope that helps.

I have had an endoscopy and a colonoscopy done about 1 year 7 months ago. The endoscopy resulted in the diagnosis of GERD and the colonoscopy was normal (the report does mention about presence of small haemorhoids though).

Harry, you seem to be very experienced and may be able to answer my questions:

Do you think my symptoms could indicate presence of stomach or colon cancer? Can cancer develop in a period of 2 years (since I have had endoscopy and colonoscopy done less than 2 years ago)? My colonoscopy did not show any polyps or presence of Inflammatory Bowel disease. Should I be worried? Are there any other tests that I can do (or is an endoscopy/colonoscopy the most definitive test)

After googling on the web, I saw that presence of flat stools, dark stools and abdominal pain can be indications of colon cancer and I am extremely worried after that. I think about it all the time.

I have an appointment with my gastroentrologist next week.

Please advice me on whether I should get another colonoscopy/endoscopy done to rule out cancer or what you feel could be the cause of my symptoms.

Thanks a lot,
    Nick

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread