It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

Help RE: Ribbon Stools & straining

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-04-2005, 03:21 AM   #1
kdarbmga
(female)

kdarbmga HB User
Help RE: Ribbon Stools & straining

I am female, 39 years old.

It has been well over a year where I've discovered that my stool patterns have changed. I had a colonoscopy in April of this year after complaining about hemorrhoids and constipation followed by diarrhea, but what I never told my GI about -- and never really thought it might be an issue until I came to these message boards -- was that my stools are what others in these boards are referring to as "ribbon stools". I had no reason to think that this was a "disorder" or at least not uncommon, other than by what I'm reading here. And because of a new onset of much straining associated with trying to make a BM, (the last two weeks has changed to being only once every 3-4 days since I never feel any urge to "go", and when I do, it is very painful to push but I gave credit to my hemorrhoid for that), the result is of narrow BM's which are small in quantity. So I decided to find help online until next Tuesday, when offices resume after the Holiday weekend, and I can call my GI.

Some messages I've read here with others having similar symptoms indicate that another colonoscopy is a good idea, but my question is what would that show me now, as opposed to 4.5 months ago since the narrow BM's have been an issue with me for well over a year? Other posts mention having a CT scan. Please tell me what that might indicate other than an obstruction, which I'm thinking that I don't have only because the colonoscopy would have shown if I did have?

Also, and not sure if this is relevant or not, I've had pain in the left side of my back, where I think my kidney is for the past 6 months. I've had 24-hour urine testing done twice since the onset, and my urologist can only find that I have low amounts of citrate in my urine (I had a kidney stone in February of this year and there is another one brewing up inside my left kidney). I am increasing my calcium citrate, and I am trying to drink more. Not sure if the back pain is associated with why my BM's are changing in pattern and becoming less frequent, smaller in quantity, very narrow, and more painful. BTW, they do not appear to be black or yellow, or any "abnormal" color.

Last, I do not take a fiber supplement, but someone recently told me about Benefiber. I will try that this weekend, but in the interim, does anybody have any help to offer? I'd appreciate it!

Last edited by moderator2; 09-04-2005 at 07:07 AM. Reason: please follow your topic here - do not post in three areas

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2005, 10:49 PM   #2
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Lightbulb Re: Help RE: Ribbon Stools & straining

I think the thin stool is because you don't intake enough water soluble fiber. It absorbs water and bulks up your stool and also makes you more regular.

I like and use pysllium like Metamucil. Make sure that you follow the directions and drink enough water with each dose and enough daily or it will cause constipation. When you first it will produce alot of GAS so start slow until your system gets use to it~~~

A person needs 25 to 35 grams of fiber daily so their intestines work properly. It should also include insoluble fiber as well as soluble fiber for normal BMs w/o straining!

Last edited by Harry; 09-04-2005 at 10:53 PM.

Old 09-05-2005, 05:25 AM   #3
Dee77
(female)

Dee77 HB User
Re: Help RE: Ribbon Stools & straining

Didn't your urologists tell you that with kidney stones, your not suppose to have calcium. My friend was told this.

Closed Thread