It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

On flagyl & Levaquin since 9/12 - no relief

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-2005, 09:05 AM   #1
ljt77
(female)

ljt77 HB Userljt77 HB Userljt77 HB Userljt77 HB User
On flagyl & Levaquin since 9/12 - no relief

I have been taking flagyl and Levaquin sonce last Monday for diverticulitis and if anything it's making my symptoms more pronounced. I originally thought I had a kidney stone and hat a cat scan which showed the diverticulitis in my sigmoid colon. The nurse I spoke to said I did not have an abcess and so it didn't look like a bad case, but after being on the antibiotics for a week I would have thought I would feel better, not worse. They didn't really tell me what to do about diet, so I have been winging it, trying to stay low residue. In the meantime my bowels slowed to a crawl until today, when I had very watery D. I still have a constant ache in my abdomen and my lower back hurts. The levaquin makes me naseous so I am taking it before bed and the flagyl tastes so horrible I dread taking it. I am not sure if I should call the doctor or give it a few more days. Also, I had a colonoscopy in March of this year wheich the doctor said showed nothing, although he did give me a script for flagyl at that time as well. Is it possible that this developed since the colonoscopy or should something have been apparent at that time?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2005, 10:44 AM   #2
SRMom
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: On flagyl & Levaquin since 9/12 - no relief

The diverticuli may have been seen in the colonoscopy, but they probably weren't infected at the time. You will probably have residual pain from inflammation for a couple of weeks, even after your infection is cleared. I would take a fiber supplement and some acidophilus too. This will help bulk up your BM's and help them pass more easily. Be sure to drink plenty of water. If you are in pain, take an anti-inflammatory med like aspirin or ibuprofen, or ask your doctor for something stronger (but remember, narcotic pain relievers will constipate).

Old 09-19-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
ljt77
(female)

Should I be taking a fiber supplement while on the medication? I had stopped because they wanted it out of my diet, but maybe I shouldn't have. Is there a way they can tell for sure that the infection is gone?

Old 09-19-2005, 11:00 AM   #4
SRMom
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Why did they want it out of your diet? I think it is fine to take fiber (fiber is in food we eat), maybe wait to take it a couple of hours after you take your medicine. They can tell if you still have an infection by checking your blood count.

Old 09-19-2005, 11:04 AM   #5
ljt77
(female)

They said to stay away from it to give my bowels a rest, because I had been having a lot of cramping and hard to pass stools. They have also said I have IBS so I take an anti-spasmodic for that as well. The cramping is much better but the pain in my lower left abdomen is worse, especially when I get up in the morning.

Old 09-19-2005, 11:34 AM   #6
SRMom
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

I tried to post earlier, but the website was down. Anyway, my husband has diverticulosis and feels the worst in the morning when he gets up. The fiber has helped him a lot, but you should wait until you are finished with your antibacterial meds. Your infection should be gone then, but you may still feel pain for awhile. Try a heating pad if you can. Hope you feel better.

Old 09-19-2005, 12:18 PM   #7
DiverGal
(female)

DiverGal HB User

For my severe bouts of diverticulitis, my doctor told me to stay low-residue and not take fiber supplements. As you said, the idea was to rest the colon. Whenever the diverticulitis flared, I would go clear liquid for a couple of days (doctor said that was fine in my case) until the pain settled down, then I would resume my low residue diet. If the bowel is inflamed, less bulk is better than more. The pain you're having sounds a lot like what I went through.

Fiber is a good thing (now that I'm better, I take fiber supplements daily and eat a high fiber diet), but check with your doctor to find out if it's a good idea in your case.

Old 09-19-2005, 02:53 PM   #8
maggiemoo
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

I agree with Divergal. Low residue diet while you're having a flare-up. My diverticuli got much, much worse in a year so yes, it is possible that you may have only had a mild case of diverticulosis that the doctor didn't mention--though he gave you a Rx? Don't know your age but when diverticulosis develops in people younger than 50 it can get worse faster. That was definitely my case.

You might want to give the doctor a call and let them know you're still feeling bad. They may have some other words of wisdom.

Hope you feel better soon.

Maggie

Old 09-20-2005, 06:12 AM   #9
ljt77
(female)

Sorry about the multiple posts (something weird with the site) and thanks to everyone for the feedback. I'll stick with the no /low fiber thing until I am off the meds. Hopefully that will take care of this. Maggiemoo, I am 39 and this is my first diverticulitis diagnosis. Yesterday I went from hard, difficult to pass stools to day long diarrhea. This is not fun. Or pretty. I am five months into a new job, and with having to take a lot of time before and after I had my gall bladder out in July I am trying to work throughout this latest thing...though it's not easy with the nausea and other problems with the meds. I feel like the day I turned 39 my body started falling apart! In the meantime I really want to join a gym and get in shape but have hesitated because of all that is going on. I am about 15-20 pounds overweight and want to improve my general health but have had setback after setback! Sorry if it seems I am whining!

Old 09-20-2005, 07:01 AM   #10
ljt77
(female)

Trying to post again, if this shows up twice my apologies! Thanks to all for the replies. I will continue with the low residue diet until I am off the meds. Maggiemoo, I am 39 and this is my first diverticulitis diagnosis. I seem to have started falling apart since I turned 39! Anyway, until yesterday I had hard, difficult to pass stools, now I am having constant diarrhea. I am trying to stay at work through all of this but it's not easy. I had to take a lot of time off earlier in the summer because of my gall bladder surgery and I am only five weeks into my job. I feel like crap though and keep having to run to the women's room! I also really want to join a gym and get in better shape but haven't because of everything that's gone on. UGH!

Old 09-20-2005, 07:35 AM   #11
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I have had diverticulitis for years before I had that part of colon removed. During that time, I was never given 2 antibiotics to clear up the infection.
The 2 antibiotics are pretty strong and as you may know kill-off the friendly bacteria as well as the bad type -- it can result in diarrhea.

I think you should contact your doctor and also take a probiotic supplement or you may end up with a yeast/candida infection and gastritis (inflamation of the stomach) that is difficult to treat???

I wish you well---Harry

Old 09-20-2005, 07:40 AM   #12
ljt77
(female)

Thanks Harry, I did go ahead and call the doctors office, am waiting for a call back from them. I am hoping they will change or discontinue one or both meds at this point. Where can I get a probiotic supplement? I already have a fuzzy tongue though no other yeast symptome yet, but I wonder if that's next. I have seen other posts where you mention probiotics but wasn't able to find any at a regular CVS store.

Old 09-20-2005, 07:49 AM   #13
SRMom
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

I buy probiotic supplements at Trader Joe's (they have a couple different kinds), but you can get acidophilus at any drug store...they may have probiotics too (probiotics contains acidophilus, among other things).

Old 09-20-2005, 08:01 AM   #14
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

A very good probiotic supply that I buy online is Culturelle -- it has been well tested also eat a good brand of yogurt --- helps

Old 09-20-2005, 03:46 PM   #15
ljt77
(female)

I heard from the doctor, they seem unconcerned about the diarrhea (which is getting worse as we speak). I am seriously considering stopping the antibiotics after 7 days because I can't keep this up!

Closed Thread