It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

Colitis flare up - need some advice

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-27-2005, 05:27 PM   #1
mikerugged

mikerugged HB User
Colitis flare up - need some advice

Hello everyone,

I was diagnoised with UC over a year ago and have not had to many attacks since I began my medication. (Asacol every 8 hours). However, for the last few days I have been expericeing bloody dirreah and some adominal cramping. It is not nearly as serve as it used to be, but what worries me most is the bleeding. The bleeding itself is not extremly serve, but its still there. Is this something that I need to go to my doc about right away? OR is this just a flare up and should I see what happens for a few days? This is really the first time I've had a signifigant re-occurance since I was diagonised, so any help or advice would be very very helpful. Im just very nervous about this whole thing....as you know, its not easy to live with...

Thanks guys.......

--mikerugged

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2005, 06:53 PM   #2
SRMom
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: Colitis flare up - need some advice

Hi mike:

I think bloody diarrhea is common with UC flareups, but if it is bothering you, I'd call your doctor's office...maybe you can talk to him/her or a nurse that can tell you if you should come in for a checkup. Try not to worry, that always makes it worse. Sorry you are going through this. Take care.

Old 10-01-2005, 01:58 PM   #3
mikerugged

mikerugged HB User

SRMOM,

Thanks for the reply. I talked with my doc, and he has increased my meds to 9 Asocol pills daily, and 1 casana daily. Said to try this for 7-10 days. However, he seemed concerned and stated that if this did not work, that I should begin steriod treatment. That is something I am not looking forward to, as we all know the horrible side effects that are associated with it. Oh well, just wanted to give everyone an update. Thanks again

--mikerugged

Old 10-01-2005, 06:03 PM   #4
inhisname

inhisname HB User

My last flare up I let go and did nothing -- big mistake ended up on prednisone for 60 days! Horrible- made my heart pound-kept me up at night-next time i start having diarrhea with blood in it ill be on the phone to the Dr the same day!

Old 10-02-2005, 09:19 AM   #5
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi....Mike, where in the colon is your UC (how far up)? Wow, from Canasa to pred????? Your doc has a few other options. I'd avoid the pred as long as possible (never been on it, and had UC for over 16 years).

I don't think the Canasa will help you much, you could consider asking the doc for Rowasa (or Salofalk if you're in Canada) retention enemas. The will go up into and treat as high as the sigmoid.

Both end treatment....you haven't even run the 5ASA route.

Remember....you have choices as well...pred isn't the be all and END all of UC.

Learn about the meds and how to use them properly. There's a system to the "madness" of UC.....5ASA can take a while to get it all under control...then one can taper the enemas using symptoms as the guide.

As well....5ASA is a preventative to keep inflammation down. My UC has never been as bad as when I was diagnosed...and I haven't bled in over 13 years with a flare because I have learned how to use my meds properly.

Hang tough...but 5ASA is really one of the best meds out there.

quincy

Old 10-24-2005, 08:43 PM   #6
mikerugged

mikerugged HB User

Hello guys,

Thanks inhisname and quincy for your feedback!

Since my last post my symptoms were getting better and it seemed my flare up was subsiding. However, within the last week, it has flared up again and the bleeding has not stopped for about a month now. I have also tried to watch my diet, but currently it is not helping.

Quincy,

I have left sided colitis that does not go beyond my left side. Currently, my doc has me on 9 asacol daily, as well as 1 canasa, and he said to take some Imodium when necessary. You are right about the Canasa, it really hasnít helped at all. After talking with my Doc, Im currently going to stay on my current treatment for now, which is good in a way (at least Im not on any steroids yet). Im not sure why my doc was so eager to put me on the steroid so quickly, but now he seems willing to try anything possible to not go on the steroid (change of mind I guess - strange, but good).

I live in the USA, and I would be willing to try other non-steroid treatments. Have you ever tried the Rowasa for UC flare ups? What is the 5ASA treatment route? Is there any reason my Doc hasnít mentioned these to me?

Also, I was wondering if you have ever had any muscle soreness related to UC flare ups. It may be a stretch, but since my flare up has started, my muscles, (esp. my hips and legs) are very sore (even to the touch). I do lift weights (5 years + now), but i have done nothing different that would warrant this kind of muscle soreness. Im also thinking about taking a break from weight training, as Im not sure if it causes any UC related problems.

Thanks for all your help with my questions. Any info would be extremely helpful, as I am still trying to learn about UC. Thanks again!

--mikerugged

Closed Thread