It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

alternating diarrhea and constipation

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-06-2005, 04:20 PM   #1
phil1978
(male)

phil1978 HB User
alternating diarrhea and constipation

Hello,

I am new to this forum and wanted to you about some of the symptoms I have been dealing with. I have had both diarrhea and constipation depending on what I eat. For example Friday I had a cod cut up plate for lunch(deep fried fish and fries) and that evening I had a 2 cheeseburger meal from Mcdonalds. I was unable to go to the bathroom except for a few flat litle pieces of stool. The next day I was feeling really full and crampy while sitting. So for lunch I had a salad. 3 hours after that I had 3 all water bowel movements. I then went to dinner where I had mashed potatoes and pork chops. After I went home I had two more water BM but, it still looked like the salad from lunch. So, today I had a #2 from Mcdonalds and can't go to the bathroom. I have pain on sides and back when I breath in deep. All of this is scaring me. I am only 27 and feel like I have cancer. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Phil

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2005, 07:39 PM   #2
phil1978
(male)

phil1978 HB User
Re: alternating diarrhea and constipation

can't anyone help? I need it.

Phil

Old 11-06-2005, 10:03 PM   #3
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Phil,
Your diet for a 27 yo is not very balanced.
A person needs 25 to 35 gm of fiber daily for their intestines to function properly.

The fiber needs to be a combination of soluble and insoluble fiber.

All meat & seafood and all dairy product contain no fiber.
Insoluble fiber is in fruits & veggies, bran and nuts/ seeds. Soluble fiber is grains like rice, corn, oats, barley & rye --w/o the outer husk. Beans & peas, root veggies.

Old 11-07-2005, 09:34 AM   #4
phil1978
(male)

phil1978 HB User

Harry,

Thanks for your reply. I went out and purchased some soluble fiber supplements last night after I posted. I wasfeeling really crampy and was able to pass a little gs but unable to have a BM. I took the fiber supplemets around 8:00 in the evening. I woke up at 3:00 this morning and was able to go. It was about 4 inchs long and little smaller than a quarterin diameter with some small flat pieces as well. Does that sound normal to you? Also, I went again around 8:00 this morning and it was a bunch of small little flat stools. Can the little flat stools be caused by eating dry cereal? I had a bit of dry cereal last night. I am worried about the smaller stools. Can this be caused by the food you eat sch as rice, cereal nuts and dried fruit? I really appreciate your help. Thanks

Phil

Old 11-07-2005, 10:36 AM   #5
Harry
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Lightbulb Re: alternating diarrhea and constipation

Phil,

Smaller stools is usually because you are not drinking enough water. Long thin stools indicate you are eating insoluble fiber like salads (greens) and other veggies and even fruit.

I found that I need about 7 gms of insoluble fiber supplement daily and I get it from Equate - the Wal Mart brand of psyllium like Metamucil. I take it twice daily. Don't forget you have 28 feet of intestines that food has to pass through and extract all the necessary nutrients for good health.

You are what you eat-- so if you want to have good optimum health you have to eat nutritional food. And it's not burgers and fries regularly-- there is just not enough fiber to make your bowels work right. You can do it sometimes.

It take a little planning to eat healthy.

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 11-07-2005 at 10:39 AM.

Closed Thread