It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

I'm having a colon resection in 2 weeks...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2005, 03:33 PM   #1
Gutless
Inactive
(male)

Gutless HB User
I'm having a colon resection in 2 weeks...

...can you help me anticipate what to expect?

I'm a 52 year old male and will have a resection due to diverticulitis. I've had a 14 year history of minor flare ups, but had a large abscess on my sigmoid colon last month and surgery is indicated. The surgeon tells me he expects it can be done with a laparoscope and a 4 to 5 inch incision. He doesn't know how much will need to be excised. The bowel will be reconnected in the same operation (God willing).

Could you please share your experiences with the recovery period, any helpful hints, pearls of wisdom, etc.? Do you have lingering issues that keep you from feeling "cured"? Do any of you regret having the surgery? Why?

I've done a good bit of research on the procedure, but there's no substitute for hearing directly from those who've "been there."

Thanks much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2005, 03:49 PM   #2
GaryHu
(male)

GaryHu HB User
Re: I'm having a colon resection in 2 weeks...

A very good friend of mine had this same operation. His was an emergency though because of rupture of the bowel. He is now doing fine and can eat anything now, nuts, corn etc. One good thing to look forward to. The only difference is that he must get to the bath room soon after having a large meal. He has told me he has no regrets at all.

I have just turned 60 and have also have reocurring diverticulitis. The last one is still getting better and it has been about 8 weeks. I am seeing a surgeon soon about this type of surgery, so keep us posted.

I will say a prayer.

Last edited by moderator4; 11-14-2005 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Repeating Quote is not needed--

Old 11-14-2005, 04:13 PM   #3
goody2shuz
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Hi ,Gutless I had a colon resection about 18 months ago and can totally understand where you're at in terms of wanting to know what to expect.

You will need to first prepare your bowels with a similar prep as to that prior to a colonoscopy.....however the only difference is that you will have to take 2 heavy duty doses of antibiotics and do a fleets enema the morning of the surgery. As far as the surgery.....it will most likely involve a 3-5 day hospital stay. If done laproscopically you will have one 4-5 inch incision on the left lower side, one around 2 inches at the belly button and two or three more 1/2 inch incisions. Pain is managed in several ways...either by a self administered pump of morphine in which you medicate yourself with the push of a button as needed or by an epidural which is placed in a position to totally numb you without impeding your ability to walk. You may have a NG tube in place (a tube in your nose to your stomach) which facilitates in keeping the pressure off of the stomach and digestive tract until it wakes up from the anesthesia. Mine was removed in the recovery room but some surgeons like to keep it in for a day so that will vary from surgeon to surgeon. You will also have a foley catheter ( a tube into your bladder to a collection bag) which you will welcome since a trip to the bathroom is difficult the first day or so.

The important thing is to get up & moving ASAP....as soon as you are passing gas you will be able to start progressing your diet....by the time you go home you will pretty much be on a regular diet minus raw fruits & veggies, nuts, popcorn, peas, corn. You will be able to go home once you poop....some surgeons send you home before.

If you were to ask a post resectie like myself how they feel after the surgery most will say that they are glad that they had it...that their quality of life is soooo much better not having the pain and antibiotics and worry about numerous hospitalizations and possible perforation or rupture with a colostomy. I eat everything....even "Everything" bagels, popcorn, nuts.....with no problems whatsoever!!!

Recuperation averages around 5 weeks whether done laproscopically or open, however, there are those who have returned to wrok only after 3 weeks.

I hope this helps.

~ Goody

Last edited by Administrator; 02-23-2006 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Do not start separate groups on the boards.

Old 11-14-2005, 07:43 PM   #4
maggiemoo
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

Gutless,

I am one year out from my surgery and I have no regrets. I eat anything I want. I also make sure I drink plenty of water and plenty of fiber. Mine was done laprascopic with a three inch incision--it is vertical about 2 inches down from my belly button. The other incisions were just tiny ones. I was one that had the NG tube a few days but it is tolerable. I think most guys even have a easier time with it as they have bigger throats--note I didn't say bigger mouths. I had the epidural for pain management and loved it. I had little pain while I was in the hospital and not much after I got home. Like Goody said the most importnat thing is to get up moving soon after surgery.

Maggie

Last edited by Administrator; 02-23-2006 at 10:45 AM.

Old 11-15-2005, 04:08 PM   #5
Gutless
Inactive
(male)

Gutless HB User

Thank you for your responses. I'll post my own experiences in a month or so.
Thanks, again.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-23-2006 at 10:45 AM.

Old 11-15-2005, 05:15 PM   #6
greg1x
(male)

greg1x HB User

What a coincidence, my bowel resection is scheduled for November 30th( I had my pre-op with the surgeon today). I am also a male, age 46 --in a few weeks. I have been following this board for months. I started with my first attack in April of this year. We will have to keep each other posted on our progress.
Greg

Last edited by Administrator; 02-23-2006 at 10:46 AM.

Old 11-20-2005, 01:24 PM   #7
greg1x
(male)

greg1x HB User

Gutless,
When is your resection scheduled? Mine is November 30th, hospital pre-op is this Wednesday.
greg

Closed Thread