It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• change in bowel habits... how long to wait?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-30-2005, 06:28 PM   #1
    jvossrn

jvossrn HB User
    change in bowel habits... how long to wait?

Thanks to those listening/reading, and please know my prayers are with you.

I have a question regarding bowel habits, and when to consult with a doctor. I am 28 years old, healthy aside from GERD. I have always had bowel movements regularly, at least once per day, often two to three daily. Starting a month ago, I noticed that I had gone a week without having a bowel movement. After 7 days, I started drinking prune juice, and took some senokot with results finally at 9 days, but the stools were small, pencil like stools, and some watery diarrhea. After this, I went another week, had to take senokot (large amount), and this time with nausea, vomiting, and pencil stools, progressing to watery diarrhea. After this, I thought I'd really step up the fiber and water intake, and have been eating bran flakes, lots of vegetables, etc. And again, another week with no bowel movement. I have had no changes in medication, no activity changes, no stress, etc. I haven't noticed any blood in my stools. How long should one wait to see their internist about a change in bowel habits? I have seen anywhere from fairly immediately, to waiting 6 weeks safely. I don't want to jump the gun by going in, but at the same time, don't want to delay if it is important that I be seen.
    I really appreciate any input,
    Thanks!
    Jvoss

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2005, 01:13 AM   #2
    janine65
    (female)

janine65 HB User
    Re: change in bowel habits... how long to wait?

hi jvoss
    sounds to me like you are constipated and need an enema. the watery diarrhoea is usually overflow from around the blockage.
    hope this helps
    Janine

Old 12-01-2005, 07:31 PM   #3
    jaydees
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jaydees HB User
    Re: change in bowel habits... how long to wait?

Quote:
    How long should one wait to see their internist about a change in bowel habits?
    Make the appointment now. If things get better before then you can always cancel.
    Senakot is a fairly mild laxitive but should have gotten things moving a lot better. when you say you took a "large amount" how much exactly? The normal doseage is usually 1 to 4 tablets. 4, 5, or 6 would not normally be enough to cause nausea or vomiting, 10 or 12 might. If it was only 4-6 and it caused vomiting that is not good. It all suggests a blockage of some sort and should be investigated soon.

Closed Thread