It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• What is least expensive method to test for internal bleeding?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-04-2005, 10:20 PM   #1
    cjFTWORTH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cjFTWORTH HB User
    What is least expensive method to test for internal bleeding?

I've read several old post on black tarry stools, which I've had for the 4 days. I do not iron supplements, etc and am not on any new meds. I do however have lyme disease, am on two antibiotics, and a sleugh of supplements, but nothing new.

I do not have health insurance and want to know what the least expensive approach might be to looking for where bleeding might be coming from.

Thanks, cj

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2005, 09:07 AM   #2
    Barrygood
    (male)

Barrygood HB User
    Thumbs up Re: What is least expensive method to test for internal bleeding?

Hello cjFTWORTH....The least expensive and most accurate way to test for Internal Bleeding is by using a a Dip Stick method of the stool and placing it on a reagent paper called "HEMOCCULT", which you can pick up at your Pharmacy or Hospital/Surgical Supply Store. They can order it for you if, not in stock. The manufacturer is Bechman Coulter. This type of diagnostic test is often used in hospitals.

Last edited by Barrygood; 12-05-2005 at 09:08 AM.

Old 12-05-2005, 09:23 AM   #3
    cjFTWORTH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cjFTWORTH HB User
    Re: What is least expensive method to test for internal bleeding?

thanks so much for your quick reply. concern: from a quick research on this testing, it appears to only test for lower bowel bleeding. and from what i read last night, black stool is often indictative of bleeding from higher up in gi tract. ....

input?

and again, much thanks...cj

Old 12-05-2005, 03:05 PM   #4
    Barrygood
    (male)

Barrygood HB User
    Thumbs up Re: What is least expensive method to test for internal bleeding?

Hello cjFTWORTH.....Yes that is correct...Bleeding can occur in either upper or lower parts of the Body. The Hemoccult is still the way to go. The initial test is always the Hemoccult. If further testing is needed, then a blood test would be taken to determine if there is a decrease in Hemoglobin and other values that might be indicative of bleeding. An Upper and Lower Endoscopy can also show if there is bleeding, but more on a "Gross Level" as compared to microscopic. But again, the way to "save money" is for you to do the test yourself(Hemoccult). It is easy to do and comes with directions. If there is bleeding, take the test results to show to a Doctor or bring to an Emergency Room, where they would probably take the test again.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:31 PM   #5
    cjFTWORTH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cjFTWORTH HB User
    Re: What is least expensive method to test for internal bleeding?

thanks again...

Closed Thread