It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• fiber supplements

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-18-2006, 09:08 AM   #16
    Gutless
    Inactive
    (male)

Gutless HB User
    Re: fiber supplements

Good discussion here!

But, in defense of rice (one of my favorites), let me say that brown and wild rice are great sources of fiber. The processed and enriched (white) varieties are almost devoid of fiber. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water here. Rice is a good whole grain in its natural form. Brown rice, for those of you who have not tried it, is one of the most flavorful grains I've experienced. Try it, you'll like it!

Last edited by Gutless; 01-18-2006 at 10:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2006, 09:17 AM   #17
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I have read alot about the use of aspartame -- I think if it is used in moderation ---It's OK
    I eat brown rice daily-- well almost!!

Old 01-18-2006, 03:21 PM   #18
    vintagedream
    (female)

vintagedream HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gutless
    Brown rice, for those of you who have not tried it, is one of the most flavorful grains I've experienced. Try it, you'll like it!
    hi gutless!
    i know... i've just been recently eating brown rice instead of the usual white rice that i've been consuming my whole life! and i must say, it really is better tasting (and feels much better in the stomach, LOL), than the white rice. i think it's more expensive than white rice... but it's healthier since it has more fiber in it, ryt?

i love rice, too. in our country, we can't do without it (practically). so i was bummed when i had to avoid it to help my constipation problems. but now that i've started consuming brown rice, i'll have to see whether it's going to have any positive effect on constipation.

hi harry!
    at the moment, i have FiberMate. my doctor suggested i supplement with it for a week or so to see if it can help me have more regular bowel movements. but when i saw that it has aspartame in it, i had second thoughts. so many studies have shown that aspartame is toxic to the body. i don't want to be taking the risk when i believe there are still fiber supplements out there with no aspartame in its ingredients. know what i mean?

Last edited by vintagedream; 01-18-2006 at 03:24 PM.

Old 01-22-2006, 12:13 AM   #19
    vintagedream
    (female)

vintagedream HB User

has anybody tried Metamucil's Fiber wafers? are they any good? would you recommend it?

Harry, how many grams of fiber do you consume everyday? and how many of it comes from fiber supplements?

Old 01-22-2006, 08:15 AM   #20
    Gutless
    Inactive
    (male)

Gutless HB User

I use the Metamucil wafers and they are not bad. I've seen 2 flavors, apple and cinnamon...I've only tried the cinnamon. They come 2 wafers per envelope for a total of 6g of fiber. They are like a hard, dense cracker similar to an English "bisquit." My only complaint is that they get stuck in and between my teeth. Keep a toothpick handy and drink 8 oz. of fluidwhen eating.

Old 01-22-2006, 09:57 AM   #21
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Hi Vintage D,

I intake between 25 and 30 grams of fiber daily.
    I take about 8 grams from fiber suplements daily.

Harry

Old 01-22-2006, 02:40 PM   #22
    vintagedream
    (female)

vintagedream HB User

i wonder, could i just get the 25-35 from fiber supplements? i really really hate any kind of vegetable, my taste buds just simply resist even just the thought of them. LOL. so can i just get all my fiber needs from, let's say, psyllium husk supplements, fiber wafers, whole wheat bread, brown rice, maybe fruits, or fiber cereals? what do you think?

Old 01-22-2006, 03:56 PM   #23
    r0cky
    (female)

r0cky HB User

I take Yerba Prima's Daily Fiber Caps. It is a concentrated source of all 5 fiber types and also supports friendly bacteria. It has psyllium seed husks, acacia gum, soy fiber (non-GMO), oat bran, and apple pectin extract.

I have tried soooo many different fiber supplements over the last decade or so and this one is the first one to actually help me maintain regularity (I suffer from IBS). I have also been able to get my mom to switch from Metamucil to this Yerba Prima.

Remember, it is very important to get both soluble AND insoluble fiber.

Old 01-22-2006, 10:01 PM   #24
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I think you need to eat a balanced diet with a form of supplement.
    A person needs alot of different nutrients from vitamins, minerals, carbs, fats, protein and so on to be healthy and it all starts with what you eat and drink.

I think what you do now really affects the rest of your life--- it's health and well being. I think if you did what you are thinking about it will not be long and you will regret it!!!

Harry

Closed Thread