It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Post-Resection Worry

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2006, 06:13 PM   #1
    MrsQueeZ
    (female)

MrsQueeZ HB User
    Post-Resection Worry

Hi all! It has been about 11 weeks since my hysterectomy/colon resection. I thought things were going pretty well. I went back to teaching last week, and although I was tired and had some pain, it wasn't too bad. On Sunday, I started getting some abdominal pain, like a sideache on both sides. And horizontally all the way across, above my belly button, I was getting heavy cramping, like diarrhea was on the way. That kind of let up, but the pain is still there, with some tenderness to the touch around the bellybutton area. I feel like I am back to the first week post surgery! It hurts to get up, like my guts are falling. It hurts to walk, like things are loose and jiggling. It hurts to cough and drive in the car, with the sudden jars. I am trying to give it a couple of days because the pain is steady, not growing worse, and I thought maybe I had caught a bug or something, or things were settling in new ways, I don't know. I am also worried that I may have an accumulation of fluid, like a hematoma, brewing, and that worries me some. Every once in awhile, I get a sharper stab of pain, anywhere from the bladder, straight down, to just about anywhere in the abdominal area. BMs are normal, not really any constipation. I feel like something is in a knot, or there is a lot of pressure building. Hard to describe exactly. And I swear I am a little more swollen than I was! I know, I need to call the doctor. I am not sure which doctor to call, and I just wondered if anything like this has happened to anyone else.

Renata

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2006, 09:07 PM   #2
    maggiemoo
    (female)

maggiemoo HB User
    Re: Post-Resection Worry

Renata,

I'm sorry that you are feeling bad. I doubt if it makes much difference which doctor to call. Which one are you the most comfortable with and which one do you think will respond the quickest?

I don't know much about hematomas but would you be developing one this far post-op? I had one that I started having symptoms with about 2 weeks post-op. It was probably present from the beginning but I started developing an infection with it and that it why we discovered it.

Good luck and hope you feel better.

Maggie

Old 03-07-2006, 09:20 PM   #3
    gomer4
    (female)

gomer4 HB User

Oh My.........I would call the doctor. I am sorry to hear that you are feeling this way. Maybe you should take off from school for a bit. But maybe the doctor could at least reassure you.
    My surgery is scheduled for April 7. Don't I have a lot to look forward to!!! I wonder how many weeks I should take off work? You took 6, right? Maybe that wasn't enough.

Lori

Old 03-07-2006, 11:48 PM   #4
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Renata,

After having 2 1/2 feet of my colon removed, I would get very bad cramps when eating certain foods. The worst food was Honeydew melons. It would double me over.
    I found a homeopathic remedy that is great for cramping and spasms -- Magnesia Phos -- taken as needed. You can buy it at a health food store.

I have especially noticed that I get alot of trapped gas in my colon that causes pain when pressing on that area.
    As you may know there are alot of foods that cause gas including swallowing air. There are alot of sites available to read about Controlling Intestinal Gas---just do a Search on the WEB at the top of this page-- on Google.

I also think you should contact your Doctor -- probably your surgeon-- just in case it is something more serious. I had a Colon Rectal surgeon but was not much help with me after surgery. I never had an infection but I did have to re-balance my friendly intestinal bacteria with yogurt and probiotic supplements.

God Bless_~~~Harry

Old 03-08-2006, 12:41 AM   #5
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Renata ~ I recall at my 5 week mark I had even more pain than when I first got home. I was worried too. Felt like a fire in the belly.

I wouldn't worry too much so long as there is no fever, abdominal distention, or vomitting involved. I think that it is just those internal sutures healing and sometimes tightening as they do along with nerves waking up so that the pain seems worse.

I just wanted to reassure you having had such pain when I thought that it should be better.

Of course, it never hurts to have it checked out since it is diffcult for us to tell what is really going on from here.

((HUGS))) ~ Goody

Old 03-08-2006, 08:13 AM   #6
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Hey, Renata Just checking in to see how you are doing. I sure hope things are going okay and that you will provide us with an update soon. Until then please know that you are in goody's thoughts & prayers.

When I reread your initial post, I saw how the sypmtoms you described were very much like the pain that took over my belly.....I couldn't even get in the car with my hubby without every bump causing excrutiating pain. I wondered why I felt that much pan during a time I sould have been pretty much recovered. I was thinking I may have developed adhesions or something but everything went unfounded.

When I posted about it everyone told me to go to the ER and when I had it checked out everything checked out okay. Their main concern was a postop leakage/abcess and like I said all went okay. So I thought that I would pop back on here to alleviate any fears you may have.

However, with that suture line that opened up when you first get home and tha pus comig out, I would be concerned as to whether that completely resolved. That is something that does concern me and being that you had that happen I would definitely place a call to your surgeon's office or whoever followed up with you on that.

((((HUGS)))) and prayers ~ Goody

Old 03-08-2006, 05:47 PM   #7
    MrsQueeZ
    (female)

MrsQueeZ HB User

I just wanted to let you all know that I called my colon doctor and I have an appointment tomorrow. I can't tell for sure, but I swear my belly button is seeping a little!! I noticed that over the weekend, that it was sore, and when I examined it, it was oozy and rashy looking from being wet. Nasty, I know!! Well, I thought, maybe it is just like belly button lint or something, and I need to make sure it is dry, clean and not accumulating sweat. Wrong! Now I am keeping a little gauze stuffed in there, and it gets slightly wet, even when I am making sure the area is dry and clean!! And the pain continues, even though I am not having trouble peeing or having BMs. When I walk, I feel like I am carrying a 5-beer bladder after a few hours! Just generally feel like I am sloshing around inside, and like my guts are falling out when I first stand. I know I have had the munchies, and have been eating much more than I was, but I have gained 20 POUNDS since the surgery!!! I don't know if I would rather hear it is nothing, or it is something. Something would mean more tests, possible prodding, draining, antibiotics, etc. Nothing would mean pain and weight gain for no reason.

Oh, Lori, I took over 8 weeks off, but I did have the hysterectomy as well as the colon resection. I know you feel like you don't have much to look forward to, but even with this setback, I know I am better off than I was! I don't regret it for a moment, and strangely, I feel much more stable than I was!! And Goody, glad to know that I am not the only one with a sudden setback. Glad also to know yours passed without there being much of a reason really. Harry, I am lucky enough to have an awesome colon doctor, who helped me with probiotics, etc., following my surgery. (And I always enjoy hearing your posts about specific items you have found helpful for different reasons. You have sooo much knowledge firsthand!) It is my gyn that I wasn't real keen on. Not that he wasn't a pro, it's just that he was a lot more rushed and businesslike. Maggie, that's why I decided to call my colon doctor, and I got in right away tomorrow. She seems to have a lot more time for me, in my opinion. And she will take me seriously, and won't hesitate to order a scan, or whatever she thinks is needed. At least that is how she has been in the past. Thanks, all, for checking in with me, and letting me know what you think. Wish me luck! I will let you know!

Renata

Old 03-08-2006, 07:17 PM   #8
    gomer4
    (female)

gomer4 HB User

I am not looking forward to any of this!!! And what is this "leakage?" My doctor listed that as a risk with a very low percentage having it, but I am wondering exactly what it is?
    Renata.......good luck at the doctor!

Lori

Last edited by moderator4; 03-09-2006 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Please Do not get off topic with other Members.

Old 03-08-2006, 07:24 PM   #9
    maggiemoo
    (female)

maggiemoo HB User

Renata,

Glad you are going in. I was thinking that you were very pleased with your colon surgeon. Mine also was a woman surgeon and I was very pleased with her.

Be sure to mention your weight gain and let us know what you find out.

Maggie

Old 03-09-2006, 03:59 AM   #10
    MrsQueeZ
    (female)

MrsQueeZ HB User

Lori-The leakage can either be a seroma or hematoma, and it is fluid accumulation between different layers as you are healing. I understood it to be the body's way of filling in an air gap that is formed from surgery, or just the trauma of surgery, and the body creating a cushion. Some of the fluid bubbles or layers are simply reabsorbed by the body, some find their way out. I had one that caused my incision line to split apart with a gush of fluid that freaked me out, right after my staples came out! It turned out just fine, and the doctors reassured me that it wasn't infection. And thirdly, the fluid can get trapped and grow large, which is what I am kind of worried about right now! I guess it is not too uncommon on top of the hysterectomy site, and maybe I should be seeing my gyn, but I like my colon doctor better!

Renata

Old 03-09-2006, 05:25 AM   #11
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Lori ~ Hi, sweetie, try not to get too overwhelmed with all of this. As a mattter of fact, when you actually go to sign the consent form for your surgery, you will see all sorts of complicationsx of the surgery listed that will make you want to bolt out of there. Please don't get overly concerned....like when the side effects are listed on a med....they have to list them all even if one person in a million has experienced something adverse to ingesting it. Try looking up a multivitamin and if you read the side effects, you may not even wish to take one!!

Leakage is listed as a possible complication following a resection. Unfortunately, some do undergo this complication and we still do not know what it is that is happening to Renata. The "leakage" that I was told about is from the anastamosis site (where the colon is rejoined to the rectum after the bad section of the colon is removed). Of course this is a complication of this surgery because anytime you cut something you weaken it. However, after they reattach the colon to the rectum (this is usally done with fine stappling and overlapping of tissue to really seal the deal) they flush it out with saline and check for a leak. When the docotr closes you back up he is exptremely confident that the reattached colon is free of any leakage. However, during the healing process, a small percentage of people may leak due to a staple loosening up inside. This type of leakage would have more symptoms than Renata is experiencing such as fever, chills, nausea, abdominal pain, vommiting, diarrhea etc.

In other cases, like we saw a few days after Renata's discharge, sometimes a pooling of blood or pus forms between two layers due to a weakening of one of the internal suture sites that hold things together after they had cut through it to gain access to the colon. This happened to Renata....we must remember that Renata's resection was much more involved than the usual because she had a hysterectomy as well. She had what we referred to here as a million dollar tuneup!!! So you must take this into account when you see her going through a complcation following her surgery.....that there will be more chances because she had multiple surgeries involved at one time.

Renata ~ glad you're going in to see the doctor today, please let us all know what the doctor says...we hope that he gets this looked into quickly and has you back on your feet again real soon.

Lori
    You just try to keep yourself from worying too much......I know that you still have time before your surgery, like we have said, try to keep busy until the time comes.

Lots of (((HUGS))) before you go in and prayers that Renata is feeling better again~ Goody

Last edited by moderator4; 03-09-2006 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Please do not get off the Thread Topic.

Old 03-09-2006, 05:21 PM   #12
    MrsQueeZ
    (female)

MrsQueeZ HB User

Hi All! Well, another fun afternoon of doctor visits. I swear my goal this year is to NOT reach my out of pocket limit!!!! My doctor seemed totally stumped. She was questioning along the lines of a possible blockage, like the presence of vomiting or lack of bowel movements. Nope, everything is fine there. Then she seemed to be thinking congestive heart failure or something along those lines, like was I having shortness of breath, fluttering heart, etc. Nope. She did say she thought she could "feel something" and she agreed that I looked bigger in the stomach area. The whole time, oh man, lots of pressure from her pushing around, sort of like when you gotta pee and you feel it bending over. So anyway, 9 different blood tests, and tomorrow I have another CT scan, and I am going back to see her in a week...sigh. She said that this is NOT what people typically come back to her for, 2 months down the road. (She didn't tell me what they do come back for!) And she said that everything may come back and not show anything, and we will just have to go from there. So another week of waiting. Maybe I will deflate before then.

Renata

Old 03-09-2006, 09:29 PM   #13
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Renata,
    I know you are concerned and probably disappointed after the Doctor's Exam.
    The checkup at 2 month is just that -- they look and say OK.

I hope you are urinating enough.? If you were a male I would say -- have your Protate checked--- I had that done recently --- a urine dynamic study-- not a good test -- it hurt.

Thank goodness for CT scans -- the Radiologist should be able to tell what it is or isn't in the report.

Please let us know?? Where I live -- I would get a copy of the reports the same day the test is read! I would not wait a week for the test results from the Doctor. Freedom of information to a patient -- I see that I get it.
    I have several tests that are run every 6 months to keep tract problems. I also get a blood test every 2 to 3 weeks by perscipttion for potassium level and get the results that day. I see the Doc every 4 month. The perscrition says -- Please give results to patient and I make adjustment to my medication-- for 9 years now.

As you may know bloating in the intestines can cause alot of spasms, cramping along with pain.

I certainly wish you well~~~Harry

Old 03-10-2006, 03:59 AM   #14
    MrsQueeZ
    (female)

MrsQueeZ HB User

Harry-Other than that night of cramping waves, the intestines have felt very calm, and my bms are pretty much back to the way they were before my surgery even! As far as urine, I guess I will have to notice more whether I think I am putting out my normal amount. I haven't noticed that as well because I have been going more because of the sloshing, pressure feeling. I just stop in and go, hoping it will help with that. Ugh, the urodynamics test!! Yuck! I went through that whole humiliation and expense before my surgery. And the test was inconclusive, as they turned off the machine after pumping me full to the max and not leaking a drop! My bladder symptoms pretty much went away with the hysterectomy. Until recently, where I am feeling like it is under pressure again.

If nothing else, I can give the gyn a try if things continue. On my hysterectomy web site, there are a lot more messages about this type of thing happening. One woman said she lost 17 pounds in 16 hours when they started draining her! Lots more talk about "swelly belly" too, which doesn't seem like much of a complaint with colon surgery alone.

At school, some people are telling me I am growing a stress bubble. The kids have been pure animals as spring break approaches. It is scary what happens to teens with raging hormones as spring comes. They fight, cry, giggle...they smart off more than normal, trip each other, throw things. And this is the kids who are normally the GOOD ones!! They are shocking and scary at times. But I have been through it 18 times, each year. Perfectly normal. I swear that any child between the ages of 12 and 14 could qualify in some way for emotional disability, and benefit from counseling. Or their teachers could!!! Sometimes I feel like asking them if it is time for their medication or mine! But I have to say, for the most part, I enjoy the little monsters. They are very tiring though, especially with what I have been through this year!

Renata

Old 03-10-2006, 09:14 PM   #15
    maggiemoo
    (female)

maggiemoo HB User

Renata,

Did you find out anything today from your scan? Call the doctor on Monday if you don't want to wait until next Friday.

Are you off this next week? Hopefully, you can get this figured out. I am on Spring Break -planning to paint some indoors, get my hair highlighted and generally relax.

Have a good weekend.

Maggie

Closed Thread