It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Going For My Sigmoidoscopy Today

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2006, 05:40 AM   #1
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User
    Going For My Sigmoidoscopy Today

Hey everyone Today I am going for a sigmoidoscopy to check into some rectal bleeding I am having. The gastro and I both feel it is from internal hemorrhoids but he still wants to have a lookie

Now I have had several colonoscopies done in the past but has anyone here ever had a sigmoidoscopy?? The good thing is that I do not have to do that yucky prep....only have to do a fleets 1 hour before. And I get to have a light breakfast since it is in the afternoon.

I just want to know what to expect being that it will be done in the gastro's office. Will it hurt at all??? I know I'm such a wimp when it comes to new things!!! I found it rather funny because they removed my sigmoid colon in my resection and when he said that he was going to do a sigmoidoscopy I shocked the doctor and myself by asking how he would ever find my sigmoid since it had been removed!!! That had us both laughing!!! Had to break the ice somehow!!!

Anyway, I just thought I would see if anyone here ever had one and what to expect. I am guessing that it is more embaressing and uncomfrtable than anything else but thought I would check with some of you folks here!!!

Thanks ~ Goody

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2006, 06:41 AM   #2
    Angela22F
    Veteran
    (female)

Angela22F HB User
    Re: Going For My Sigmoidoscopy Today

I had one done a few months back. Obviuosly you are more aware as they don't normally give a sedative for it.

I did not find it too painful, a little uncomfortable though, especially when they went around a bend.

It is embarrassing, but I'm sure the doc has seen much worse things. It's worse for us, for them it's an everday thing and they think nothing of it.

THe good thing is, it doesn't last too long. For me the waiting was the worst part. The actualy scope only lasted about 5 to 10 minutes. In and out in no time. And I felt so silly for being so worried.

I'm sure you will be fine Good Luck

Angela

Last edited by Angela22F; 04-07-2006 at 06:47 AM.

Old 04-07-2006, 07:15 AM   #3
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

The first rectal exam I ever had was a sigmoid exam many years ago. I certainly did not like it but it is not a long procedure. You will make out fine!!

Old 04-07-2006, 07:18 AM   #4
    magic8-ball
    Inactive
    (female)

magic8-ball HB User

Angela nailed it--embarrasing, slightly uncomfortable but not too bad.

And not having to do the whole prep thing was awesome!

Old 04-07-2006, 01:33 PM   #5
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Thanks everyone I'm back and it wasn't bad at all. Internal hemorrhoids just like I thought but not much to worry about. The doctor said I did good......I had a colon resection almost 2 years ago for diverticulitis and the doctor was able to see more than 3/4 of my colon and there are no signs of any tics. Needless to say, just to hear that bit of news made it all worth it!!!

Thanks again for getting me through ~ Goody

Old 04-07-2006, 03:55 PM   #6
    Marmex
    (female)

Marmex HB User

Hi Goody- just read this post after the fact- so glad that all went well w/ the sigmoidoscopy today. I wondered where your sigmoid was as well- guess they just call it the same thing but it is actually another part of the colon which was reattached 2 years ago- right??? So glad no tics- that is such a relief after all you went thru having the surgery. What do you do to treat the hemmoroids??? Take care and feel better and relieved. I'm so happy for you. Stackie

Old 04-07-2006, 08:37 PM   #7
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Thanks Stackie for your post!!! Yes I am glad it's over. The doctor didn't seem too concerned about the hemorrhoids and so long as I do not become constipated they shouldn't be a problem. I am just relieved to have heard that everything looked good inside after my resection. I was afraid there might be scar tissue or more tics but I got the best news of all. Also, he told me that he was able to get 90% through my colon and so said that I could skip my colonoscopy at 5 years to 10 years. That really made my day.....no more preps for another 10 years!!!

Hope all is going well with you too!!! ~ Goody

Old 04-09-2006, 09:05 PM   #8
    maggiemoo
    (female)

maggiemoo HB User

Goody,

Glad everything worked out for you. Nothing like worry to get you down. What a relief to know that you haven't developed anymore tics!!! That is something I have also wondered about. Hopefully all the fiber we consume will do the trick.

Maggie

Closed Thread