It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Harry Benefiber vs Fiber-Sure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-30-2006, 11:06 AM   #1
    urid
    (female)

urid HB User
    Harry Benefiber vs Fiber-Sure

Harry,
    I will ask you this fiber question. Per serving Benefiber has 3 g of Diatary Fiber and 3 g of soluble fiber made from partically hydrolyzed guar gum, and Fiber-Sure has 5 gr of diatary fiber and 5 g of soluble fiber made from Inulin (a 100% vegetable fiber) Both of these are tasteless and so easy to use, BUT are they as good as the psyllium in the regular Metamucil? I have put the Benefiber in milk and on cereal and can't tell it's even there, and now the Fiber-Sure says you can even use it in baking. I know I don't like the regualr Metamucil, but, on the other hand, I also know that it works great. I am just trying to find something easier to use. Thanks Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2006, 08:36 PM   #2
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Re: Harry Benefiber vs Fiber-Sure

Hi Urid,
    I have not used either Benefiber or Fiber--Sure but have used Inulin. Inulin is made from chicory root and it is the fiber in Fiber Choice and it is added to the Stonyfield Farm yogurt I eat -- 3gm per 8 ozs.

Since you have used Benefiber & Psyllium --- do you find that they work as well as each other?

I have used psyllium for many years in the Powder form that you mix with water. It works fine for me and the food I eat.

My wife uses psyllium capsules because of the delayed reaction. She takes psyllium caps from the Vitamin Shoppe -- 880mgm per capsule. It is the largest size I have found.

The powder form starts to absorb fluid at the time it comes in contact with it --- so in some people it bloats in the stomach causing pain to some that are sensitive to bloating --- caps don't work until they dissolve-- may be in the intestines.

I have found that the it takes 7 to 8 gms of psyllium daily for me to be regular. I use the Equate brand from Wal Mart. The Metamucil seems too powdery or fine-- the Equate brand seems courser, you get more psyllium per dose and itcost about half.

I wish you well~~~Harry

Last edited by Harry; 04-30-2006 at 08:38 PM.

Old 05-01-2006, 05:54 AM   #3
    urid
    (female)

urid HB User
    Re: Harry Benefiber vs Fiber-Sure

Thank you Harry for your reply. I have not used either one long enough to know if they work as well as Metamucil. I thought maybe you or someone you know has tried one or both and had an opinion one way or the other.

Closed Thread