It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Proctitis...does anyone have this?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-13-2006, 09:18 PM   #1
    jbar47
    (male)

jbar47 HB User
    Proctitis...does anyone have this?

Does anyone have proctitis, or know much about it? I was told after my colonoscopy that I have this, and would appreciate any info you all might have, or if you could share your experiences. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2006, 01:26 AM   #2
    Leahlove
    (female)

Leahlove HB User
    Re: Proctitis...does anyone have this?

I was told I have that too after a colonoscopy. All they told me was it's inflamation of the lower colon and anus. I want to learn more also. I've googled it a few times and didn't many results. Let me know if you find out anything more also!!!

Old 09-19-2006, 10:55 PM   #3
    jbar47
    (male)

jbar47 HB User

Leah - I just met w/ my colo-rectal surgeon today. He biopsied some tissue fom the inflamed area and the results were negative for cancer. Here's some things I learned about Proctitis from him -

It is similar to Colitis, in that it's an inflammation, but it's confined to the rectum and does not extend into the colon. In my case, it's a section about 1 and 1/2 inches that is inflamed.

Left untreated, or if unresponsive to treatment, it can become chronic. However, if it responds to treatment it can clear up, and in some cases never come back. I am on 1000mg Canasa suppositories once per day. My doc says that may be enough to successfully treat it. Other options past that are oral meds, and some kind of enemas.

There are surgical options, and in some cases surgery may be needed, but my surgeon said that would be way down the road and he'd prefer to treat it with medicine first.

I started going to this surgeon for a fissure. I asked him if having the fissure and the surgery could have brough this inflammation on. He said no. He said fissures don't cause Proctitis, but Procititis can cause a fissure.

A GI can go over your diet and bowel habits to see if something you are doing could have caused it, and to prevent a reoccurence once it is treated.

My surgeon told me stress can cause this, as well as causing other bowel disorders. For some people, stress leads to migraines, or heart attacks. For others, we develop bowel disorders.

Some other research I've done on my own found that there are a few main contributing factors to developing this:

- Jewish people have an increased predisposition
    - hereditary bowel disorders
    - oral-anal sexual contact and homosexual sex (though this seems to be in dispute, as some people say it can't be passed from sexual contact)
    - latent intolerances to food. One site operated by a Proctitis sufferer said he has had no reoccurence in several years after altering his diet and cutting out man-made sugars and products containing wheat and gluten. I will be asking my GI about this. I've also contacted my brother, who is a vegan, and asked if his diet is gluten free. If so, and if the GI says that's something that causes it, I may actually take the plunge and become a vegetarian (people who know me will faint if they hear me say this, as I am definitely a carnivore! In any case, the only meat I am eating from now on is poultry, "white" cuts of pork like pork loin, and seafood).

If I find out more, I'll post it. Hope others will do the same!

Old 09-22-2006, 01:39 PM   #4
    BlissChick
    (female)

BlissChick HB User

I have had it for 3 years, and it took me 2 years to get it under control. I have been drug free for 10 months. I went on a whole foods vegan diet for that ten months which was wonderful for me. I do not eat a gluten free diet, but have considered trying it. I have just recently started adding chicken and fish back into the my diet, with very little dairy to experiment. It's only been 2 and half weeks since I've been off my vegan diet, but if I have any complications I'll go right back on it. I recommend the book "Eating Right for a Bad Gut" by James Scala. It was a very helpful book for me.

I just started a **** the other day about IBD. It will be mostly about food and lifestyle. Check it out: [url]http://www.troublesometummies.********.com/[/url]. I have my IBD story on it and one recipe so far.

Common food sensitivities in IBD people:

(Things that are in caps indicate foods that are best avoided even when your condition is stable)
    • ALCOHOL
    • FULL-FAT DAIRY (for lots of people, no dairy at all, or infrequent, very small amounts)
    • DEEP-FRIED FOODS (a small amount once in a while and prepared at home may be ok.)
    • FATTY MEATS and PROCESSED MEATS (no skin on chicken)
    • CORN (for a lot of people anyway. I can get away with small daily amounts)
    • Raw vegetables (fine when you are stable)
    • Peels on grapes, apples and tomatoes (can handle in small daily amounts when stable. Avoid or peel when unstable)
    • Caffeine
    • Carbonated beverages
    • Spicy foods (definitely buy the extra-mild or mild version. Eating at Indian restaurants is a huge no-no, when a recipe calls for hot spices, try cutting the amount in half and perhaps you can handle that)
    • For some wheat.

I should put that list on my ****

Anyway, hope that helps.

Old 09-22-2006, 01:46 PM   #5
    BlissChick
    (female)

BlissChick HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbar47
    Some other research I've done on my own found that there are a few main contributing factors to developing this:

- Jewish people have an increased predisposition
    - hereditary bowel disorders
    - oral-anal sexual contact and homosexual sex (though this seems to be in dispute, as some people say it can't be passed from sexual contact)
    - latent intolerances to food.
    If I find out more, I'll post it. Hope others will do the same!

Some other possible causes that I have come across in my research is:
    • Too much processed food and animal products in Western diets
    • Were not feed breast milk
    • Take too many antibiotics upsetting the balance of good and bad bacteria
    • Too clean enivornment, in other words, we don't get exposed to anything that will help build our immune system.
    • Immune system does not function properly and is attacking your bowels which casues the inflammation.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:25 PM   #6
    jbar47
    (male)

jbar47 HB User

BlissChick - thank you for the information! My list was just a few things I researched, and some stuff my surgeon told me. I'm hoping to learn more when I start seeing the GI my surgeon referred me to.

I do not have IBS (as fas as I know), and my surgeon said I've probably only had the inflammation in my rectum for maybe 5 months. Based on what you know, do you think this means I will have a good chance of it healing with just some medications? Also, I have had a cyst on my cheek for the last year, and just saw my doctor about it. He said it's a type of infection and gave me antibiotics (amoxicillan) to see if it would shrink, which it did. Do you think the presence of something like that is something that could be throwing my immune system out of whack, as well as the possibility that the antibiotic might have caused the condition to get worse the last few weeks?

Lastly, did your doc do any testing to see if you had any specific food allergies/intolerances that was causing it for you?

Old 09-24-2006, 12:16 PM   #7
    BlissChick
    (female)

BlissChick HB User

As long as you eat a diet that works for you (trough trial and error--keep a specific food diary) and controls your symptoms, in my experince you can lead a normal healthly life. I have bad days now and then, but I can usually blame it on "falling of the wagon" so to speak, either by eating something I know that doesn't agree with me, not getting enough sleep or excerise, or eating too much or too fast. I find I do best when I eat 5 to 6 small meals a day about 3 hours apart. I also eat pretty "light" in the mornings, either some scottish oatmeal and fruit, or a smoothie. Also, I feel best with 8 hours of sleep.

It's possible that the antibiotics could have a had an affect on you. I know when I was a kid I was on antibiotics a lot for tonsillitis. There has been lots of studies that seem to show IBD patients improve when taking probiotics, so you can look into that. But do your research first since not all probiotics are created equal. If you get everything under control you can go into "remission" as the doctors call it, which means you do not have any of the symptoms, which can last for years. It can come and go.

My old doctor that I had for the first two years did not give me any nutrition or diet advice and no allergy testing. So I had to figure out what works for me through trial and error (the elimination diet type of thing). My new doctor, who I've seen twice thinks that I doing great so has never mentioned anything about allergies, I'm just supposed to keep doing what I'm doing since it's working.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:48 PM   #8
    natchimabeauty
    (female)

natchimabeauty HB User

I apparently had chronic proctitis for over 6 months and was not aware of the problem. Symptoms (blood and mucous on stool) only appeared for 2 weeks before I had a colonoscopy and began the suppository medicine.

After 3 days on the meds, my symptoms flared up - I had to run to the bathroom 25 times a day and expelled only mucuos. After 2 days of this nonsense, I called my doctor and was hoping he would tell me that this was a good sign because my body was expelling the problem due to the meds. But, no..... he told me that this was a very bad sign and put me on a different kind of suppository that I took for 2 days (when symptoms began to wane, I quit doing the meds) and I have been symptom free for over 1 month so far.

He also said that my major culprit was CHEESE! - stay away from the dairy. I never was much of a dairy person, but Lord, I love my cheese! I probably developed proctitis due to stress (and I was under major stress!) for the period of 6 months.

I have drastically reduced (not eliminated) cheese from my diet and this may be helping my symptoms disappear.

But you know, proctitis is one of those auto immune diseases that can wax and wane all on their own. Professionals are unsure of the cause and there is no cure.

I have been through all of this before (1-1/2 years ago), when they thought I had MS -- but they have now decided that I had a migraine related stroke. I no longer care, what happened to me during my "attack", but I am glad that the neurontin that was prescribed has made me feel somewhat back to normal.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:49 PM   #9
    chris0007
    (male)

chris0007 HB Userchris0007 HB User

I'm new to this condition, but my PCP thinks I may have it.

Does this give you a transient feeling of anal fullness right around the rim? That's my problem...it comes and goes all day. I know when I was having trouble with my fissure I was using Neosporen for the area, which I believe is an antibiotic cream.

What are the other symptoms of this condition?

Thanks!

Closed Thread