It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Capsule Endoscopy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-16-2006, 12:46 PM   #1
    MFord1206
    (female)

MFord1206 HB User
    Question Capsule Endoscopy

I am scheduled to undergo the capsule endoscopy (pill camera) test on Wednesday. My GI suspects that I have crohn's disease, but every other test I have had done has come back negative. So, he is doing the capsule endoscopy to get a better view of the small intestine. My question is to anyone who's ever had this done, did you have any specific prep to do before the test? My doctor's instruction sheet only says that I need to be on a clear liquid diet on Tuesday, and then NPO after 8pm on Tuesday evening, with no bowel prep necessary.

When the hospital called the other day, the nurse asked me if I had instructions for any prep, and I told her that I was just supposed to do the clear liquid thing the day before. She then told me that she recommended that I do some sort of bowel prep also, to allow the camera to get a clear picture of the small bowel. Her recommendation was to drink a bottle of mag-citrate the night before. I bought a bottle today at the store, and plan on taking it tuesday evening. Has anyone else had this test done, and if so did you have to do a prep?

Thanks!

Megan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
    leah131
    (female)

leah131 HB User
    Re: Capsule Endoscopy

Hi Megan,
    I'm Leah 26 years old. I had a capulse endoscopy done last jan and had to do a prep too. I forgot what the medication was. What are you symptoms? I see my GI doctor on monday. Write Back Soon,
    Take Care
    Leah

Old 09-16-2006, 05:59 PM   #3
    MFord1206
    (female)

MFord1206 HB User

Leah,

I am 20 years old. To make a long story short, here's what's been going on. In March of this year, I began to feel sick. I had a fever, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and extreme fatigue. By the end of March, I was miserable, so my primary care doc put me in the hospital for tests. Spent 8 days there, and ended up having my gallbladder out. Turned out I had cholecystitis. I never felt any better though after the surgery. I've had most of the same symptoms ever since. The main symptoms that I have now are right sided abdominal pain, diarrhea (sometimes bloody), recurrent fever, fatigue, and weight loss.

I have had every test under the sun done. I have had plain ol' xrays, CT scans, MRI's, ultrasounds, a HIDA scan, barium swallow with small bowel follow though, upper GI endoscopy, colonoscopy, tons of blood work, stool analysis, and a hydrogen breath test. So now, we're doing the camera pill. I really hope that my GI finds something, so I can get some sort of treatment to get me feeling back to normal.

What symptoms were you having that prompted your doc to do the capsule endoscopy? What did the doc find?

Good luck on Monday!

Megan

Old 09-16-2006, 06:08 PM   #4
    leah131
    (female)

leah131 HB User

Hi Megan,
    I was having stomach pains,and that was all but now I have more symptoms they are right side pains, sometimes low grade fever bathroom alot everytime I eat something i run to the bathroom and also I am tired all the time too I have had colonoscopy, upper GIs, blood work, stool test etc and they can't seem to find anything either. I never had a CT scan before. Hope you feel better & Write Back Soon
    Leah

Old 09-17-2006, 10:40 AM   #5
    kreats

kreats HB User

@ Megan

I would suggest you contact your doctor and ask him about this.
    Actually using a prep makes sense because if you don't use it and the bowel isn't clean then also the pictures won't be helpful.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:27 PM   #6
    MFord1206
    (female)

MFord1206 HB User

Leah-

How did your appointment go today? What did you find out? Hope everything went well!

Take Care,

Megan

Old 09-18-2006, 06:52 PM   #7
    leah131
    (female)

leah131 HB User

Hi Megan,
    My GI put me on something for IBS and told me that's what I have. He told me there is no more test that he can do he did all the test he could do. I told him about the fevers and he said not to get exicted and that my body was fighting an infection some short. Well I am not happy about today.
    Leah

Old 09-18-2006, 07:05 PM   #8
    MFord1206
    (female)

MFord1206 HB User

Leah-

I'm sorry to hear that you still have no answers. I am surprised that my GI hasn't just told me I have IBS and sent me on my way. Seems like everytime they can't find something definitive going on, they just tell you that's it's IBS. What med did he put you on? Maybe you should get a copy of all your medical records and test results and take them to another GI. Has your doc done a barium swallow small bowel follow through? That would give him a clearer picture of your small bowel if something was going on in there. I am just trying to think of other tests...there are are always more tests that can be done.

Take care, and keep me posted!

Megan

Old 09-20-2006, 05:49 PM   #9
    leah131
    (female)

leah131 HB User

Hi Megan:
    How did the capulse go? What did they find out? Did you do a prep? I never had a small bowell follow. I never had a CT scan either. I called my PCP and ask for another GI to send me someone else. I am not sure if he will do that for me.
    Take Care
    Leah

Old 09-20-2006, 06:50 PM   #10
    MFord1206
    (female)

MFord1206 HB User

Hey Leah,

I went in early this morning and swallowed the capsule, and then spent the day lugging around the computer battery pack thing. I did drink a bottle of mag-citrate last night for a prep. I am hoping that going all day yesterday on a clear liquid diet, and then drinking that stuff, that my bowel was cleaned out enough. Now I just get to wait to pass the capsule...haven't seen it yet!

Didn't get any results yet. The nurse at the hospital told me that my doc would get all of the images within a day or so, but I am sure it will take him time to look at all 50,000 pictures. I go back to see him on October 5th, so hopefully I will find something out then. I really hope he finds something...I am so tired of feeling like this all the time! I know that something is going on with me, and I'd just like to know what it is.

I hope you can find you a new doc. You should push for the small bowel barium test, as it can show narrowing of the small bowel and other abnormalities...a CT would be a good idea too. Try to get copies of all test results and take them to a new doc. Has the new med that your doc put you on helped at all? I have taken several meds (bentyl, librax, etc.) and have had no improvement.

Well, take care and keep me posted!

Megan

Old 09-20-2006, 07:03 PM   #11
    leah131
    (female)

leah131 HB User

Hey Megan:
    I can't take Bentyl because of my other meds that I take. That the only med that my GI doctor gave me then drop off the Bentyl at the pharmacy and they won't refill it because of my other meds. I know there is something going on with me too. I would like someone to find out what it is. What is the small bowel barium test?
    Take Care
    Leah

Old 09-20-2006, 07:11 PM   #12
    MFord1206
    (female)

MFord1206 HB User

Leah,

What meds are you on that the Bentyl interacts with? I know Bentyl contains phenobarbitol, and that can interact with alot of things. The small bowel follow through test is a test where you drink barium, and as you are drinking it, they take x-rays to see it go down the esophagus and into the stomach to see if there's any reflux or upper GI problems. Then after you've drunk it, they take an x-ray every 15-20 minutes or so to follow it through the small bowel to look for strictures, inflammation, etc. The test can take several hours, depending on how your bowel motility is. When I had it done, it took over 8 hours for it to get all the way through my small bowel and into the colon. The only abnormality it showed was gastroesophageal reflux, and delayed transit time through the bowel...thats it..nothing serious.

So when you had the capsule endoscopy, they didn't find anything at all? Hmmm...have you had your gallbladder out? They thought my gallbladder was the problem six months ago when I first got sick, but obviously it wasn't!

Megan

Old 09-20-2006, 07:30 PM   #13
    leah131
    (female)

leah131 HB User

Hi Megan,
    I take heart meds cuz I am a cardic patient. I have a defibrillator. My GI even told me that he send me to the OR and they couldn't find nothing wrong with me. I had laspic surgery. don't know how to spell it. No I haven't had my gall bladder out. They check me out for that I think. I did have my appendix taken out not sure how long it has been. I'm tired all the time too and no I am NOT depressed. When I had my capullse test they though it was crohns but it wasn't.
    Take Care
    Leah

Old 09-21-2006, 10:53 AM   #14
    MFord1206
    (female)

MFord1206 HB User

Leah-

Wow, you're awful young for heart problems. So you did have exploratory surgery? When I had my gallbladder out, the surgeon found a small tumor on my liver, which was benign and extensive endometriosis. I am taking monthly shots to try to control the endo. My GI has wondered if the endo is causing my problems, but I assured him that the pain I am having isn't pelvic pain...I can differentiate between pelvic pain and other abdominal pain...if you know what I mean. I am also always fatigued. My PCP put me on anti-depressants about a year ago, assuming I was depressed, but like you, don't have depression. My GI put me on the antidepressant Elavil in an attempt to stop the abdominal pain and stimulate my appetite..it didn't work. He also suggested several months ago that I speak with a psychologist, adding that I could just be depressed or that this was a psyhosomatic illness (all in my head). When he told me this, I got very upset with him, and then he came back and apologized for "discounting" my symptoms. I think he feels that there is something going on, and that's why he keeps sending me for tests. I don't know...I am just tired of dealing with all of this with no answers!

Megan

Old 09-21-2006, 04:37 PM   #15
    leah131
    (female)

leah131 HB User

Hi Megan,
    Yes I did have explore surgery but they didn't find anything wrong. Hope you can get to the bottom of yours. Hope you are feeling well.
    Leah

Closed Thread