It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Hemorrhoidectomy Blues 2

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
    ericollin
    (female)

ericollin HB User
    Hemorrhoidectomy Blues 2

I have gone back and read much of the "Hemorrhoidectomy Blues" Thread that was posted mostly back in 2003. I was wondering if there are any people out there that could give the same support that the people of that thread gave to each other. I feel alone in my recovery of this surgery. No one seems to understand what kind of healing is required from this surgery. Anyone want to vent about this surgery with me???

Also, where are Tammynoska, Runninggal, SuzyQ0928, and everyone who posted back in 2003 now? How are you all doing 3 years later? It would be nice to know that your rear ends feel completely normal now and that it was all worth it.

Please write and connect with me if you recently had this surgery or had it in the past so we can give each other some support.
    Thanks,
    ericollin

Last edited by ericollin; 12-11-2006 at 08:15 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2006, 03:09 AM   #2
    tom ouch
    (male)

tom ouch HB User
    Re: Hemorrhoidectomy Blues 2

I wish I could give you the encouragement you need,but I have my own issues. It's now nine weeks post op. and I now have my third infection. The doctor said infections are rare.I am back on antibiotics. I,ve been on and off antibiotics since three weeks before my surgery.
    I'm doing much better now than I was one or five weeks after my surgery,at least I,m back to work full time for the last two weeks. I,m still on light duty but at least I have something to help keep my mind off my health issues. The hardest thing about this whole episode is finding info. I believe this site is the best I have found but since we are all different and its hard to pick and relate what pertains to our own cases. Ive gone back and re- read post weeks later and now better understand thing that made no sence to me weeks and months ago. We will get better !

Old 10-31-2006, 08:23 PM   #3
    ericollin
    (female)

ericollin HB User

Tom ouch,
    I am sorry to hear about your infections. I have had infections too but they have been UTI's. I hope you get better soon. It seems that wherever you live, the surgeons give the same poor advice about this surgery and the recovery time needed for it. My surgeon said 2 weeks just like almost every other surgeon I have read posts about. My OB/GYN knew that I was doing this surgery just 8 days after delivering a baby and she should have known to warn me that this surgery was too much while also trying to recover from the birth and taking care of a newborn plus two other young children. Even though I don't sit and work at a desk, taking care of 3 young children full-time is an incredibly hard job when you do not feel good. I have had tremendous help from friends and family though which I am forever grateful for.

I will continue to pray that anyone who has had this surgery will have fast healing.

YES, WE WILL GET BETTER SOON!!!
    ericollin

Last edited by ericollin; 12-11-2006 at 08:16 AM.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:13 AM   #4
    Tammynoska
    Veteran
    (female)

Tammynoska HB User

ericollin, 3 years later my rectum feels normal in that I can pass gas again as I once did prior to the surgery---which means without a second thought. However, because I had to have two hemorrhoidectomies in a row, essentially just a couple weeks apart, the second to correct the botched job of the first, I ended up with permanent anal stricture. What that means for me is I have to use my homemade coco butter suppositories for each bowel movement or I risk getting anal fissures over and over again.

Plus side is I won the war against anal fissures despite doctors telling me there are no cures outside of surgery for anal fissures. Coco butter suppositories completely prevent anal fissures.

Other plus side, no sensation of hemorrhoids, no throbbing painful veins. But I was told by a rectal surgeon only a year after surgery that he saw some small hemorrhoids in my butt. I cannot tell you how much I did not like that news, but I have sworn to avoid the things that probably led me to get the hemorrhoids in the first place, which were heavy weightlifting, sitting too long on the toilet, straining at going to the bathroom. I now religiously using metamucil to get around my chronic constipation, and using a slant board to invert myself after prolonged sitting and undo the gravity effects on my butt veins that could lead to hemorrhoids.

I say it took a complete 2 years to completely heal, and the important turning point for me was when I discovered coco suppositories as that finally let me heal from persistent post surgical fissures I had despite the nitroglycerin and other assorted rx stuff the doctors gave me that failed to heal the recurrent fissures from my stricture.

I learned that most of the rectal surgeons will mince words with you and not tell you that this surgery takes from a year to two years to totally heal, the length depending on any complications you may have had in the surgery as I had.

But, rest assured, the day will come when your butt will no longer be an issue. Where you can hear butt jokes and not cringe or get neurotic, and laugh again.

How do I make my coco butter suppositories? I get sticks of 100 percent cocoa butter from my local pharmacy or online (called the yellow stick), melt two of them in a glass measuring cup in my microwave for 3 minutes so they are liquid. Then I pour them into suppository molds I have prechilled in my freezer and stick the molds into my fridge. In a few hours I will then have 40suppositories that I store in a small container in my fridge.

I have gotten to be a pro at using them and can even insert them standing up in a second and then have a protected lubricated bm that shields me from any fissures and makes the inside of my rectum baby soft...okay a joke, but you have to find the humor somewhere!

So rest assured your blues will be long gone one day and you will be free of the terrible problems you once had with hemorrhoids, even if you end up with anal stricture as I did. Then it is your responsibility to practice good bm habits to make sure you never have to suffer again hemorrhoids.

I figure it took 38 years for mine to start bothering me, so I've got another good 38 years to go. Only this time I won't do any powerlifter heaving squatting I once did that no doubt contributed to my hemorrhoid problems in the first place.

tammynoska

Old 11-05-2006, 05:46 AM   #5
    ericollin
    (female)

ericollin HB User

Tammynoska,
    Thank you so much for posting how you are doing now. I greatly appreciate it. I am not doing well mentally right now with how I am recovering from this surgery. I now have a fissure which is very painful as you know. I am interested in your cocoa butter suppositories. Where did you get a suppository mold? Also, what do you use as a lubricant before you go? Please reply back if you can.
    ericollin

Last edited by ericollin; 12-14-2006 at 05:48 PM.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:49 PM   #6
    mcxl
    (female)

mcxl HB User

Ericollin…

Sorry to hear that you aren’t doing well. I wish I could give you some advice but not knowledgeable enough at this point. Believe it or not, I have been thinking of you and your family a lot lately.

If you need a shoulder to cry on I’m here for you. I seem to have done my share to others lately so now it’s my turn to help.

Take care…Ericollin

mc

Old 11-05-2006, 06:39 PM   #7
    ericollin
    (female)

ericollin HB User

MC,
    First of all, I am glad to hear that you have gotten rid of your impaction. I was really worried about you. I hope things now get better for you soon.

Thank you for your reply. I do need a shoulder to cry on. My husband and my mother are trying to be supportive of me but they just think I should put mind over matter and just move on. It is hard to do that when your butt still hurts 6 weeks after this stupid surgery. I hate that I had this surgery and wish that I had found this message board before I had the surgery because I NEVER would have had the surgery. I wish I could turn back time and choose to NOT have the surgery. I am very worried that I now have a fissure and that is why I am in pain and still bleeding. I don't think that I am going to call my doctor though because he is just a jerk and I know won't help me. I really need to find another doctor who will give me some answers. I am just physically and mentally exhausted. My mom flew in from out of town to help us out because I just don't have the energy to take care of my family right now as I have a 7 week old baby that is still not sleeping through the night. I am hoping that I am doing better by the time she leaves. Please keep me in your prayers as I really need them right now.
    ericollin

Last edited by ericollin; 05-16-2007 at 08:53 PM.

Old 11-05-2006, 10:03 PM   #8
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Ericollin --- I wrote on the other thread about fissures??

Old 11-07-2006, 11:18 AM   #9
    mcxl
    (female)

mcxl HB User

Hello Ericollin…

Sorry…I didn’t forget you. I have had so much to do since Sunday. Yesterday I met with our builder, water, electric, and gas company, tile people, floor…etc. We are so close to being done but yet so many little things to work out.

I also had to go to my daughter’s school yesterday and today. I told her teacher I would help her with some things in the class room yesterday and we had a “so called” field trip today. (It’s raining cats and dogs today.) I hope she doesn’t need me anymore this week because I don’t have the energy to go.

Regarding you…I wish I could be there for you. I know your mother is leaving shortly and I would love to take care of you and your family. I love babies…cooking…cleaning…taking charge. I’m not used to being the one needing things.

Please take care Ericollin and my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

mc

Last edited by mcxl; 12-16-2006 at 01:55 PM.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:36 AM   #10
    ericollin
    (female)

ericollin HB User

MC,
    Thank you for thinking about me. It makes me feel good to read your posts and to know that you understand what I am going through and that you care.

I am not used to being the one who needs things either. I just want to be my old self again. I now feel trapped here in my house because either my butt feels terrible or I am afraid to leave the house because I may need to use the bathroom.

How are you staying so active while recovering from this? How many hemorrhoids did you have removed? I had three cut and stitched. It was such a mistake.

Thank you for caring so much and know that I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers too,
    ericollin

Last edited by ericollin; 12-16-2006 at 07:24 PM.

Old 11-10-2006, 05:55 AM   #11
    mcxl
    (female)

mcxl HB User

Hi Ericollin

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you but things have been pretty crazy around here. I spoke with our builder yesterday and hope to get an occupancy permit next week. If that happens, we will be moving Thanksgiving weekend. (Guess I won’t be cooking!!!)

To add to our chaos my husband went to work Wednesday morning and was told by his NEW branch manager that he had to let four of his employees go. After that, the branch manager let my husband go. So…this didn’t make for a very good evening.

I loved reading your last post to me because I lived in Lake County Indiana for many years. Plus…I also went to Purdue University in West Lafayette. Never did finish because I ran out of money but I did land a great job after school and retired a V.P.

Earlier you asked about my family. I only have one living child and what a little P.I.B. (Pain in butt!!!) Would not trade her for anything. She was my miracle baby. I’ve given birth to three between 24 and 26 weeks but none of the babies survived. Lost another three in my first trimester and another one because of an umbilical cord strangulation. Sorry if TMI but I think this is where my hemorrhoids came from.

When I had my drive-thru surgery I had three external and two internal hemorrhoids. They bothered me now and then but I don’t think I was to the point of needing surgery.

I went to a walk-in clinic about a year ago because I had one that got huge and hurt bad but wasn’t able to get into a surgeon for over a week. It went down and I said forget it. They flared up on me again about two months ago so I went to see my usual family doctor this time to get some meds. He felt I should just get them taken care of and sent me to the doctor that did his.

Next thing I knew I was having a colonoscopy one day and surgery the next. Didn’t think much about it because he told me up front that I would have some discomfort but should be back to normal in a couple of weeks. I’m thinking he wasn’t totally honest.

The rest is pretty much history on this board. Couldn’t pass gas, pee or poop and ended up in the E.R. Now I can’t hold back my gas and when I have to go, I have to go NOW! I'm starting to think that I have lost all muscle control down there. Oh well. Just have to keep going because I don’t have time to be down. (Today I have crowd control at school for my daughters Thanksgiving meal.)

Need to run but please take care and hope things are going better for you.

mc

Old 11-10-2006, 06:31 AM   #12
    ericollin
    (female)

ericollin HB User

Hi MC,
    Thank you so much again for your reply. Your new house sounds like it is going to be real nice.

I am still really mad that I had this surgery. I am so mad that the surgeon who did my hemorrhoid surgery did not say anything about waiting at least 6 weeks before having them removed. My OB's office sent me to this surgeon so why didn't they tell me to go and see him but please wait 6 weeks before having anything done. I feel like my whole lower body needs to be rebuilt.

I do need to try and focus on the positive which has been very hard for me right now. From all this trouble I do have my beautiful children. MC, you seem to be SO positive and strong even through all your troubles that is why I love writing back and forth with you. Please keep writing when you have the chance.

WE WILL FEEL BETTER SOON!!!!
    Ericollin

Last edited by ericollin; 12-14-2006 at 05:51 PM.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:07 AM   #13
    mcxl
    (female)

mcxl HB User

Hey Ericollin

I do love reading your posts also. I’ve learned a lot from what you, Harry and many others have discussed.

When you were telling me about getting your second opinion, your new doctor said something I had thought from the beginning. You have enough issues down there after birth, why add any more. You hurt, you’re stretched, your hormones are waaay out of whack and you have major hemorrhoids after giving birth. I give you credit for even thinking about it.

I wish I could give you more encouragement this evening but I just can’t. I’m starting to think I may need to change sights for my posts.

You commented on my positive outlook earlier but it is starting to get to me. Earlier I had told you that I think my hemorrhoids came about because of my many pregnancies. Well, the last one I had before my daughter was born would have been eight years old on November 3. I still can’t forget. I miss him very much because I had just lost my father less than three months prior because of an auto accident.

Today I’m starting to just get tired. Between the house, my husband’s recent unemployment, loss of insurance and my aching butt I don’t know what I should do. The only thing I have to look forward to is seeing my colon and rectal surgeon on Wednesday. This will be the first time since my surgery. (Four weeks!!!!!)

I have so many questions for him. First and foremost why did he tell me I would feel fine in two weeks! From there, why did I have and still do have so many problems with BMs? I still fear going to the bathroom because of the discomfort.

I could keep going but I guess I’m getting tired of @*&#$ing to you this evening. What I should be doing is seeing how you are feeling. That leads me to see if you have seen your physical therapist yet? If so…please tell me about your exercises. I will do anything at this point to strengthen my butt muscles so I can just get on with my life.

Please take care and I will keep you and your family in my prayers this evening.

mc

Last edited by mcxl; 12-16-2006 at 01:59 PM.

Old 11-11-2006, 07:12 AM   #14
    ericollin
    (female)

ericollin HB User

MC,
    I am sorry you are not doing well. I am not doing well either. I did not have a BM yesterday which was okay. I thought it actually might be good so that that area would have more time to heal without the BM trauma. Well, I had a BM this morning and I still have blood and burning. This is so frustrating. Let me tell you the regret about having the hemorrhoid surgery keeps growing and growing by the day. There is absolutely NO WAY I should have had that surgery so soon after giving birth. I just figured that if I was healing on the front end why not have the back end taken care of then too. The surgeon was willing to do the surgery (which leads me to believe that all he really is concerned about is $ $ $.) I had family around for 2 weeks and I had the notion (from the *&#@*%$ surgeon) that I would be completely healed in 2 weeks. The surgeon gave me such poor pre-op and post-op directions (like you said, basically I had a drive-thru surgery) that I was almost impacted which is not a good thing.

I am trying to stay positive but every time I go to the bathroom I worry about the act of going and the outcome. I know, this is probably TMI but I cannot stop worrying. I am a worrier by nature and all these health problems of mine have really thrown me into a constant worry-mode.

I am also seeing a new colorectal surgeon (not the one who did the surgery) on Monday afternoon. I want to get his opinion on my healing back there. And ask him why I am still bleeding and having so much pain and burning during a BM. I just want to be healed and normal.

Please take care too and I will keep you and your family in my prayers too.
    Ericollin

Last edited by ericollin; 12-14-2006 at 05:52 PM.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:57 AM   #15
    Mariley
    (female)

Mariley HB User

I tried to submit a post yesterday but it seems to be rejected. Anyway,I had a hemorroidectomy on 23 September 2006. I am in the Military and the operation was done in a Military hospital. I got up to go to the bathroom (right away) about 5 times right after the surgery because I kept having the urge to go. Whatever the doc put inside me came out and I was bleeding somewhat but I did not say anything because my stomach was upset and I did not want them to make me more sore at the time by putting another gauze etc. back in! They gave me a liquid diet in the hospital (soup/gelatin etc.) They told me that once I got home I could eat other food but if I felt really bad/painful to go back to the liquid diet. (Which I have not seen anyone post at all for this problem!) (There are also liquid vitamins and liquid iron too!).
    The doctor gave me percocet and valium to take. They also had me taking antibiotics for the first 10 days. It is important to take these and not to miss any doses! (or you may find yourself with an infection!) He told me to start taking as warm baths as I could stand as soon as possible several times a day. I was worried about the bleeding problem too but I think you are going to bleed somewhat anyway, so the baths really help a lot! (Don't listen to those people that tell you not to take them unless you are positivly hemmorraging and I mean bleeding massively!) I have been taking them about 2 to 5 times a day. Several times I took them at night when I was in pretty bad pain and fell asleep in the bathtub. (I have a "thing" that is made for the tub to rest your neck on and it keeps you from slipping down into the tub!)
    I decided to get the general anesthesia and I was sick so they kept me over night (instead of going home right away). I did go pee twice that night with no major problems/pain (I did not push in the back region at the time!) The day after that I called my Platoon Sergeant to have him take me to the hospital (at five o'clock in the morning) because I was throwing up. I stayed a few hours (I was the only one in the waiting room when I got there, amazingly enough plus I started throwing up as soon as I came in the door. Luckily I had brought a bag with me!) and then they sent me home with some medication to calm my stomach. I My first few BM's (in particular) felt like I was going to have a baby but I squatted and I finally went. The doctor told me if I needed to, to go to the bathroom in the tub but I found it utterly disgusting and could not do so! (If that was the last resort I would have had to but thankfully, so far, have not had to!) My doctor did not give me any stool softener (amazingly enough) so I went and bought some. I am on 30ty days convalescent leave and I live alone. My aunt and cousin live nearby and do not drive so I have driven (quite a few times) to the store etc. They also did not come to the house after the operation but I was able to manage on my own! (thankfully!) I find that I am getting a pain down my right leg (in particular) after I go which comes when my bu-- is aching and seems to go away when my bu-- isn't as sore. I am wondering if it is a nerve or something about the position I was in during the operation etc. I also find that getting up and walking around (in the back yard) and down the street actually seems to help me a lot! (amazingly enough) but being in the Military I was always very active anyway. Today, (13 Nov) I went back to the clinic to get some more pain medication because I just ran out. I was also told that I would only be sore for a few days and then be ok. I did the liquid diet for the 3rd and 4th day that I was home. The 5th through 7th day I had some milk and chocolate which made my stools very loose but it was MUCH better than having a hard time going! I have been standing up to go (Squatting) as well as wadding up a ball of Toilet paper and push (not too hard but somewhat firm) into my front region when I go and it also seems to help. I also try to push with my abdominal muscles and try not to use the muscles down lower as much unless the BM is right there. I have been reading that people in countries who squat have very little problems with hemmorroids. When I was in Afghanistan I always squatted because the bathroom was so nasty and I never had any problems there. (Although I have had hemorroids since my children were born over 20ty years ago!) In some parts of Korea the bathroom was a hole in the ground so you had to squat. The reason I went and got the hemorroidectomy is that I have been bleeding more and more (starting this year) and I had bleed pretty bad for 5 days before I went into the clinic and had the operation scheduled.
    One thing that I think though is that the doctor did not take enough of one of the veins out because it is right in the way and that I might have more issues (have to get another operation or something else done).

Last edited by Mariley; 11-21-2006 at 06:50 PM.

Closed Thread