It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Four year old severely constipated

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-21-2006, 04:17 PM   #1
    Mom22greatkids
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mom22greatkids HB User
    Four year old severely constipated

My daughter has been having constipation issues for about 1.5 years now. It has been getting progressively worse. She was prescribed Mirilax and has been taking it as needed for months now. I have read a few posts on here saying that Mirilax is not safe to use all the time but her doctor assures me that it is. Now the constipation is out of control and I don't know what else to do. The most recent episode started about 1.5 weeks ago. She had not had a bm for about 4 days. She stopped eating. She would not eat any solid foods but she did manage to stay hydrated. I took her to the walk in clinic on Sun. They were no help-said to give her popsicles and milk of magnesia. She would not do either. On Mon. I took her to her pediatrician. He felt a bunch of stool in her abdomen, said she was very full and could even feel it by her appendix which apparently was not normal to feel it there. Said to increase the dose of Mirilax an she will eventually get her appetite back when she goes. I took her to the E.R. out of desperation on Tues. evening. They too felt a bunch of stool. He did an exam and said that there was not any stool right there ready to come out, It was further up in her intestines. He did not feel the need to do an x-ray. He gave her a script for Lactulose and she has been taking 1 tablespoon per day along with whatever water she will drink with the Mirilax. When she goes, she goes little bits at a time, mostly diarreah right now. When it is solid it is flat and ribbon like which worries me. Her appetite has increased within the last day or so and has just started eating some solid food. Before all she would eat was yogurt, ice cream and Pediasure. I'm very worried about her and what could be wrong with her. And if I'm doing the right thing with the Mirilax and Lactulose. Someone on here before said Mirilax can make you more constipated. I made an appointment with a g.i. doctor but can't get in until December. I need some thoughts on what I should be doing and what might be causing this. I forgot to say, she is a master at holding in her stool (due to fissures and pain in the past), which I think may have contributed to this problem. I would appreciate any thoughts on this situation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2006, 06:29 PM   #2
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User
    Re: Four year old severely constipated

You're doing the right thing by getting her into a GI. Too bad they couldn't get her in sooner. I'm not familiar with the medications she is on but I know using laxatives all the time can cause bowel dependancy. I can understand her not wanting to use her bowels if she has experienced the pain of fissures, etc. I'm wondering if she maybe has a partial blockage and that is why she is experiencing thin stools and diarrhea. I think the doc at the ER should have taken an x-ray to check for that. If things don't get any better in the next day or two I would take her back to the ER to check for a blockage. Is she vomitting or complaining of nausea at all?

Old 10-22-2006, 02:28 PM   #3
    Mom22greatkids
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Thanks for your reply. I wish they did take an x-ray. If she has a blockage, what is usually done for it? She was feeling nauseous and trying to throw up last week on those days when I was taking her to doctors. I told them but they didn't say much about it. She is feeling fine now, running around and playing. She is eating more now. Just still not having many bowel movements. She's burping a lot too and says when she swallows it makes her cough.

Last edited by Mom22greatkids; 10-22-2006 at 02:30 PM.

Old 10-22-2006, 03:02 PM   #4
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User

That does sound like a possible blockage too me but I'm not a doctor. If it is it depends how bad is it as to what they do. Sometimes it requires surgery and sometimes they just wait to see if it moves on its own. It sounds like maybe she is doing a bit better now? If she stops eating, becomes nauseaous and vomitting again I would take her straight to the ER. Good luck and let us know how she is doing.

Old 10-22-2006, 05:07 PM   #5
    HopefullMom
    (female)

HopefullMom HB User

Hi. My 4yold son was dx with indeterminent colitis this summer. In all my reading an imflammation can cause both constipation or diarrhea. You are on the right track with the GI doctor but your pediatrition could do a CBC to see if there is signs of immflamation (elevated sed rate) and a stool sample for parasites. My son had diarrhea not constipation but I would consider doing a herbal parasite cleanse. Check your phone book for a health food store. Not GNC but something smaller where the employees know something about what they sell. There should be one designed for children. [ REMOVED ] His stools have been normal since doing this even thought his stool sample did not show parasites. They can be missed. Basically it has herbs that get the bowels moving and ones that can kill parasites and their eggs if they exist. There is not any harm in it and it may help things before you see the GI doctor. Also I was able to add benefiber in my childs milk without him knowing. Of course if your child is in a lot of pain your ped. call call the GI doc and get you seen sooner.

Best of Luck. It is the worst when your child is in pain.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-22-2006 at 08:11 PM.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:03 AM   #6
    angelique5
    (female)

angelique5 HB User

Have they ruled out HIRSCHSPRUNG'S DISEASE? or even explored that with you????

Old 10-23-2006, 07:51 AM   #7
    Mom22greatkids
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

This morning she is back to drinking just Pediasure. She tried to eat but couldn't. She felt like she had to go this morning and tried but nothing came out. I'm going to give it until this aft. or tomorrow morning and call again. Good idea about doing a blood work-up. No, Hirschsprungs has not been explored. The doctors are treating this like it is normal and not doing anything! It's so frustrating.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:08 AM   #8
    angelique5
    (female)

angelique5 HB User

Have you looked up Hirschsprung's Disease, or psuedo obstruction? Many Ped's really don't know much about it...if you're seeing a GI, that's definately a good start!! I would suggest reading about it a lil, and deciding if you feel you child's symptoms sound similar... many parents have to FIGHT to get doctors to rule out Hirschsprung's.

My 13 yr old son has it...but, it was very evident there was a problem after birth, because he could not have a BM at all...however, the majority of babies with hirschsprung's just present with constipation. Many parents say it started with the introduction of solid foods, etc. There are many children who don't get diagnosed until 3, or 4, or 5...I even know of one who was a TEEN before they were diagnosed!!! I cannot fathom those kids having to wait so many years for a diagnosis!

Good luck!

Old 10-23-2006, 01:44 PM   #9
    Mom22greatkids
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Thanks. I will keep that in mind. I looked up the symptoms and she has never been anemic when they did the finger stick in the doctors office. She has also never had abdominal bloating or swelling. I will definitely ask about it though. She was never constipated as a baby. It all started when she stopped nursing at around two years old.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:09 AM   #10
    linzee311
    (female)

linzee311 HB User

Hi,
    I have had this problem with my 8 year old daughter. It gets so bad she gets reflux and bad stomach pain with nausea. I took her to the ER last night and they did an X ray which showed that she is Full of poop in the top part. The problem is its not coming down. He called it sluggish bowel. Its been causing her misery. She is on a pretty strong laxative but I dont know if that will help or how long shes going to have to stay on it. The doc says lots of fluids and fiber. We'll see. Good luck,I know how you feel.

Old 10-31-2006, 11:34 AM   #11
    Mom22greatkids
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Thanks Linzee. Has your dd always been that way? I think my daughter also has reflux. She is still not eating any solid foods. She will drink Pediasure, yogurt, and ice cream. She tied to eat a cheese nip last night and she took tiny little bites and was gagging when trying to swallow it. She ate about half of it. She also chews liquids. I called the gi dept. back and they said I can bring her in tomorrow to see the nurse practitioner. Hopefully she or he will be able to help.

Closed Thread