It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Prune Juice and water/mineral loss

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-20-2007, 11:54 PM   #1
    mysticohl
    Inactive
    (female)

mysticohl HB User
    Prune Juice and water/mineral loss

I have had constipation problems my whole life. In the last 6 years or so, I started eating prunes to help. That did, but I had to eat up to 12 to do anything. So I started drinking prune juice. Boy, that really helped kick my bowels into gear. So everyday I would drink my approx. 12 ounces of prune juice before dinner. I wouldn't be able to eat much at that time, but would eat some, then do my "pooping time" for a few hours (on and off) and then go eat more.

The prune juice would clean my system out completely and I would feel emptied and relieved! I would do this from Sunday night to Thursday night, but not Friday or Saturday. Give myself and my bowels a break.

A few weeks ago my lower legs started aching; especially when I would lay down or was inactive. I started looking online to see what might be out there on it. Threads here and there would say the cause could be magnesium or calcium or potassium loss. I started wondering if my "pooping time" could be the cause. And that would be bad, because I can't do my "PT" unless I take my prune juice generally. And if I take less of it, then I just get gassy and nothing really happens.

My question is if anyone else is having these type of issues...using prune juice on a daily basis, and wondering about mineral or water loss? A LOT of water comes out in "PT" (pooping time) but I also drink about 60 ounces of water while I am doing it to take in lost water. But could I be losing vital minerals and vitamins? I mean, would it really affect me that much?

On a side note, I take multi-vitamins and 1500 mgs. of Vitamin C, and about 500-1,000mgs of calcium a day. Sometimes I take some FiberChoice too and I do take some flaxseed in my Thera Tears gel tabs and Naturally More peanut butter (which rocks, btw). Plus the prune juice is teeming with magnesium, potassium and a host of other vitamins. I am hoping they are absorbed before the pooping starts.

I am just scared that by having to use prune juice to go could be dangerous. I know it's not like laxatives. I know it's not like that. I hope not, because I have to do it. My Dr., which doesn't appear that bright but charges $88 a visit if I ask questions, said as he was walking out the door and into the hallway, that it would be ok to keep using my prune juice and my leg aches are just leg cramps.....ok, well, what is causing the leg cramps?! GRR!

I know.....I worry too much......about health. I want to believe that I am perfectly fine.

Btw, I tried Zelnorm twice last weekend and it really scared me. What they didn't tell me, is that it will not be approved in Europe. It has dangerous side effects, and could mess with your blood pressure. I was all panicked and called the ER about it, about to lose my mind with worry. I don't like meds anyway....except for my Xanax and Inderal.

Thank you for any help you could give me on this to help ease my anxiety on my poopin' dilemma.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
    Busygirl
    (female)

Busygirl HB User
    Re: Prune Juice and water/mineral loss

Hmm. Lots of things going on. I'll only talk about two.

Get a second opinion from a different doctor.

Side note on magnesium.
    Calcium needs magnesium to get into the cells. If calcium is taken without adequate magnesium the calcium will pull magnesium out of the body, depleting the body's stores of magnesium.

Magnesium also works well to help with bowel movements. Some forms of magnesium are more easily absorbed by the body than others.
    If you want a magnesium that absorbs quickly, go to your health food store and ask for a powdered magnesium. These mix very easily and quickly in a glass of water and there is no "taste" to them.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
    mysticohl
    Inactive
    (female)

mysticohl HB User

Thank you for your input! I was wondering though, if the magnesium in the prune juice, daily food intake, and multi-vitamins would be enough to sustain me and my poopin' habits, etc.? I read that we aren't supposed to take too much magnesium if we really don't need to. ?

Old 04-05-2007, 11:25 PM   #4
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I don't think it is a good idea to only drink pruce juice for BMs. Your diet should be more balanced with enough water ( 6 to 8 glasses daily) and exercise.

There are 2 juices that are not oxidized by your digestive system -- prune juice and cranberry juice -- The reason that pruce juice and prunes work for BMs is it goes through your intestines almost unchanged.

To have normal BMs a person needs fiber -- 25 to 35 grams daily--- a combination of both insoluble fiber that causes intestinal muscle contractions that move digested food through your intestines and soluble fiber that bulks up your stool so it cleans out your intestines!!

I wrote a Post on Normal BMs in the Sticky Thread at the top of this Page-- in the Information Acrhive -- it is the last post on that thread -- I suggest you read it.

BTW---Zelnorm was taken off the market by Norvartis on 3/30/ 2007 (last Friday) at the request of the FDA-- because in some people it causes chest problems, heart attacks and strokes.
    If you have any Zelnorm left -- Norvatis will refund your money through your drug store.

Harry

Closed Thread