It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Bowel Disorders Message Board

  • Severe Constipation 20+ years - finally solved!

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 04-13-2007, 01:04 AM   #1
    Keith76
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    Keith76's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2007
    Location: England
    Posts: 4
    Keith76 HB User
    Lightbulb Severe Constipation 20+ years - finally solved!

    Hi all,

    I used this forum during my worst times for advice\guidance and a little comfort that I was not the only one suffering.

    I have been going to the Doctors for 20+ years with bm problems and they tried everything from fibre drinks, stool softeners, laxatives and god knows what else even anti-depressants (which I did not take).

    My symptoms were:

    No BMs until prompted by prune juice, coffee and senna laxatives, of course I could not do this on a work day so this reduced me to bm on weekends only, this in turn consumed my life where I did not leave the house on weekends to only focus on BMs.

    Towards the end of the week my stomach was like a basketball and I could hardly move and had very bad difficulty sleeping due to discomfort and pain. I would starve myself at the end of the week to prevent more bloating. Life was hell for me and my family and it was not happy times.

    I invested cash to see a private specialist (through BUPA), the consultant was very thorough and asked me to take 20 odd plastic tablets and to have an x-ray 5 days later, a week later I received a letter and he thought I had a slow transit. He advised me to take Normacol+ (Sterculia - an over the counter item) after taking this for a month I feel normal and have never ever ever had bm so easy and normal! I even have an appetite again!

    This leaves me wondering why a GP couldn’t suggest this and have solved my problem years ago.

    If you share similar symptoms it may be worth you talking with your GP about checking for slow transit and taking Normacol+ (Sterculia) or something similar.

    It is extremely important to read the product leaflet thoroughly before taking.

    I wish you luck and can only say there is hope through persistence.

    --------------------------------------------
    Posting commericial information on medicines is not allowed.
    Read the Posting Policy.

    moderator4

    Last edited by moderator4; 04-13-2007 at 08:44 PM.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 04-14-2007, 08:43 AM   #2
    Chriscross
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Chriscross's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2006
    Location: Western Michigan
    Posts: 9
    Chriscross HB User
    Re: Severe Constipation 20+ years - finally solved!

    VEry helpful info. I have a few questions. Did you also have diarhea occassionaly with your IBS? and when you finally did go after being "plugged-up" for a week was the stool hard or like toothpaste consistency. (Sorry for the graphics but I don't know how else to word). I will not have a b/m for 10 to 14 days sometimes, but I am ususally not constipated with hard stool. Just wondering because I am going to a GI in few weeks. Trying to get some answers because this is also consuming my life. Thanks!!!

     
    Old 04-15-2007, 02:02 AM   #3
    Keith76
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    Keith76's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2007
    Location: England
    Posts: 4
    Keith76 HB User
    Re: Severe Constipation 20+ years - finally solved!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chriscross View Post
    VEry helpful info. I have a few questions. Did you also have diarhea occassionaly with your IBS? and when you finally did go after being "plugged-up" for a week was the stool hard or like toothpaste consistency. (Sorry for the graphics but I don't know how else to word). I will not have a b/m for 10 to 14 days sometimes, but I am ususally not constipated with hard stool. Just wondering because I am going to a GI in few weeks. Trying to get some answers because this is also consuming my life. Thanks!!!
    Hi, it really varied, graphic descriptions ahead:

    At the start it would be little balls and then getting bigger then would have a full or striped motion which could be hard or of a toothpaste texture. It really did vary the prune juice softened it up and made it easier but would end up with diarrhoea (to almost pure liquid) after several bm in one day.

    The Normacol is excellent for me, my motions are normal easy to pass and it really has turned my life around. I wish you luck and hope you have a good GI who will listen to you and find what’s causing your problems.

    Good luck

     
    Old 04-16-2007, 06:20 AM   #4
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    vickie45's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Location: logansport ,indiana usa
    Posts: 880
    vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
    Question Re: Severe Constipation 20+ years - finally solved!

    hi i too suffer from constipation my dr told me i have Diverticulitis ,is that about the same thing your talking about ?i get both diarea and constipation i have been on all kinds of fiber stuff zelnorm ,benafiber,and now metamucil but none really help for very long .my dr found this when he done a catscan on me .so should i tell my dr about this and do you think it will help im 44 now and this all started when i was like 35 ,and yes my stomach hurts alot from this .
    thanks vickie

     
    Old 04-17-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
    Keith76
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    Keith76's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2007
    Location: England
    Posts: 4
    Keith76 HB User
    Re: Severe Constipation 20+ years - finally solved!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vickie45 View Post
    hi i too suffer from constipation my dr told me i have Diverticulitis ,is that about the same thing your talking about ?i get both diarea and constipation i have been on all kinds of fiber stuff zelnorm ,benafiber,and now metamucil but none really help for very long .my dr found this when he done a catscan on me .so should i tell my dr about this and do you think it will help im 44 now and this all started when i was like 35 ,and yes my stomach hurts alot from this .
    thanks vickie
    Hi, I am not sure to be honest as mine was just described 'slow transit of the gut' and the normacol I am taking has given me bm almost daily very easily too, however I only had diarrhoea due to the prune juice making my bowels move quickly, had I not have taken the juice my bm would have been hard. It would certainly be worth talking to your Dr about normacol but it may not be correct for your symptons? Worth asking though, let me know how you get on.

    I wish you luck and keep going to the Drs eventually you will see someone who knows the conditions well, I saw a a specialist in Gastroenterology, this was well worth paying for.

    Keith

     
    Old 04-22-2007, 09:39 AM   #6
    jancann
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    jancann's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2007
    Location: Fort Walton Beach FL U.S.
    Posts: 1
    jancann HB User
    Re: Severe Constipation 20+ years - finally solved!

    Keith, I truly appreciate you sharing your experience
    with constipation. I can relate, believe me. I have a
    couple of questions, one for you, the other for anyone
    who has the answer. Is the Normacol & Sterculia one
    the same, or are they two different OTC aids? I don't
    think I have ever seen either in NW Florida, so if you
    could tell me where I could locate it, I would appreciate it.

    Next question, does anyone know if MiraLax can be
    purchased in larger quanities than 8.3 oz? My husband &
    I both suffer from IB/Diverticulosis, & it doesn't last long
    for two people. Thanks for such a wonderful message
    board.
    jancann

     
    Old 06-19-2007, 10:25 PM   #7
    mysticohl
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Posts: 41
    mysticohl HB User
    Re: Severe Constipation 20+ years - finally solved!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jancann View Post
    Keith, I truly appreciate you sharing your experience
    with constipation. I can relate, believe me. I have a
    couple of questions, one for you, the other for anyone
    who has the answer. Is the Normacol & Sterculia one
    the same, or are they two different OTC aids? I don't
    think I have ever seen either in NW Florida, so if you
    could tell me where I could locate it, I would appreciate it.

    Next question, does anyone know if MiraLax can be
    purchased in larger quanities than 8.3 oz? My husband &
    I both suffer from IB/Diverticulosis, & it doesn't last long
    for two people. Thanks for such a wonderful message
    board.
    jancann


    I too am curious about where you get this and are the two names you mentioned the same, but one generic? I also have to use prune juice to go and it's always liquid and have to go several times when I do it. I was using prune juice every night except weekends, but now 3 times a week, because I am concerned about nutrient loss. I sure wish I could go regularly.

    I can relate to the pain too. The bloating of not going, AND the prune juice bloat. It works but the gas is pretty bad.

    The abdominal pains of not going and then my body feeling like it wants to go but won't hurts.

    So yea, where do you get this stuff, is it natural, is it considered a laxative and is it all one name? Thank you for your info!

    I have to go now...prune juice kicking in.

     
    Old 06-20-2007, 08:12 AM   #8
    Paula 59
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Paula 59's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2007
    Location: Bone Gap, IL US
    Posts: 6
    Paula 59 HB User
    Re: Severe Constipation 20+ years - finally solved!

    Hello jancann! My dr has me on Polyethylene Glycol 3350 it is generic for Miralax Power and I think it is twice the size of Miralax. The bottle states that it is 527 gram. You do have to have a prescription for it. I dug out my receipt and total cost is around $30.00 without insurance.
    Paula

     
    Old 06-20-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
    Keith76
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    Keith76's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2007
    Location: England
    Posts: 4
    Keith76 HB User
    Re: Severe Constipation 20+ years - finally solved!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mysticohl View Post
    I too am curious about where you get this and are the two names you mentioned the same, but one generic? I also have to use prune juice to go and it's always liquid and have to go several times when I do it. I was using prune juice every night except weekends, but now 3 times a week, because I am concerned about nutrient loss. I sure wish I could go regularly.

    I can relate to the pain too. The bloating of not going, AND the prune juice bloat. It works but the gas is pretty bad.

    The abdominal pains of not going and then my body feeling like it wants to go but won't hurts.

    So yea, where do you get this stuff, is it natural, is it considered a laxative and is it all one name? Thank you for your info!

    I have to go now...prune juice kicking in.
    Hi, yes both are the same product, it appears that its hard to find in the US, I did post some links but my post was removed, The granules contain 62% Sterculia BP and 8% Frangula BPC. Sterculia is a vegetable gum from the karaya tree, and frangula comes from the alder buckthorn plant and is a ntural product.

    I totally understand the pain you are going through as I have been there, I do hope your Dr can offer advice, I found this stuff excellent but seems its Europe and Canada. I wish you luck a search on some websites though and you should be able to find information on the product.

    Not sure why this site has a fear of links as if its from the manufacture it provides accurate information to those interested this site seems to have become over restrictive.

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Need Help with Severe Constipation!!! MarianJ Bowel Disorders 13 05-07-2011 05:02 PM
    Severe Prolapses in Rectal, Bladder & Vaginal Compartments/Rectocele and Cystoceles tonsils suck Cancer: Bladder 3 12-09-2010 03:00 AM
    severe constipation / celiac disease blueskythinking Celiac Disease 1 12-07-2009 07:03 PM
    constipation, pain meds, suggestions tonight please sophie56 Pain Management 18 05-24-2009 07:35 PM
    Severe depression totally gone- it comes and goes every 5 years- is this normal? Titanic Explore Depression 8 01-29-2008 11:35 AM
    Constipation, Gas & Fecal Incontinence? Caring4you Incontinence 2 08-04-2006 11:57 AM
    Severe Insomnia!!! And On Ambien! Still Can't Sleep.. Help!!!! TexasWildRose04 Back Problems 27 09-28-2005 07:47 AM
    Constipation, fatigue, bloating and flautulence. Jess75 Nutritional Disorders 5 06-21-2005 05:05 PM
    Constipation Causing Severe Pain julbox Women's Health 6 03-08-2004 07:58 AM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:20 PM.





    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!