HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Bowel Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/bowel-disorders/)
-   -   Harry, a question about fiber (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/bowel-disorders/495989-harry-question-about-fiber.html)

Jou Jou 05-03-2007 11:07 AM

Harry, a question about fiber

Hello Harry,

I have read many of your posts, including the sticky information archive thread. You seem to be quite informed about the role of fiber, so I hope that you can answer a question for me. I am struggling with bowel incontinence despite my recent surgery to correct same. At first, I thought the surgery was a success, but as I return to my regular diet and activites, the problem has returned. I am tracking my fiber and fluid intake.

How immediate is the effect of fiber intake on elimination? If I have poor fiber intake one day, does the effect show up that day, the next, the next week? Or, if I increase my fiber intake, how long should it take before the effect can be seen? I have never seen this specific information in any of the websites I have visited. I would greatly appreciate any information or guidance you can provide. Thank you, JJ

Harry 05-04-2007 12:04 AM

Re: Harry, a question about fiber

JJ,

I am sorry you are having such a problem with your BMs. I have followed your recovery since your surgery in mid- March. I have read all your posts.

Food along with fiber generally passes through your intestines in about 24 hours. But, this is also determined by your diet and the type fiber you intake -- we are all different but that is what happens with me.
Soluble fiber slows your intestines and insoluble fiber speeds the intestines up.

I read that you try to get most of your fiber in the morning and I don't think that is very good because it's mostly insoluble fiber. And, too much insoluble fiber will cause loose stools with too much fluid.

I know that you are a small person and I think you should try to intake about 20 grams of fiber daily along with about 6 glasses of water daily.

As you know there are soluble and insoluble types of fiber and you need a combination of both for a normal BMs and I know your surgery had made you a very special person when it comes to BMs.

The Fiber 1 and raisin brand cereals that you eat are mostly insoluble fiber and cause you to have looser stools than the water soluble fiber. That is what I think is causing stool incontenance with you.
Natrual soluble fiber does breakdown with digestion -- it ferments and causes gas -- so when taking it try to be consistant --daily so your intestine can get use to it and as it does the gas will go away. This 1 day enough fiber and the next day low on fiber will result in too much gas.

Soluble fiber absorbs fluids and is a stool bulking agent. When the fluid is absorbed by soluble fiber -- your colon don't give it up readly.
SO, I think you need more soluble fiber in your diet but if you need the urge to go but don't have it then I think the Activia yogurt will help because it does not work on like fiber but contains no fiber but a probiotic supplement that Dannon adds to the yogurt --Bulgaris Regulitis-- they call it.

Several things I don't recall in your posts--- what is your daily diet like and is your surgery incision healed OK now or just so--so??

JJ---I wish you well.

God Bless---Harry

Jou Jou 05-04-2007 10:07 AM

Re: Harry, a question about fiber

Harry,

Thank you for your very helpful reply. I am not sure the proportion of soluble vs. insoluble fiber that I am getting, but the overall amount for the past week ranges from 18 to 29 gm, averaging about 20 gm. Before the incontinence returned, I had gotten complacent for about a week, during which my fiber intake went down considerably. However, for over a week, I have been more vigilant, which is why I am confused about why the stool consistency (soft but not loose) hasn't seemed to have changed.

You are right that I am small, and it sometimes seems impossible to eat enough to get the fiber in. Although I prefer to meet my nutrition needs with food, I am resigned to using a fiber supplement. I think I will increase the amount to see if that helps with "bulk". Besides the high fiber breakfast cereals, I include fruit and vegetables daily, and my fluid intake is more than adequate. Of course, my favorite foods are not so high in fiber, but I don't seem to have much room for them. I have recently added a probiotic supplement just to see if it has any positive effect.

Thankfully, the urge to go and my ability to respond to it seem to have improved; I feel quite normal in that respect, now. Also, my wound is very sore, but healing nicely. There is some troublesome scar tissue and the whole area is still painful, but I think it is on track. Thank you for your well wishes and good suggestions. I am going to try to improve my intake of soluble fiber, as you suggest. Take care; I wish you well, too.

JJ