It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Too much fiber possible?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2007, 03:12 PM   #1
    sonny1950
    (male)

sonny1950 HB User
    Too much fiber possible?

My doctor diagnosed me with "mild excoriated hemorroids". I eat a ton of fiber daily (2 big bowls of lentil soup, oatmeal, refried beans, Cheerios) and drink a lot of water. Obviously this regimen keeps me pretty regular. Other than sitting much of the day I can't figure out what is causing my problem. Is it possible that too much fiber can irritate one's anus?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2007, 06:34 AM   #2
    Booie98
    (female)

Booie98 HB User
    Re: Too much fiber possible?

wow, that is a lot of fiber! I don't have an answer for you, but I can tell you that high fiber doesn't seem to be the answer to all bowel troubles for everyone, which is what pretty much every doctor seems to push. Personally, my stomach is very sensitive to certain types of fiber and I have to be careful, too much and I'm in the bathroom constantly, which makes my condition (chronic fissure) worse. I'm currently trying different doses and adding Miralax. Why not try tinkering with your fiber intake and see if things don't improve? good luck!

Old 05-05-2007, 10:56 PM   #3
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Re: Too much fiber possible?

I think you are intaking too much of the wrong type of fiber.

Some fiber causes your digestion to speed up so your transit time is too fast and it produces a stool that is sorta acidic and your colon has not had time to absorb the fluid-- I think too much insoluble fiber can cause your anus to be irritated.

Soluble fiber is a buking type that slows down your digestion and bulks up your stool --giving your system time to function.

I suggest you try taking a water soluble fiber supplement daily to firm up your stool. I use psyllium twice daily -- the Equate brand from Wal Mart. I have been using psyllium seed husk for 23 years. It will help your hemorrhoids -- it sorta soothing to them!!

When first starting psyllium, it will produce gas. So, start off slowly and the gas will go away when your intestines get use to it.

The psyllium is a natrual fiber so it ferments during digestion -- that is what produces the gas. It is a safe product to use daily...

Last edited by Harry; 05-05-2007 at 10:59 PM.

Closed Thread