It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Pain and constipation following bowel resection

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-07-2007, 07:15 AM   #1
    plam
    (female)

plam HB User
    Angry Pain and constipation following bowel resection

Hi, I had a laparotomy bowel resection due to Stage 4 endometriosis in early February 2007. I had about 8cm removed including part of my rectum. All seemed to go well with the surgery, all endo was removed and bowel was joined okay about 5cm up from anus, so I did not require a colostomy bag. The problem is after 4 months I am still experiencing daily pain in bowel area near the join and I am constantly constipated. Pain seems to occur just before I have the urge to open my bowels. I’ve tried having Metamucil psyllium fibre, lactulose and also slippery elm but nothing is easing the pain or the constipation. I have also had a sigmoidoscopy and biopsy and results were clear – no constriction in the join and nothing unusual in the biopsy except I found it painful when it was being done. Only thing surgeon could say was that I shouldn’t have felt pain and that I must have an overly sensitive bowel. Basically he could not think of anything to help me except to continue as I am. He told me not to take any laxatives such at Senokot (senna laxative) as it could stop my bowel functioning altogether if I become dependent on it. In the meantime, I am really struggling with the daily pain and constant straining. I have to take the Senekot about once a week to clear me out and get some sort of relief otherwise I will be sitting on the toilet forever pushing and straining with no results. I did not have any bowel issues prior to the operation (except some pain when I was menstruating due to the endometriosis) and I was always very regular opening my bowels. I hope someone has some ideas as I becoming so depressed with it all and feel I am in a no win situation here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
    Claud1951
    (female)

Claud1951 HB User
    Re: Pain and constipation following bowel resection

Plam,
    I had a colon resection in Feburary. Had Stage III cancer. My bowels are okay now but I did have some discomfort, like you said, just before the bowels would empty. I realized it was from the gas and once that was gone I was okay.

Had some constipation with Chemo and I tried this and it worked.

Apple/Prune Sauce
    1/3 cup unprocessed bran
    1/3 cup applesauce
    1/3 cup mashed stewed prunes.

Blend all ingredients and store in refridgerator
    Take 1-2 tablespoons of this mixture before bedtime with 8oz of water.
    Note: make sure you drink the water or it won't work.

I did not have the Bran so just used the apple sauce and prunes and it worked for me.

Hope this helps.
    Claudia

Old 06-07-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
    plam
    (female)

plam HB User
    Smile Re: Pain and constipation following bowel resection

Thanks for responding Claudia, its good to hear you are all fixed. I will definitely give it a go as I am slowly going insane.

Cheers P

Old 06-07-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
    maggiemoo
    (female)

maggiemoo HB User
    Re: Pain and constipation following bowel resection

Plam,

Sorry to hear of your problems. I had a colon resection a couple of years ago. Sometimes, you have to retrain your bowel. That involves increasing your fiber intake in your regular diet and as a supplement, yes prunes will help, making sure that you are drinking plenty of water and getting regular exercise. You then need to sit on the toilet after each meal. Relax and do not strain or push. Plan to spend 5-10 minutes. You could read. I play a hand-held solitaire game. A couple of games usually can get the job done. Straining and pushing puts lots of stress on your bowel--and can cause you develop diverticular pockets in your bowel.

Maggie

Closed Thread