It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• severely constipated and dr doesn't seem to care.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-17-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
    phlutter
    (female)

phlutter HB User
    severely constipated and dr doesn't seem to care.

Am I worrying unnecessarily? I have been having problems with constipation for the last few months, since January. It started at the beginning of year with me throwing up foul smelling vomit (smelled like poo).. I thought it was a strange flu bug. Later in the month It happened again, but worse. I found myself going to er one morning because I was in so much pain and was vomiting that nasty vomit and felt bound. They said i was full of crap at the hospital, gave me an enima sent me home with a bottle of magnesium citrate, and told me to take fiber supplements, much to my dismay. I am a very strict Vegan so I eat no dairy or eggs or meat (and have also removed refined sugars and flours from my diet). My diet consists of ONLY fiber, so being told i need a fiber supplement is like telling Jesus to find God.

Anyway I had another instance of the poop vomit in march and after that have been having more issues. I only have a BM once every 3 days (very abnormal for me) and It is getting more painful when I do. I have this pain and pressure down by my tail bone that is horrible! Also my last BM was very slimy and painful to pass (but soft, not hard as one would expect)

Anyway.. Why am i on here? I went to my doctor today and all he did was prescribe me a laxative, even though I have been taking one when i need it on my own (when It gets really bad i have been getting magnesium citrate.. the most powerful laxative ever). I tried to tell him even that doesn't always help like it should. But he just told me that every three days is pretty regular (totally disregarding the other issues)... Am I over- reacting, or should I seek another Dr?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
    VA_girl
    (female)

VA_girl HB User
    Re: severely constipated and dr doesn't seem to care.

going once every three days might be "normal" but it is NOT HEALTHY at all, that's like saying if you 50 pounds overweight you're normal b/c most American's are. I'd see another doc or continue to do your own research. Unfortunately, it seems like this is something doc's can't do much for except perscribe laxitives. You have to learn what works for you, getting enough sleep, reducing stress, and there are colonic's and "cleanses" and many other natural or "alternative" remidies as well. But if you really want a doc, go to a diff one than the one you're seeing.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:16 PM   #3
    Seraph
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

You do need to have this investigated further. The nasty vomit, the pain, and the constipation, all may together indicate a blockage of some sort. Go to another Dr, or go back and insist on a colonoscopy or barium enema or CT-scan to find out what is going on in there. Do not put up with this any longer.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:38 PM   #4
    niknak77
    Veteran
    (female)

niknak77 HB User

Go to a doctor and get a thorough exam. I agree it sounds like a blockage. I know someone who had these same symptoms and they had a blockage and were in the hospital for a while. You need to be taken seriously and get this resolved. Do not wait. Please get help and do not take no for an answer, you must be assertive and advocate for your health. Good luck and take care.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:05 PM   #5
    music47
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

music47 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: severely constipated and dr doesn't seem to care.

Phlutter

It would be a good idea to see another dr for help. It may be something that isn't serious but at least you would know for sure. Take care and my prayers are with you.

Nadine

Old 04-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
    phlutter
    (female)

phlutter HB User

Thank you all for the responses. I was very frustrated when I posted that. I agree that my doc should have done the barium testing... I am in the process of getting another doctor.. (unfortunately my health insurance stinks, and its hard to find a good doctor that takes it). Again thanks for the advice.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:54 PM   #7
    leea1206
    Veteran
    (female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User

I echo the others and say you need a doc that takes you seriously. - If your bowel habits aren't normal for you, and it has been going on for more than a couple of wks, than it's not normal, period. - and the doc needs to order some tests. Also, periodic vomiting is not normal for anyone and this needs to be explored, as well.

You might want to do a search under "bowel obstruction." I was researching this myself for my own problem, and came up with alot of info. I had a colonoscopy 2 wks ago and it was ok. - Will do a CT scan this wk.

Good luck with the new doc.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #8
    countrygirl85
    (female)

countrygirl85 HB User

I also have chronic constipation. Most of the time I have a bm every 3-4 days. I have been doing research on colonic hydrotherapy and will be setting up an apointment next week. This is suppose to help with constipation by breaking up the impacted fecal matter in your colon. I also have mild/modeate acne and I notice that I usually break out the most when I'm constipated. A healthy person should be having a bm 2-3 times a day but I think most peope don't. If you don't have regular bowel movments the toxins will build up and also make it difficult to use the bathroom.

I don't really have too many options since I eat tons of fiber and take supplements and laxatives don't really work for me and can be unsafe if used for extended periods.

I will keep everone posted when I have it done, if anyone is interested.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:10 PM   #9
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I'm not trying to oversimplify the problem, but can I ask how much water you drink? When I don't drink enough I get constipated and especially if you're eating a lot of fiber, you need more water to dilute it.

Closed Thread